Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #16
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Since my local public library offered e-books I've not bought a single book in months. You could say in a way I'm paying some via local taxes and such but still...
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #17
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Since my local public library offered e-books I've not bought a single book in months. You could say in a way I'm paying some via local taxes and such but still...
How does it work in your area? Do you have to come physically
and get some kind of medium?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #18
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
How does it work in your area? Do you have to come physically
and get some kind of medium?
It varies from library to library.
I am a member of 3 different libraries in Australia.
The Yarra Plenty which is located somewhere in Victoria - a couple of thousand kilometres from where I live. I have never set foot inside one of their branches and in fact I'm not even sure where they are. I applied online and was posted a reply with a library card and password etc. If I ever wanted to borrow a pbook I would need to show ID but I have been sucessfully borrowing ebooks for several months.

I am also a member (and have been for 20 years) of my local library - Sunshine Coast. I used to physically go there to borrow pbooks but haven't been there since I got my Kobo. They sent me an email telling me that they now had ebooks (very small collection so far) and I was immediately able to start borrowing using my existing library card number and pin. Probably at some point in the past 20 years I needed to prove who I was. They post me new cards every couple of years.

I also recently joined the Brisbane Library the large major city 100 km from where I live. According to someone on the phone I was entitled to reciprocal membership with my local library card but when when I went there to get my library card (had to go in person and show ID) I wasn't able to join until I explained that I regularly worked in Brisbane City - luckily my company has 2 offices there. I didn't need to prove that I worked in Brisbane they just took my word for it.

I understand that it is also possible to join the Free Library of Philadelphia which contrary to it's name costs $15 to join (I think it's probably free if you live in Philadelphia which is quite reasonable! ) Apparently it is available to those outside the US as well. Again it is possible to join online.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote