Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think the idea of an ereader as a gift is very lovely and should get you out of any hotwater you are in. pre-loaded with a few books in addition to cookbooks would be very thoughtful

the ziplock works well for the bath, so I would think it would also work for the kitchen. I know that there are some covers for the kindle at least that are designed for being used in wet environments. check Amazon
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #17
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I have been using an old computer - we put the oldest one in the house in the kitchen as a recipe holder/weather station/argument settler (via Google). I could see a problem using an ebook reader due to the small screen size and having really dirty hands (try staying clean while making meatballs).
That said, if my Kobo can handle the interior of my tote bag then ereaders could probably handle anything! A large ziplock bag would probably work as a protector and wouldn't have the problem of trying to unwrap the cling wrap (and make sure no little bit get torn off and lodge themselves in USB cable slots)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
GlenBarrington,

You might want to take a look at this article: A Kindle in the kitchen.

It addresses the point about protecting the reader from splashes and stains, but not the one about it going to sleep.

Do some readers have a time-out setting that prevents them from hibernating after so-many minutes? I know the Kindle doesn't, but it would be useful if it did.

I wasn't going to *clock in* today at MR, but I had to say "thank you" for the link. I have been looking for some vegetarian recipes.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #19
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I use my Jetbook in the kitchen all the time when I'm just doing a cup of soup and sandwich for lunch. I have time for a page here and a page there.

However if I'm cooking full blown dinner that requires any attention to timing, then the jetbook stays out.

As to splash's etc I just keep my JBL out of the line of fire, away from the stove or where major mess's happen. I do have mine on a home made wire reading frame which does simplify things a bit. Just need one finger clean to turn pages.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #20
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I have been using an old computer - we put the oldest one in the house in the kitchen as a recipe holder/weather station/argument settler (via Google). I could see a problem using an ebook reader due to the small screen size and having really dirty hands (try staying clean while making meatballs).
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...creen-Monitors
Or
http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=1163

And perhaps a copy of Windows 7 for touchscreens.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-17-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have my rooms set up with small, inexpensive powered speakers so I can take my netbook from room to room. That way, I can watch or listen to anything I want - music, videos, weather, traffic, news, radio, books, recipes, etc.

In the kitchen, I place it inside a cupboard so it's out of harms way.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #22
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
The K3 has a microphone on-board, doesn't it?

Would be nice to have a 'turn page' voice command added in a future firmware update for such an environment.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post
The K3 has a microphone on-board, doesn't it?

Would be nice to have a 'turn page' voice command added in a future firmware update for such an environment.
That would be cool.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #24
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
All, My wife loves to cook and she has expressed some curiosity about my PRS-350. I was thinking for Christmas, maybe I would get her a reader and a couple of eBook Cookbooks.

Knowing my wife, she might try to read in the kitchen, cookbooks or not and she might get all sorts of splashes on the reader. Should I think about a waterproof/pancake batter proof and/or a shock proof reader? Is there such a thing? I've never paid any attention to that sort of thing.

Is the kitchen just too hostile for an eBook reader device? Anything I should look out for?
Whether the kitchen is a hostile environment depends on the user, I'd say. Some cooks are neat and others don't care. A holder and perhaps a ziploc bag is a good idea though.

What I would reconsider is the device. Personally I like to be able to see the whole list of ingredients at once, for example, and a 5'' screen is very small for a cookbook. You have to turn the page back and forth. I've tried using my ebook readers in the kitchen, but have ended with preferring my netbook. More powerful for that task and still portable.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #25
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
I use my 505 in the kitchen all the time, since I get most of my recipes from the Internet - it saves having to print them out.

Get her a Leisure Cover from M-edge if you're worried about splashes. I even use mine in the bathtub.

A Platform Cover would be good to prop it up for hands-free reading.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I use a ziploc bag and use the commands from this thread to turn off the screensaver on the Kindle.

At home screen press Del and Sym at the same time and then type:

;debug on

Press Enter

Press Del and Sym at the same time and then type:

~disableScreensaver

Press Enter.

When you want to enable the screensaver press Del and Sym at the same time and then type:

~resumeScreensaver

Press Enter

It works quite well but the biggest issue are poorly formatted cookbooks.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
It works quite well but the biggest issue are poorly formatted cookbooks.
That's something a netbook doesn't have to worry about.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The bigger challenge with an e-reader in the kitchen is they constantly go to sleep which means you have to turn it back on and possibly find the page again.
Sony can be set to sleep after 60 minutes or not at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Wrap it in clingfilm?
Ziplock bag might do ok.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Some really good cook books are available in ePub. The Todd Wilbur Clone Recipe cook books are available.