Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #16
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
I've converted at least one, my son, and maybe another. I'm certain of my son's switch, he changed his birthday present request over to a Kindle and has been reading constantly on it ever since. The potential convert I'll find out about in a few weeks, someone that wanted to take a pile of books on a cruise without having to actually carry them.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #17
jerrywojo
Connoisseur
jerrywojo began at the beginning.

No one so far. Been trying but no success as yet. Those I know are still entrenched with paper books and seem oblivious to ebooks and there impact.
jerrywojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
I'm a convert myself, sort off. I bought my Sony after seeing my sister's ereader. Now my dad is buying my mom a Sony for her birthday this month. I showed her my Sony and the next day she decided she wanted one too.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Since I got my Gen3, both my parents have bought ebook readers, as well as four of my uncles and aunts.
By the way, I didn't actively convert anyone. Those people just saw me reading with my Gen3 and got interested. I didn't go show them how cool it was, or tried to convince them of the advantages of ebooks. Actually, if anything I disencouraged them, because I told them that there is little material in their own language, but that I don't care because I read in other languages.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #20
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Oh, I use my spare time going door to door and asking people if they've met the Kindle. I ask if they're ready to rededicate their life to Kindle. I also ask if they wouldn't like to spend eternity with the Kindle. I especially like to knock on a door when I know there's an 86% chance the people with be busy doing something else.

No, I don't try to convert anyone to anything.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
My sister is as a voracious reader as I. However, I'm usually the one with the newest electronic "toys." I'd bought my first e-reader when she and I were at the same store. She thought it was cool, but... Perhaps it was a "wait and see thing"...

I went through 3 e-readers before finally getting the Pocketbook 360 (IMSHO, the best!) and, by then, she was ready to get one. The cover, the portability, the cover (!), the ease of use and the cover (!!) were eventually what won her over to actually buying a PB360.

I don't think a day's gone by that she's not used her e-reader. Well, nor I, for that matter.

I think she would have ended up with one, because they are so convenient. But, she got the PB360 because I was able to show her how cool it was.

Marilyn

Last edited by Mickey330; 02-01-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Poor typing skills...
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Just my mom
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #23
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Five: husband, son, dad, father-in-law, one girlfriend

Or six, if you count having to buy a second one for my husband after he lost the first one

And maybe a few of the people who see me reading on my Sony and ask about it.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #24
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I bought a Kindle 2 for my parents. My mother reports that they do use it, mainly to read best sellers aloud to each other in the car while traveling. She also reports that it drew a crowd at the retiree's condo complex where they live. Apparently lots of the older people there had heard about them but she was the first kid on the block to show up with one, so they all wanted to play with it. But this year, over Christmas, when I told her she could adjust the font size, that was news to her - so she's obviously not getting that deep into it.

I'm afraid I might just have been too far ahead of the curve for them. Like when I gave a GPS, maybe ten years ago... they just couldn't see why anyone would be interested in this gadget. It disappeared and I never saw it again. But more recently I was a fly on the wall for a conversation between my parents, aunts, and uncles, where they were all critiquing the nav systems in their various cars, and they were very passionate and well informed about them. Maybe in five years, some ereader will make it onto their radar screen and they'll buy in wholeheartedly, but so far, not.

I'll probably convert more people, when I start having cast-off devices to share. That would be a good excuse to buy more of them, right?

Last edited by elizilla; 02-01-2011 at 01:02 PM.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My husband, my MIL, my FIL for sure. Of course, I don't know how many people I have sung about my kindle's praises to that have bought.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My father's second wife is now reading ebooks, after my father introduced her to my ebooks. No one else I know has picked up ebooks as a result of my urging (because no one listens to me!).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #27
Lordblacknail
Groupie
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Galaxy Tab S7 Plus Kobo Libre Colour
I have purchased a Kindle 3 for my wife, my son, and an ex wife. Four people that I know of have purchased a Kindle 3 due to my happyness with mine. I have purchased two Oberon covers, nobody has bought those that I know of, because of the price, but I tried four covers before I bought this, and this is the best of them. Plus it is beautiful.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #28
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
I bought the Nook and wasn't that keen on it. I bought the K3, gave my wife the Nook and she loves it. I guess I sort of converted her. She was already expressing an interest though.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #29
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Just one. After buying my DXG, I sold my Sony 505 to a workmate, his nose is never out of it now!
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #30
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
I've gave a Sony touch edition to my mother, converted a few friends (usually deciding on nooks or Sony readers), and helped some random strangers make the leap.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote