Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Being Android, it can be rooted and run koreader etc to read sideloaded books. I appreciate not everyone can or wants to do that, but these can definitely read more than nook books. Even unrooted, you can sideload. I have a 6" and just bought a 7.8".
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Yeah, just hooked up to a computer I borrowed. Simple transfer. But no syncing across devices as far as I can see. So, IMO, still pretty poor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
nooks can display side loaded ePub no problem. The software on the nook ST os rubbish. The device is seriously partitioned with not all that much space left for side loading. Another thing is the font rendering software does not do all that good a job. When I last used the nook ST, I had a Sony Reader PRS-T1 and comparing the ST to the T1, the ST was lousy at font rendering compared to the T1.

The major issue with the 6" nook with front light is that the front light is very delicate and you can easy get scratches and/or pin holes. Rubbish!

And all nooks have awful software. If you have to root and install another reading program to be able to actually use it, then it's not worth owning.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #19
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
Yeah, just hooked up to a computer I borrowed. Simple transfer. But no syncing across devices as far as I can see. So, IMO, still pretty poor.

Agreed. And no collections for sideloaded books. You have to just search by name. But I root and use koreader so not an issue for me.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #20
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
nooks can display side loaded ePub no problem. The software on the nook ST os rubbish. The device is seriously partitioned with not all that much space left for side loading. Another thing is the font rendering software does not do all that good a job. When I last used the nook ST, I had a Sony Reader PRS-T1 and comparing the ST to the T1, the ST was lousy at font rendering compared to the T1.

The major issue with the 6" nook with front light is that the front light is very delicate and you can easy get scratches and/or pin holes. Rubbish!

And all nooks have awful software. If you have to root and install another reading program to be able to actually use it, then it's not worth owning.
Js, you are getting mixed up with the older models. This screen and light are not fragile and the storage is not partitioned. The native reader is also functional.
Advert
Old 12-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Js, you are getting mixed up with the older models. This screen and light are not fragile and the storage is not partitioned. The native reader is also functional.
I know the native reader is functional. But the firmware overall is lousy. B&N have no clue how to design a UI.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:51 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I know you like Kobos and don't like Nooks, but there have been a lot of posts about Kobo screen issues also. Quality control is almost non-existent now-a-days — EVERYWHERE. Companies have, apparently, decided that's it cheaper to replace devices than ensure that they are good when shipped. I don't like it, but that's the reality of the situation and Kobos are as prone to defects as are Nooks. With Nooks AND Kobos AND Kindles AND (fill in the space) you will, unfortunately, end up having to exchange defective units. What I've seen of older Nooks (I don't have the newer ones) they seem to have a slightly better build quality than Kobos.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #23
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hmm -- in my opinion, nothing touches the screen on my Voyage

(save for warm lighting - which is a very nice extra feature, no question)
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #24
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’ve got an Oasis and the Glowlight Plus, gotta give the nod to the Glowlight Plus’s screen.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #25
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I’ve got an Oasis and the Glowlight Plus, gotta give the nod to the Glowlight Plus’s screen.

I've had an Oasis 3, Glowlight Plus and Voyage (and several other models).

It's Voyage all day long on screen crispness and clarity.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The shame of the Glowlight Plus is that while being superb for reading ebooks, it is really only so for Nook Books.
What makes you say that? I sideload all the books I read on my 2015 Glowlight Plus.

Since Nook uses ePub, the Nook is less locked to Nook books than a Kindle is to Amazon books, really.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm calling BS on this. You must be referring to the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight as that is the only Nook that had problems remotely like what you describe. That device was ahead of the game, being released months before the Kobo Glow and Kindle Paperwhite. It's also seven years old. Let it go.

To be honest, Nook seems to have much better hardware quality control than Kobo or even Amazon. You don't see widespread reports of Nooks with lighting issues. Their screens have always been top notch.

Look, Nook software is behind Kobo and Kindle. That is true and B&N should really step up their game. But when you try making complaints that don't have a basis in reality, it just makes everything else you say suspect.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #28
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm calling BS on this.
Brandon Sanderson just wants to write his books in peace. Stop calling him.

I can't believe I got the name wrong.

Last edited by Fluribus; 12-24-2019 at 04:34 AM.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #29
Lparsons21
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What makes you say that? I sideload all the books I read on my 2015 Glowlight Plus.

Since Nook uses ePub, the Nook is less locked to Nook books than a Kindle is to Amazon books, really.

I should rephrase. Yes, you can add ePub to the Glowlight easily but when you do it is only on that device. It won’t sync across devices running Nook software and there doesn’t seem to be any way to have it do so.
That is unlike almost all other ereader apps/devices which have methods in place to add to the global library. In my case, I have devices all over the house and never know which one I might pick up to read on. To me that is handier than carrying a device around the house.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I should rephrase. Yes, you can add ePub to the Glowlight easily but when you do it is only on that device. It won’t sync across devices running Nook software and there doesn’t seem to be any way to have it do so.
I only have experience with Nook and Kobo and they both behave the same way.