Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #16
matthewsackmann
matthewsackmann began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
I took an old moleskin journal, ripped out the pages. BAM! Perfect cover for my Sony 950. It even has a strap and a pocket ;-)
matthewsackmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:30 AM   #17
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Mine cost about 70cents - home made from some squishy padded plastic sheeting (a bit like wetsuit material) edged with cloth tape. Looks like crap but actually keeps the Kobo screen scratch-free. The rubbery sleeve I got with the Kobo is great but doesn't protect the screen.
The added advantage of having a home made cover is that no-one would bother to steal it.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #18
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I was saying on another thread, the one I picked up for my 950 was awesome, paid $30 for it and was worth every penny. I can't remember the name of it...I posted the link for it in the Sony forum.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #19
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Most are priced beyond what I'll pay, but to each his own.

I can keep things in top condition without loads of padding, so no need for me to spend loads. With my Kindle, I spent about 4 bucks on a silicone skin. I also used a cheapo sleeve, which I now use for my iPad.

When possible, I don't buy fitted cases, so I can re-use cases later. I can easily afford pricey cases, but they seem a waste to me, and bad for the environment.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #20
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Opus came with a case, which has saved my reader at least once that I know of.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
plasticslug
plasticslug began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I broke down last night and picked up the official Sony pocket edition cover for $30 USD. Feels over priced for a fake leather cover. It also does not seem to offer protection if thrown in a book bag or dropped. What I do like about it though is that its really thin.

I found a good looking external hard drive case that unfortunately it did not fit. It also ran $20 bucks.

I am going to keep my receipt, and new cheaper covers seem to be appearing weekly and if something else comes up or I find the right materials I may make my own.
plasticslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
I felt Amazon's covers were overpriced, and I don't like the hinge system. After looking around I decided to go with M-Edge's Latitude Jacket. I like it because it zips all the way around for more protection. I found a promotion online, and ended up paying $27.99 for it(normally runs for $34.99). I'm just happy I paid under $30.00.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love my Oberon cases. They protect my Kindle and look beautiful. I figure I am carrying my Kindle with me most places. I want something that looks nice, is durable, and says something about me. To me, it was worth paying $130 for my case because of the quality of the case.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #24
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm a big fan of the M-Edge covers. Right now my primary reading device is the K3, and I'm using the Icon Sleeve for it. It's great for on-the-go, protects the device, and it isn't cumbersome because it's not a cover that I have to try to fold back and hold (which I've found is an issue for me with the really light devices). I've also used the Icon Jacket and the GO! Jacket and loved both.

My goal in having a cover is:
1. protect the device
2. style!

The second point is why I'm willing to pay $30-50 for a decent case. I want to spruce it up a bit, give it some color and personality
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
To me, it was worth paying $130 for my case because of the quality of the case.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
LOL To each their own.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #27
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticslug View Post
I have been searching for a reasonably priced case for my reader and have found some ridiculously priced cases. Especially when most are not even real leather and are made of cheap materials.

I have even considered making my own....

So what did you guys do to protect your reader?
I am the Sony PRS-350
Yes, in many cases the covers are way overpriced. However, the Nook and Kindle owners are lucky in that there is a whole lot more to choose from than what Sony owners have. Third-party vendors just ignore the Sony readers, and I think Sony is a little at fault here for their neglect in marketing their own products (at least here in the U.S.).

If you have a PRS-350, it is even worse, as some of the covers for the other devices can at least fit the larger Sony readers. What I did for my 350 was use an embossed leather photo wallet from Barnes & Noble. I snipped out the vinyl photo sleeves and used velcro to secure the reader to the inside. It's not a perfect fit, as the wallet is is about 1/2 an inch longer on the top, bottom and right sides. But at least if I drop it, the edges of the reader will be protected. I've gotten lots of compliments on the cover, and I like that it opens like a real book. The wallet cost me about $15.00 with a B&N discount coupon. It is normally $16.95.

Here's the wallet I used:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27153492.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	62871  
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #28
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I bought a case from an eBay store for 11.99 with free Priority Mail shipping (US). It's fake leather (he had real leather for $19.99, if I recall). It's actually a lot nicer than I expected for the price. It looks a lot like this one:

(I was going to use the image from the listing but it won't work so I found one that was close.) It's all the protection I need, it feels nice in my hands and the price was definitely right. If I ever start doing leatherwork again I'll probably make my own but that's a project for waaay down the road.

CW
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #29
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Right now for my Archos 7 I use a bodyglove e-reader slipcase I bought down at my local WalMart. $14.88 and fits Kindle 2, Nook, any similar sized e-reader. Well padded and zips closed.
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just last week in another thread, I posted these cheapy hard "cases" that I use when I toss a reader into my purse or suitcase

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=11

And Walmart is your friend. I got a pretty quilted cranberry-colored net book case for my iPad. Then put a sheet of foam inside. As long as I have foam to go against the screen and protecting it from torsion, I feel safe.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote