Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #16
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But is it that simple? Remember, the online ebook sellers have to pay for the machine their website is hosted on as well as the bandwidth used by the store. Then there is paying the employees as well. Not to mention that there are employees who have to get the ebook ready once it's gone through the editing and whatnot. The ebook has to be converted into about 5-7 different formats roughly. All that costs money too. Do you think once the book is in electronic form to go to pre-press, it doesn't have any more expenses associated with it?
And how do you explain how at least 3 sites offer eBooks for Free? (Gutenberg, Munseys, ManyBooks.)
And how do you explain low cost sites? (Like Fictionwise.)

Yes. It is that simple.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
And how do you explain how at least 3 sites offer eBooks for Free? (Gutenberg, Munseys, ManyBooks.)
And how do you explain low cost sites? (Like Fictionwise.)

Yes. It is that simple.
ebooks for free... Easy... those are out of copyright books.

You think Fictionwise is low cost? Fictionwise is about the same, give or take as some of the other ebook retailers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 PM   #18
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
View Post
But is it that simple? Remember, the online ebook sellers have to pay for the machine their website is hosted on as well as the bandwidth used by the store. Then there is paying the employees as well. Not to mention that there are employees who have to get the ebook ready once it's gone through the editing and whatnot. The ebook has to be converted into about 5-7 different formats roughly. All that costs money too. Do you think once the book is in electronic form to go to pre-press, it doesn't have any more expenses associated with it?
Online pBook stores such as amazon also have to pay for the website and the
employees!
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Online pBook stores such as amazon also have to pay for the website and the employees!
So do ebook stores as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:00 PM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
rlauzon is right in pointing out that there are differences in production expenses between print and e-books, and e-book production expenses are lower without a physical product. However, as long as the same house is producing the print books and the e-books, those print-related production expenses aren't going to come off the board, which means that the act of producing e-books will be an additional step for publishers, and incur more cost to them (mainly personnel activity involved in the conversion and maintenance of the websites).

Publishers make their big money on hardbacks. Then they print paperbacks to make additional money, and paperbacks, which cost less to print than hardbacks, don't cost the same as hardbacks. What paperbacks lack in cost, they make up for in volume, so they are still profitable for publishers.

E-books cost less to produce than paperbacks. However, publishers cannot yet depend on making money on the volume of e-books, so they cannot set their profit margins the way they set them on paperbacks... yet. But when enough people read e-books that publishers see measurable and dependable volume, e-books will be priced accordingly, somewhere below the cost of a paperback.

It could also come down to independents setting the market price first, forcing the big publishers to retool to match the price, or try to raise it again, and still make their profits.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2007, 03:46 AM   #21
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
ebooks for free... Easy... those are out of copyright books.
You missed my point: these sites offer eBooks for free, running only on donations, yet their infrastructure stays up for. Therefore the costs of the servers, etc. is very minimal.

Quote:
You think Fictionwise is low cost? Fictionwise is about the same, give or take as some of the other ebook retailers.
That's not what I've seen. Most eBook sellers charge greater than paper (usually hardcover) price for eBooks.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:51 AM   #22
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
...which means that the act of producing e-books will be an additional step for publishers, and incur more cost to them (mainly personnel activity involved in the conversion and maintenance of the websites).
<click><click><click> There, I just produced an eBook. No cost.

Upload to Fictionwise. Let them sell the eBook for me. Again, no cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
E-books cost less to produce than paperbacks. However, publishers cannot yet depend on making money on the volume of e-books, so they cannot set their profit margins the way they set them on paperbacks... yet.
I fail to see the logic. There is almost no cost to produce an eBook. Even if the sale of eBooks is 1/1000 of that of the paper book, it's almost all profit.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:00 AM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

Upload to Fictionwise. Let them sell the eBook for me. Again, no cost.

I fail to see the logic. There is almost no cost to produce an eBook. Even if the sale of eBooks is 1/1000 of that of the paper book, it's almost all profit.
Have you ever even tried to make an ebook? I just looked up your posts as far back as February and couldn't find one. Please go do one, and see how long it takes.

Your claim that it takes no time at all to make an ebook is an insult to all the people here who have put countless hours into converting them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It takes the same amount of time for the author to make an ebook as a papager book. Ok, granted you can have both formats from the same source, but that does not mean it takes no time to make the ebook. The ebook is the same as the paper book except for the final product. The only different is one is electronic and the other is paper.

Now, take away the paper book, let's get rid of it. Now if the book is only going to be electronic, the costs involved to make it to market are almost the same as it would have been had ot been paper only. You have the auther, the publishers, editors, proofreaders, etc.. the same as youi have for the paper edition. It's only when the book is said to be finished do things differ as now we need people to put it together in the various ebook formats and get it out to the ebook shops. Where like a book store in your are you have staff and other costs of running the shop.

Now take that same book, and make both a papaer and electronic editions and you have even more cost involved as you have to pay the employees to make the electronic versions.

I agree that electronic books need to be priced lower enough from the paper editions that it makes it a good deal to the general public. So they say hey, this mony I'm spending on my reader is going to be recuperated by the lower costs of the electronic books vs. the paper books. That's wonderful. But if they see the cost of the electronic book too close to the cost of the paper book, they may say, why bother? There isn't really enough of a cost savings.

This all has to do with how the public perceives the pricing structure. I for one will not purchase ebooks priced close to that of a hardcover. I think that's out and out silly.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I agree that electronic books need to be priced lower enough from the paper editions that it makes it a good deal to the general public. So they say hey, this mony I'm spending on my reader is going to be recuperated by the lower costs of the electronic books vs. the paper books. That's wonderful. But if they see the cost of the electronic book too close to the cost of the paper book, they may say, why bother? There isn't really enough of a cost savings.
If a paper book and an eBook were the same price, I would personally buy the eBook, because I find it a lot more convenient - it doesn't take any space to store. I certainly don't perceive an eBook as having less value than a paper book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

There's no cost to clicking a keyboard. However, there is a cost to paying someone a full day's wage to click that keyboard. How much is your time worth? Your profit has to cover costs of employees' salaries, office space, etc... if you're a publishing house, profits are to cover the house.

Publishers figure everything against whether they will stay in business. They sell so many hardbacks at such a cost, to make Profit A. They sell paperbacks at such a cost to make Profit B. Profit A plus Profit B have to cover the costs of doing business.

If you add even one job for the express purpose of creating the e-books and maintaining the web site, your profits have to cover thet job... either Profit A, Profit B, or the profits from e-books, Profit C. If Profit C does not cover it, everyone else in the house loses profit... and decides not to spend money on something that will not profit them.

This means publishers will have to make adjustments to the way they do business, in order to add e-books to their catalogs and still make the same or better profit. When they have that figured out, e-books will start to proliferate.

Because e-books are considered low-cost to consumers, I expect publishers to start cooking up Value-Added ideas to add to their e-books, or their services, to make them more attractive to consumers, even at higher prices. Their alternative is to further subsidize e-books with included ads for other products (the same way a DVD has ads for products and other movies added to it).

If not, they'll only see less profit, and have to deal with the realities of the changing market.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #27
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Have you ever even tried to make an ebook? I just looked up your posts as far back as February and couldn't find one. Please go do one, and see how long it takes.

Your claim that it takes no time at all to make an ebook is an insult to all the people here who have put countless hours into converting them.
Yes, I have a large number of them sitting on my hard drive, ready to be read. So I do know how long it takes and it takes about 3 clicks of the mouse.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:44 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, I have a large number of them sitting on my hard drive, ready to be read. So I do know how long it takes and it takes about 3 clicks of the mouse.
How long did it take to get those ebooks in the format ready for you to read? MORE THEN THREE CLICKS! If I start with an RTF file and use Book Designer to create an LRF, it takes more then THREE CLICKS to do so. Trust me when I say YOU ARE WAY OFF BASE HERE!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #29
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Speaking for myself, when I convert a book of mine into an e-book format, I have to:
  1. Alter the text file with appropriate headers, chapters, etc for the format;
  2. Possibly doublespace the paragraphs, or substitute paragraph tabs with an extra hard space;
  3. Input text into e-book creation software;
  4. Input cover (a whole 'nother ball game);
  5. Format the e-book meta-files with title, subject, author, copyright data, etc;
  6. Create e-book;
  7. Go back and proof the file, to make sure everything came out properly, and looks right. If something is wrong, I may have to go back to the original text file and start over;
  8. Repeat for the other 5 formats I save each book in.

You couldn't even macro that into just 3 clicks. And every serious publisher is going to have to go through at least all of those steps on each book they format. It may not be a time-consuming process (other than writing and proofing time), but it is step-intensive.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:11 PM   #30
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
How long did it take to get those ebooks in the format ready for you to read? MORE THEN THREE CLICKS! If I start with an RTF file and use Book Designer to create an LRF, it takes more then THREE CLICKS to do so.
Then you are using a poor tool.

Quote:
Trust me when I say YOU ARE WAY OFF BASE HERE!
You have yet to explain how I am way off base.

I assume that all books are submitted to the publishers in electronic form. To do so otherwise makes little sense in this day and age. Once it's in that form, it's simply a matter of saving the file into a standard format (once we have a standard eBook format).

OK. I give in. So it's not 3 clicks. It's 6 clicks. Twice the work that I thought.