Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Never said it was bad for the buyer but it killed off pools of expertise and did provide customers with a different complaint about retailers not knowing about books any more... save money but now do everything yourself... buyers have made their choice and now have to live with it...

Same for supermarkets and greengrocers/butchers - opening hours better but less reliance on local produce, more difficulties for those who don't drive and lots of complaints about dying town centres... from people who don't use them... people make their choices and have to live with them... what I object to, is the moans then about changes to the way we do things... price now seems to be the dominant factor in peoples' choices and that's fine but don't complain about what goes in the process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That's bad if you are running an independent bookstore, but not necessarily if you are buying books.
Supermarkets have almost killed off independent greengrocers/ butchers/ etc..., but have resulted in a broader selection of items, and shops that are actually open when I have time to shop.
Should there be a fixed price for cauliflower and bacon?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
How do book prices in France and Germany compare with those in UK ...
That's the wrong question to ask, if only because the merchandise is not the same. You could use average prices, I suppose, but a direct comparison is not possible. The questions I'd ask are a) how's the variety in book titles, and b) how's the retail landscape in general. Have the chains taken over yet? Is the sole proprietor bookshop dead? It's under constant attack in Germany, make no mistake, but so far alive and kicking, all things considered.

Quote:
That's bad if you are running an independent bookstore, but not necessarily if you are buying books.
I suppose that depends on the sort of books you're interested in, really. I for one really don't care for all the hyped junk food equivalent of literature, and obviously those are the only ones you'd find in a general super market.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 05-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
That's the wrong question to ask, if only because the merchandise is not the same. You could use average prices, I suppose, but a direct comparison is not possible.

That's a good point. You'd have to find an English language book published in the UK and France without translation. Translation costs can be significant.

Perhaps, it may be easier to compare the same French language title published both in France and Canada, Switzerland, Belgium etc.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #19
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

If the aim is to protect the profits of booksellers, come out and say it; let the citizenry decide if they care that much about them to sacrifice for them. By trying to obfuscate and hide the true intent the protectionists are admitting that, given an open choice, consumers would refuse to sacrifice for the booksellers. That, I would agree with.
It is very clear that this is the point, and it has been said, on many occasions. Booksellers and government officials are extremely clear that the point of the these laws is to support small booksellers, and that without these supports they would fail.

This is not hidden from anyone.
Quote:

Propping up failing/uncompetitive booksellers only delays and magnifies the eventual collapse; instead of one or two or a few failing, thereby strengthing the survivors that adapt, protectionism ensures all remain isolated and uncompetitive and fail simultaneously.
These price controls have been in place in most of Continental Europe (most of Europe, actually) since the end of WWII, sometimes before.

It works fine. You (and I, for that matter) may prefer that matters be arranged differently, but that is a preference, not a requirement. For all I know, the European system may produce higher literacy rates or more readers - I wouldn't be surprised if it did, actually. But it clearly has not caused bookstores to remain isolated or uncompetitive or to fail.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I think that protectionism of profits just turns more people to the darknet. If people want cheaper books, they'll get cheaper books one way or another, within the system or outside it.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert