Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
lynus
lynus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
unfortunately, that's not a software bug, but a design flaw.
The "Alt" keyboard key behaves in a special way.
While all other keys generate usual linux "press" and "release"
input message, this key doesn't generate anything when used alone.
If used in a combination with the most other keys -- doesn't matter sequentially
or simultaneously -- four input events are generated:
  • "Alt" pressed
  • "key" pressed
  • "key" released
  • "Alt" released

But, the upper row keys, i.e. QWERTYUIOP combined with the "Alt"
do non produce Alt/ event sequences like shown above,
they simulate numbers instead. For example, pressing and releasing Alt/Q causes
the following input messages to be generated:
  • "1" pressed
  • "1" released

So, by design it is not possible to enter the Alt/Q .. Alt/P sequences from
the Kindle keyboard. This is true at least for K3W and KDXG models.
so how to fix it?
you know, <Alt>+Q and <Alt>+W just work fine.
lynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Just to clarify h1uke

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
unfortunately, that's not a software bug
... [snip] ...
So, by design it is not possible to enter the Alt/Q .. Alt/P sequences from
the Kindle keyboard. This is true at least for K3W and KDXG models.
Still, Luigi somehow managed to code a work around in his "terminal program"

such that, for example, one can input
0 by pressing simultaneously <Alt><P>
] by pressing simultaneously <Back><P>
} by pressing simultaneously <Shift><Back><P>
) by pressing simultaneously <Shift><Alt><P> yellow in attachment

but instead of the expected input
7 by pressing simultaneously <Alt><U>
- by pressing simultaneously <Back><U>
_ by pressing simultaneously <Shift><Back><U>
& by pressing simultaneously <Shift><Alt><U> blue in attachment

&* are input instead of & by pressing <Shift><Alt><U> hence the "two characters" problem identified by lynus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anotated Myts screen.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	66657  
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
lrizzo
lrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynus View Post
hi,thanks for your great job.
i came across a problem:when i press <Alt>+<Shift>+u,in order to input &,and the screan came out &*,two symbols.
and i press <Alt>+<Shift>+i,the result is &*,too.
any solution?
A workaround is:
keep shift pressed;
press and release alt;
press and release u;
release shift

Given that it happens only with keys U and I, I am inclined to think that it is a hardware problem -- the keyboard probably is not designed to handle too many keys pressed at once, and SHIFT+ALT somehow short the lines used by U and I so the keyboard driver generate both events (I have verified this with additional debugging) when either key is pressed.

Maybe i should use <Shift>+<Aa> on the top row to generate the special symbols: Shift and Alt are too unconveniently located to be pressed together.
lrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
supert
supert began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
Unfortunately I cannot get it to work.
I am using a Kindle DX Graphite, 2.5.7 and have started with ./myts.arm & as root from a telnet session. I have the binary and the .ini files in /mnt/us/kiterm. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: apparently, you have to turn `usbNetwork off and on again for it to work.
Am testing it now.

Last edited by supert; 02-16-2011 at 03:27 PM.
supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #20
lynus
lynus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrizzo View Post
Maybe i should use <Shift>+<Aa> on the top row to generate the special symbols: Shift and Alt are too unconveniently located to be pressed together.
yeah,maybe it would also fix the u&i problem .
lynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #21
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Luigi, just FYI. I came across this fixedc.fon CP437 6x13 font at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/fonts/ it is a (small but readable) font you might want to consider for 80 columns terminal display in Kindle Portrait mode.
If anyone is interested, I have implemented the above font so Luigi's terminal can display 80 columns in portrait mode. I have also included the DSMID patch preventing Luigi's launchpad parser to stop parsing.

[EDIT 2011-04-03]
I have also changed the terminal to 36 rows by 100 cols e.g. the max rows in landscape and the max cols in portrait that the new font allows displaying.

I have also changed the help screen to be more comprehensive (it is admittedly too crowdy) and made its bacground lighter.

[EDIT 2011-04-04]
New compile of the day
- Corrected inversion of Esc and Exit on the keyboard help screen
- F1 to F5 did not function for me, I modified them to the xterm correct escape sequences, now all Fn keys work in htop.
- Added the profile patch below -- thanks DSMID -- and added in /mnt/us/KiTerm/profile an export TERM=xterm statement (KiTerm is the directory I use for myts)
- Matched my line endings with original source to stop diff from thinking everything had changed.

Find the source patches and arm binary here:
KiTerm 36x100.zip

Screen image:

Name:	DSC02415.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	69462

Last edited by PoP; 04-04-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #22
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Very nice !

Here's another patch:
After applying, Kiterm will execute anything found in /mnt/us/local/profile when creating a new shell.
Useful for defining aliases, setting variables, changing current dir ...
Attached Files
File Type: gz kiterm.profile.patch.gz (298 Bytes, 238 views)
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #23
skippper
skippper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
PoP, thanks for your effort. What the programm is executing on your screenshot? It looks like a "top", but is a little bit diferent.
skippper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 AM   #24
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
htop ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #25
PoP

it is htop.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
PoP

[EDIT 2011-04-07] Following up on my previous version

- I have added escape sequences for the Home and End keys (which now work in htop, mc, vi, nano, ...)
- I have modified the keyboard help accordingly (it is now even more crowded, welcoming anyone's suggestion to make it more elegant).

Patch and binary:
Screen Picture:

Name:	KiTerm 36x100 2011-04-07.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	69633

I am still struggling with the box drawing caracters which are incorrectly rendered in mc. I don't quite understand special[] in terminal.c ...well, got to keep some fun for later!

Last edited by PoP; 04-08-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #27
space4
space4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Aura HD
I'm running kiterm in DX, it occupy only a small portion of the screen and the font is very small also. Is it possible to change to use a config file to specify the font size and no. of rows/cols?
space4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #28
PoP

@space4

There is currently no support for a config file. Everything is hard coded, including the character shapes of the font.

The DX has a screen size of 824x1200 pixels. Reserving 10 rows for the help box, a maximum terminal window of 137 columns by 53 rows with the 6x13 small font or 103 columns by 41 rows with the original 8x16 font is thus possible on the DX (without losing any character in portrait or landscape).

Look at the patch file and you will see the source changes required for a new version. A new binary with no config file, and using one of the two current fonts, should be easy to compile (the hardest part being the installation of the cross compiler environment).
Old 07-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #29
space4
space4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Aura HD
@PoP
Thanks for the info! I didn't notice the orig post is with 8x16 font. I'll get back that one for use.

Yes, you are right, getting a cross compiler environment is the hardest part. Since I'm on Mac, a quick scan of the posts mostly gives a Linux compiler and requires a Linux box.
space4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #30
Halberdier
Halberdier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I would love it, but unfortunately I can't get it to work. Since you all appear to be up and running, I expect that many can help. Thank you in advance.

I copied the three files (launchpad.ini, the keyboard ini and myts.arm) in the launchpad directory.

Now Luigi says that it is assumed to have access to the shell (wasn't the terminal used mostly for this? I must have missed something really basic). The best idea that came to my mind was to add the following line to the launchpad.ini:

Code:
T T Y = !./myts.arm &
Then I entered shift shift space to reload the .ini, then my fresh and mighty shift T T Y. The system answers:

Code:
^[T T Y] Success!
Can I assume that the terminal interpreter is running?
I tried now shift T to launch a terminal named "1", according to Luigi's launchpad.ini. The system answers:

Code:
^[T] Failure
What did I do wrong?
Halberdier is offline   Reply With Quote