Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
EldRick, no one was saying you're an idiot - sorry you interpreted it that way.

*They had to get it out by father's day *and* before the Kobo Touch came out, too.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #17
trescenzi
trescenzi began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
There is a really good chance this is an artifact from it being android based. The browser has the usual android browser features and if you swipe down it brings up the address bar and options. Also when you go to search the button labeled "search" switches to "go" making me think it recognizes addresses as such.

Update:
Looks like even though you can use the address bar it wont actually connect to addresses entered there. Just got onto my gmail account and everything works great.-Scratch that looks like any attempt to send mail crashes the browser.

Last edited by trescenzi; 06-07-2011 at 05:35 PM.
trescenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #18
tom e
tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by trescenzi View Post
Scratch that looks like any attempt to send mail crashes the browser.
Oh, bummer!
tom e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
tom e
tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.tom e can teach chickens to fly.

I had wanted to post something here on this thread from the nook at the store this morning- But I couldn't remember the url (sorry new here!) and when I tried to google, the browser would shut down. Now as I'm recalling though, when I used the Nook Search function to search the term "google calendar" it actually googled it. Wish I was back at the store again. Can anybody confirm that they can or can't use search terms as well as typing url in the search function?

I did view my own blog on it though, by typing the URL, and I did see the main page for the google online apps. I think I even saw a hint of multitouch capability (did the opposite of the 'pinch' on the screen) It did appear to zoom in, but only barely and then got stuck. Maybe the refresh rate was too slow? Maybe I imagined it. (?)

EDIT: Anybody see this? Looks like landscape mode too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1lUgnAP38Q

Last edited by tom e; 06-07-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #20
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom e View Post

EDIT: Anybody see this? Looks like landscape mode too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1lUgnAP38Q
Wow, pretty cool!
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
bdball
bdball began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch, Apple iPad
This is good to see. I have to wait until Fathers Day until I get me Nook Touch and was slightly disappointed that there wasn't a web browser just to check email with. Now it appears that I will be able to. The only other thing I would like that it doesn't have is an RSS reader app. I have an iPad to do everything else but the STR will be my dedicated reading device.
bdball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #22
trescenzi
trescenzi began at the beginning.

Device: nook touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdball View Post
The only other thing I would like that it doesn't have is an RSS reader app.
With respect to RSS if you use google reader to read RSS the mobile app is awesome and worked great when I tried to use it on the nook touch's browser. It would be nice to have some native RSS reading but google reader is a rather good solution for now.
trescenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #23
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
I would just like confirm what EldRick said. I tried to download an EPUB via my Calibre library page, and can not find it ANYWHERE on my device - either through the device itself or connecting it to USB through the computer. It does appear to act like it's downloading the file with a percentage bar and everything, so I'm not sure where it could go.

I did not have enough time to download several files and see if it affects the internal memory. Honestly, the web browser is extremely clunky and frustrating to use. It's neat from a "look, it's something we didn't expect" perspective, but DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL IF WEB BROWSING IS AT ALL IMPORTANT TO YOU.

With that said, I'm anxious for someone with a nook STR who has more patience than I do to see if we can figure what the heck happens to the files. Are they immediately deleted upon downloading?

Last edited by forkyfork; 06-08-2011 at 10:49 AM.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

The Nook STR has a hybrid, proprietary OS on it. To think that a browser can work with this Nook STR OS to download files is probably naive. I suspect the browser is so confused with, or even locked out of, the Nook STR OS file management system that it simply cancels the download. But that is just a guess.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Nook STR has a hybrid, proprietary OS on it.
That's incorrect. The Nook STR runs Android (open and definitively not proprietary), with a B&N skin on top of it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #26
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
[QUOTE]To think that a browser can work with this Nook STR OS to download files is probably naive.[/QUOTE

Funny, the shopping function manages to do it. And, BTW, the STR has been root'ed and is shown on the net running Angry Birds - it's just Android 2.1 under the covers...
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #27
tom e

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
It's neat from a "look, it's something we didn't expect" perspective, but DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL IF WEB BROWSING IS AT ALL IMPORTANT TO YOU.
Yep I totally agree that it's not a browser that is sufficient on its own, as is. I wouldn't buy it just now (at least not with the belief that it's going to be more than they advertise) nor would I recommend anyone else do so.

On the other hand I think it shows us that it's plenty able to do some simple things that I want. Either B&N will see a market in providing that, or someone will provide it via root.. So this is plenty reason to be optimistic.
I do not think it's very capable for real web browsing though, no matter what people root and put on. Basically, it flashes so much just trying to load most pages (or scrolling down them YUCK!) that it would make me crazy. It does have access to the web though, it has Android, and if someone can make (for profit) a complicated rss reader (or calendar, or calculator, email etc) app for color screens, then surely they can make a simpler one with less bells and whistles that works better with this device (taking in account processor, e-ink screen etc). If B&N wants to do it, there may be an additional market in there for them, but on the other hand if not the android marketplace will provide it most definitely when rooted. I actually lean toward the hope that B&N plans to upgrade it down the road, but that remains to be seen.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #28
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom e View Post
Yep I totally agree that it's not a browser that is sufficient on its own, as is. I wouldn't buy it just now (at least not with the belief that it's going to be more than they advertise) nor would I recommend anyone else do so.
. . .
. . . If B&N wants to do it, there may be an additional market in there for them, but on the other hand if not the android marketplace will provide it most definitely when rooted. I actually lean toward the hope that B&N plans to upgrade it down the road, but that remains to be seen.
I think they got rid of 3G for good and put the "Simple" word on the model to give a message. I think this is as far as they want to go with it, but as a simple reader, it's good (except I find the fonts too light). I think they have to cut expenses and their money's on the NookColor.

I can't imagine how sluggish any apps would be on e-Ink. They have a good product basically except for all the missing features for almost the same amount as other readers, and Carnoy has written twice that the Kindle will probably have a touchscreen e-Ink reader by 'Fall' or 'September.' Said this with a "FYI" and put "likely" in brackets almost as if he had to.

Amazon bought TouchCo, probably for a reason.

If it's not ePub that is holding people back, the K3 web browser has been reported by more people lately as better than thought. Has anyone tried to just select an article and then pressed Menu to read it in 'Article mode' ?

I do email by 3G gmail all the time. Had to when not around WiFi this weekend. I use the step by step directions from/to places in Google Maps (text version) and even with the resulting-directions screen you can use Article Mode for it. Has saved me a few times. What it doesn't handle well is Google Calendar.

If B&N put free-3G web browsing on the Nook Touch, it'd get a lot of good press, I imagine.

But if Touch is the thing, I'd wait and get one that works. I have a NookColor and although I enjoy it for what it is, I know by experience how long it takes B&N to fix bugs.

Their latest NookColor update REMOVED the Highlight/Copy/Paste in the web browser.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #29
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The Kindle browser, combined with its slow processor, is nearly unusable, and I've tried hard to like it.

This one is nothing special, but I no longer plan to use the net from this small mono screen anyway.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #30
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
The Kindle browser, combined with its slow processor, is nearly unusable, and I've tried hard to like it.

This one is nothing special, but I no longer plan to use the net from this small mono screen anyway.
EldRick, are you using mobile-device optimized sites?

If not, try my mobiweb.azw file or any of the other ones floating around, but I give some google urls that work better than others. You can download that via your Kindle to your Kindle. Clicking on a URL in that will take you to it without the fuss of going to experimental menu etc and choosing to load a URL etc.

Again, when you select an article, use Menu/Article Mode, which will get rid of the side ads, links, and junk and it's very pleasant and not that slow. Use Back button when through with an article, or do Menu/Web Mode ... to leave Article Mode.

I've been getting fast response times lately. IF you are going to image-heavy sites, it will be painful on any e-Ink screen though.

I forgot to ask, do you have a Kindle 3? That's the one with Article mode and faster web loads.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote