Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-08-2024, 09:46 PM   #16
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
You can try generating apnx file with a calibre extension
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 06:36 AM   #17
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
You can try generating apnx file with a calibre extension
Thanks, there is already one generated when I send to my Oasis so I just copy that over to my Scribe.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2024, 07:58 PM   #18
Ebookus
Digital Grenadier
Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
where is the guy that normally tell us what is new in the code?
Ebookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 08:07 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Maybe he has better uses for his time and effort at the moment?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 10:34 PM   #20
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebookus View Post
where is the guy that normally tell us what is new in the code?
If you mean me, I looked but did not see anything else of interest.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2024, 05:38 AM   #21
Ebookus
Digital Grenadier
Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
If you mean me, I looked but did not see anything else of interest.
apologies, I wasn't sure who it was. Thanks anyway!
Ebookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 05:50 AM   #22
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Scribe, Libra Colour
My Oasis and my Scribe are both on 5.16.8 and I just noticed there’s a (new?) “Software Update” menu item in the “Device Options” section (might be slightly different name as my Kindles are set to another language). I don’t remember this, and indeed it’s not available on my Voyage (stuck on 5.13.6). Was this added recently? I might have just missed it.

Also it doesn’t seem to work; clicking on the menu item brings a pop-up window claiming that the device is running the latest version of the software, on both devices, which is incorrect as 5.16.9 is officially out and available for manual download from the Amazon website. I know Amazon likes to roll out automatic updates in batches and not all at once, yet I would hope that if the option is given to the user to actively check for software updates, then the actual latest update would be available for download directly on the device when that option is used.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 07:55 AM   #23
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
My Oasis and my Scribe are both on 5.16.8 and I just noticed there’s a (new?) “Software Update” menu item in the “Device Options” section (might be slightly different name as my Kindles are set to another language). I don’t remember this, and indeed it’s not available on my Voyage (stuck on 5.13.6). Was this added recently?
Yes, it is a recent addition.

Quote:
I know Amazon likes to roll out automatic updates in batches and not all at once, yet I would hope that if the option is given to the user to actively check for software updates, then the actual latest update would be available for download directly on the device when that option is used.
It does not say "check for updates" anywhere and that is not what it does. It lets you know whether or not an update file is present on your device waiting to be installed.

(It certainly is misleading. I think that a better design would be to eliminate the arrow and ability to click on the menu choice when no update is present)

I agree that a function to actually check Amazon's servers for updates would be handy. Practically every other electronic device with Internet access has such a feature.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-16-2024 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-16-2024, 10:56 AM   #24
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It does not say "check for updates" anywhere and that is not what it does. It lets you know whether or not an update file is present on your device waiting to be installed.

(It certainly is misleading. I think that a better design would be to eliminate the arrow and ability to click on the menu choice when no update is present).
If this is the actual desired functionality then I’d argue it’s more than misleading. Although it indeed does not literally say “check for updates”, at least in French, the wording ”Mise à jour du logiciel” strongly implies an action to update the firmware (i.e. ”update software” rather than the perhaps more ambiguous ”software update”).

Furthermore when clicking the arrow, the exact message I get is ”Votre Kindle est à jour - Vous disposez du logiciel le plus récent (version 5.16.8)”, which translates to ”Your Kindle is up to date - the latest version of the software is installed (version 5.16.8).”. The message is not about there not being a firmware update file on the device, it states very clearly and incorrectly that the latest version is installed. To me this is clearly a bug.

Last edited by BionicGecko; 06-16-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-16-2024, 03:08 PM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If this is the actual desired functionality then I’d argue it’s more than misleading.
The wording is slightly different in English. On my PaperWhite the menu choice has two lines:

Software updates
Your Kindle is on the latest software

Clicking the item yields this popup dialog box:

Your Kindle is up to date
You have the latest software (version 5.16.9)

It is certainly misleading. A more accurate statement would be “You have the latest software that we currently want you to have”

I suspect that this user interface change is designed primarily to cut down on support calls from Kindle users. Previously there was an “Update your Kindle” menu option that was grayed out when no update file was present on the device. They probably got lots of complaints about that button not working. The new UI appears to be more responsive to the user but in the end just does the same thing as the old one.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-16-2024 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 03:29 PM   #26
BionicGecko
Addict

Quote:
It is certainly misleading. A more accurate statement would be “You have the latest software that we currently want you to have”
Nailed it!

Quote:
I suspect that this user interface change is designed primarily to cut down on support calls from Kindle users. Previously there was an “Update your Kindle” menu option that was grayed out when no update file was present on the device. They probably got lots of complaints about that button not working. The new UI appears to be more responsive to the user but in the end just does the same thing as the old one.
That makes a lot of sense and I would agree this is likely the reason; a good idea with an unfortunately mediocre implementation. Let’s hope they won’t actually get an increase in support calls from people like me who just want to download the shiny new firmware right now!