Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Could someone post a screenshot or two of the Reader with the Vista fonts installed?
If you go to this thread and download the first attached version of Little Fuzzy and then load it on your reader, you can see what Calibri looks like.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
The Error I'm getting is:

And here's the contents of the flash.log file:
Code:
Begin flashing -> Wed Jun 27 23:41:22 PRS 2007
Copying helper binaries
Copying B:/bin/stat_fs
Checking cramfs image size ....
Cramfs image size: 4263936
Image size is OK
Flashing Fsk partition with the new image...
SDM device 0(nor0) : sdm device NOR 0
SDM device 1(sbl0) : sdm device NAND/SBL 0
... Erase from 0x013c0000-0x017e0000: .................................
... Program at sbl0:0x013c0000: .................................
... Erase from 0x00020000-0x00040000: .
... Program at sbl0:0x00020000: .
Checking flashed partition against the image...
SDM device 0(nor0) : sdm device NOR 0
SDM device 1(sbl0) : sdm device NAND/SBL 0
Hmm, this is quite strange. It seems the flashing worked fine but verification failed. The only idea that comes to mind is that there is a bad block in the flash... but I think that should be caught by the controller and remapped automatically... I don't really know what else to suggest here, sorry
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Hmm, this is quite strange. It seems the flashing worked fine but verification failed. The only idea that comes to mind is that there is a bad block in the flash... but I think that should be caught by the controller and remapped automatically... I don't really know what else to suggest here, sorry
Any chance you might be willing to give it a go to see what's you can do?
Old 06-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The only idea that comes to mind is that there is a bad block in the flash... but I think that should be caught by the controller and remapped automatically....
Do you mean that it looks like there is a bad block in the Reader's internal Flash memory? That would be tough to do anything about.

It's odd that it works fine as long as I'm not trying to add the fonts -- that's why I thought I must have made an error while "adjusting" them.

I may try adding them one at a time and see if that gets me any closer.

Thanks for looking at it, igorsk, I appreciate it greatly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you go to this thread and download the first attached version of Little Fuzzy and then load it on your reader, you can see what Calibri looks like.
That's a good idea, JSWolf!

I decided to make a Reader-sized PDF to display samples of all the fonts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vista Font Samples.pdf (320.3 KB, 665 views)
Advert
Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist

Oops.

I tracked the problem down to being with the copy of Calibri I was using, so I switched to another one, and it seemed to go just fine but ....

Now I'm stuck in the "Updating firmware now..." screen and it's been there for ... a long time now.

It doesn't seem to want to hard reset, and it doesn't seem to see the card so I'm not sure how to start over.

Anybody got a suggestion, or is it time to contact Sony's Tech Support folks?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist

Okay, Now it's telling me "Firmware update is not finished correctly. Please execute firmware update again."

Perhaps I need to find the Sony Firmware files now....
Old 06-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, diabloNL to the rescue -- he already had the fix posted here.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist

Okay, diabloNL's instructions got me out of the woods, but the loop went on long enough that now my battery is drained.

I think I've decided from this little experiment that the Reader certainly can drain its battery in less than 3~4 weeks. I was at 2 blocks when it started and an hour of trying to update its firmware (before I knew how to fix it) means that it's flat now. So I guess the silver lining here is that I've demonstrated that there is a fair amount of power management going on in the Reader under normal circumstances.

BTW, I've added diabloNL's unbricking instructions to the Wiki, so they'll be easier to find next time I want them.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist

Okay, I think I've figured out a part of what was going wrong with my attempts to replace the fonts -- I think I had some of the internal attributes off.

So, for the future reference of those who come after me, I hereby attach screen shots of the internal attributes of the original Sony Reader fonts, as seen and displayed by FontCreator.

They are Monospace, Serif, and Sans Serif, in that order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monospace.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	4234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Serif.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	4235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans Serif.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	4236  
Old 06-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So do you have the replaced fonts working now?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Wow instead of going through this whole saga isn't it just easier to embed the fonts in the LRF file?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Wow instead of going through this whole saga isn't it just easier to embed the fonts in the LRF file?
When you embed the fonts in the LRF, the page turns slow down noticeably. Try the Little Fuzzy I posted with the embedded font and you'll see.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #29
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So do you have the replaced fonts working now?
Nope.

I'm beginning to think that M$ may have done something obnoxious to them, that's interfering with the load somehow. The only one that would actually load was the Consolas, and that's the one I care the least about -- like not at all. I'm giving up for the evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, it would be easier, for books I make myself, at least. But it really slows down the page turn speed (like by a factor of 2~2.5).

Changing the font would also give me those fonts on all BBeB, TXT, and RTF files in one shot -- including the ConnStore books (unless they embed theirs, which I wouldn't put past them).

But I do appreciate you're making sure that I thought of that approach, nonetheless.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm I haven't noticed a major slowdown with embedded fonts in LRF files generated with html2lrf. Certainly not more than 1.5 times which is tolerable. The problem with replacing fonts is that the replaced fonts' metrics will not match the original font, so if a LRF file has features that make use of absolute positioning (e.g. tables) formatting will be all screwed up.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote