Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #16
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkygirl View Post

Q: Will my sample books rollover to K3 when I register it on my account?
No. You can re-aquire books from your archive to your new Kindle, but not samples. You'll have to go to the individual book pages and re-download samples.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
No. You can re-aquire books from your archive to your new Kindle, but not samples. You'll have to go to the individual book pages and re-download samples.
I haven't checked in a while but samples used to be DRM free. If that's still true, copying the samples from K1 to K3 might work.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Bad example because I've always been able to upgrade from one Windows OS to the next one for less than if I bought the next one outright to put on a new HD
Hmmm good point...!!
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I haven't checked in a while but samples used to be DRM free. If that's still true, copying the samples from K1 to K3 might work.
I did exactly that when I received my K3. It worked fine except for 2 samples that kept indexing over and over. I deleted those 2 and have been happy ever since.

krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I did exactly that when I received my K3. It worked fine except for 2 samples that kept indexing over and over. I deleted those 2 and have been happy ever since.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #21
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
K1 is a relic now, why wouldn't you trade it in?
Besides K3 is only 140$, that's nothing.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #22
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
K1 is a relic now, why wouldn't you trade it in?
Because it does the only thing I need:
Lets me read books.
Lets me download by whispernet.
Lets me get samples.
Lets me enjoy reading.

I will admit that the K3 probably has more bells and whistles, but I really don't need any bells and whistles other than what the K1 has. It turns pages when i mash the button, so I can actually read all the way through a book.

That's why.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #23
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Because it does the only thing I need:
Lets me read books.
Lets me download by whispernet.
Lets me get samples.
Lets me enjoy reading.

I will admit that the K3 probably has more bells and whistles, but I really don't need any bells and whistles other than what the K1 has. It turns pages when i mash the button, so I can actually read all the way through a book.

That's why.
That is very understandable. What I have noticed on a few different forums (and it drives me nuts) is people with a K1 (released when? 2007?) that with the release of the newer Kindles that they feel they are 'forgotten' and feel they should get a free upgrade to the new model or a firmware update to match the abilities of the newer models.

Technology changes. If people want the functionality of the newer, they should buy the newer. At some point Amazon (and any company) have to draw the line in software/firmware support for older models. Heck, the device is 3+ years old, if you have a K1 and call Amazon they help you, not many companies will provide support like that for an older model product.

I don't believe people who bought them when they first came out should consider that they paid a 'premium'. They paid the cost of $450??? at the time, which was the cost/value of the product at the time. I remember years ago we bought a top of the line Gateway computer, cost us $6500AUS all in total. 3 years later we didn't contact Gateway expecting an upgrade to the latest and greatest selling at half the price that we originally paid for ours.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
I have a 4000$ power pc mac laptop sitting in a bin that has 2x less power than a 4 year old GPS device that runs CE that costs 80$. These are the way things go.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #25
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yup. That will work also.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Actually, mobi format samples (usually .azw file extension) seem to be device-independent, but topaz format samples (.tpz) are not (based on my admittedly minuscule sample of samples).

But you have to be able to sift them out from your other Kindle content, so it can be a little tedious. Not necessarily going to be easier than just downloading fresh copies.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
But you have to be able to sift them out from your other Kindle content, so it can be a little tedious. Not necessarily going to be easier than just downloading fresh copies.
I'm too lazy to look right now but it should be easy to find the samples once the Kindle is connected to a computer. Samples have a slightly different naming scheme from normal Kindle books. If I weren't so lazy, I'd tell you what it was but as I said, I'm too lazy to look.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #28
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
OK, I know they aren't just doing this for me because of my prefect looks but if any of you have a Dell you get special offers from them all the time to buy the "newest and greatest"! That's just one example but it's certainly not unheard of in the electronic world.

Yes, life's short and TBH, this is the first time I've been whiny about having a K1 instead of a K3 that was anything past drooling. I was just venting - I'm not going to picket or even think of leaving Amazon ever! In fact, I was just talking about how great the history feature is there since I can go back and see what sonic toothbrush I bought 5 years ago so I can order the correct replacement heads
Dell gives those to everyone. Really what they do is mark the computer up higher then it should be and offer discounts so people feel like they are getting a deal. Kind of like furniture stores and car dealerships. For the most part those stores are happy if people will pay the sticker price but realize that most people will not.

But I get the vent. I love my K1 and was a bit sad when I welcomed my new DXG into the house. Poor Tavar has barely been used since then. Octavian is king, well First Lord anyway....
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #29
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Chunkygirl, might I suggest that Christmas is coming up. If you can afford the hit giving your K1 to a deserving friend and/or relative would allow them to share your ebook collection and allow you to be a "bad influence" yourself.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote