Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Since when is Wodehouse a guilty pleasure? He is teh Master.

I'd also have to say that mysteries are my guilty pleasure. Except that with age I don't feel guilty about many pleasures any more.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Chrichton is not a guilty pleasure. Jurrassic Park was one of those books I rushed home to read and was depressed when it was over.

The Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett (found in the YA section) is a guilty pleasure.

Beauty's Release/Punishment/etc. by Anne Rice (Naughty, so naughty)

The Harry Potter series.

The CS Lewis series starting with The Lion, The Witch and ...

I audiobooked the first Twilight, but realized I am not the target demographic so the romance did not grab me.

I have the next Hunger Games audio book lined up. Another YA but with more depth than Twilight because of the society background.

Thanks to the AMC series "Walking Dead" I am planning to read the 40+ "graphic adult novels" (aka comic books).

Books are like food. Sometimes you spend $$$ for exotic, subtle flavors in wine, meat and veggies. And other times a good Togo's sandwitch or Carls Jr burger hits the spot. I dont limit my pallet nor my bookshelf. (Probably why I am constantly dieting and paying for storage space for cases of old paperbacks).
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogboy1978 View Post
I loved Jaws and Jurassic Park. Also got hooked on every single one of Dan Browns books. The embarassing confession would be I am a 31 year old guy who finished reading Twilight: Eclipse about 10 minutes ago and am now logging off because I can't wait to start the fourth book
Welcome to Mobileread! You're not the only Twilight fan
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #19
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Since when is Wodehouse a guilty pleasure? He is teh Master.
Didn't they have Jeeves and Wooster (Frye and Laurie) on PBS?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
If I were to quibble, it would be to say that Fry was a tad too young for Jeeves, but no matter. It was terrific. I love Messrs. Fry and Laurie and I think even teh Master would have approved.
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #21
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I've gotten addicted to those Stratemeyer Syndicate novels (and their ilk) meant for YAs. I started to read them because they were some of the only things written in the early 1920s. I've got a writing project set there and thought it would be good for background, especially WW1 stuff (which is obviously toned down a lot for its intended audience, but enough filters through that it's still interesting).

But then I just got hooked.

Very formulaic, even the titles.

Air Service Boys

http://manybooks.net/authors/beachcha.html

Brighton Boys

http://manybooks.net/authors/driscollj.html

There's actually like a dozen different "_____ Boys"

Ruth Fielding (was a nurse for a while)

http://manybooks.net/authors/emersona.html

Penny Parker (this is when I realized I was hooked, set in the 30s and 40s, more like Nancy Drew, the author used to write those)

http://manybooks.net/authors/wirtm.html
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #22
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Now I feel bad. All these books that apparently I should be feeling guilty about reading. I bury my head in shame.

No. No. At most I will concede that I do enjoy some books for which I was not the target demographic (being male and (over?) due for a midlife crisis). Books like the Harry Potter series, the Artemis Fowl series, the Twilight series, all of Pratchett's books for younger readers. These I can read over and over and never get sick of them. ...

Oh hell, I admit these too: I love The Wind in the Willows and adore all the Winnie-the-Pooh books - but they must all come with illustrations by E.H.Shepard.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:27 AM   #23
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crozie View Post
I have to admit I quite enjoyed Battlefield: Earth...
I too have to admit I loved Battlefield Earth but I'll expand the list to everything I have read by L Ron Hubbard, he wrote some good books, but I hate to admit I like anything he wrote.

A little like admitting you love the work of Ed Gein.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #24
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Edit sorry double post

Last edited by Mortis; 12-10-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If I were to quibble, it would be to say that Fry was a tad too young for Jeeves, but no matter. It was terrific. I love Messrs. Fry and Laurie and I think even teh Master would have approved.
Fry didn't match my idea of what Jeeves should look like, but I thought he did a fantastic job in the role, although I haven't seen but a few episodes. I wish they'd repeat the series. Hugh Laurie's Bertie was spot-on.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #26
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
Books are like food. Sometimes you spend $$$ for exotic, subtle flavors in wine, meat and veggies. And other times a good Togo's sandwitch or Carls Jr burger hits the spot. I dont limit my pallet nor my bookshelf. (Probably why I am constantly dieting and paying for storage space for cases of old paperbacks).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Fry didn't match my idea of what Jeeves should look like, but I thought he did a fantastic job in the role, although I haven't seen but a few episodes. I wish they'd repeat the series. Hugh Laurie's Bertie was spot-on.
I have the DVDs. Very re-watchable and well worth it.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #28
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I've been working my way through the Tom Swift Jr. adventures. I have fun reading them, but I wouldn't read one on the bus, and I'm glad they were shipped in plain brown wrappers.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #29
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
This really is a very strange thread. So far I've yet to see any book mentioned which I'd be at all embarrassed to admit to having read. Apart from Twilight that is, which I wouldn't read unless threatened with a severe beating by a vicious mob of rabid Samoan wrestlers. On PCP.

I guess the most potentially embarrassing books I've read were a number of so-called "sexy westerns" (does such a "genre" still exist, I wonder...). Very badly written and not even terribly sexy. That was probably some 28-30 years ago though and I really don't think they can be held against me today. Apart from those I've not read anything I wouldn't be perfectly happy to bring up in even the most high-brow and snobbish literary circle, including such non-PC jewels as Honoré Gabriel Riqueti's (Comte de Mirabeau) "The Lifted Curtain or Laura's Education", or "Justine, or the Misfortunes of Virtue" by Donatien Alphonse François (Marquis de Sade).

If it's well written, it's worth reading.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #30
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
This really is a very strange thread. So far I've yet to see any book mentioned which I'd be at all embarrassed to admit to having read.
Well, it's a thread for "guilty pleasures". There are books I feel guilty about reading, but don't consider them pleasures. There are books I take pleasure in reading and feel no guilt, even though they might be considered trashy mind candy in some circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
If it's well written, it's worth reading.
Well, that's where the when-even-I-consider-it-trashy mind candy part comes in. My guilty reading pleasures are those books I know will be rather badly written compared to that same author's other works (which themselves are often at the shallower end of the genre pool to begin with) but I go and read and tend to like parts of anyway, spending time upon them instead of revisiting the "better" stuff.

And this is how To Sail Beyond the Sunset ends up being my second-favourite Heinlein novel while I think I've only ever read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land once each.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote