Old 05-29-2024, 04:42 PM   #16
Falafelteller
Enthusiast
Falafelteller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Tolino Vision Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
No need to wait.

Removing the bottom row on my home page was the first thing I did on my Libra Colour. That and other patches from 4.38 work just fine on the LC.
Anychance you can point me to the patch?
Falafelteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 04:56 PM   #17
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E; Kobo Clara BW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
A lot of the older (4.38.21908) patches apparently continue to work on the new devices.
The only ones from my patch collection that did not work were 'Remove line from bottom tab bar' and 'My 24 line spacing values'.
The former I left disabled as it only seems to be a line on the home screen. The patch looks quite small so I tried to brute-force the offset but could not find a match and eventually gave up.
The latter I replaced with 'My 10 line spacing values' which does still work.
Similar experience here. The "My 10" is actually fine for my purposes after adjusting the values.

There is something strange about the "Remove line from bottom tab bar" patch. I found a new offset of 866 on one of the github WIP pages. This allows the patch file to be generated and installed without error, BUT the patch has no apparent effect. That is, the line is still present.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2024, 05:30 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafelteller View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=356106
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 07:39 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
No need to wait.

Removing the bottom row on my home page was the first thing I did on my Libra Colour. That and other patches from 4.38 work just fine on the LC.
Right on. I haven't tried any patches on the Clara Color.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 11:30 PM   #20
bluepeter
Connoisseur
bluepeter began at the beginning.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafelteller View Post
I also would like to get rid of that row on my e-reader (though I'm using an older device than you), so I've been watching this thread with interest. I'm a complete novice to patching, so a lot of what's been said has gone over my head.

I'm not sure whether I've correctly understood your question here, so I apologise in advance if the little information that I have is of no use to you. Do you mean "where can I download the patches?" or "which patch or patches is or are relevant to disabling the bottom row on the home screen?"? I've found the answer to the first of these questions, but not the second.

Anyway, this thread gives some instructions and the necessary links.

That, though, is as far as I've managed to get. If anyone can now show me where I want to type "yes", I'd be very grateful.
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2024, 12:07 AM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open the .yaml files in the src folder with a text editor (I've used Notepad on Windows). Read the descriptions and change no to yes for the patches you want.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:44 AM   #22
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Open the .yaml files in the src folder with a text editor (I've used Notepad on Windows). Read the descriptions and change no to yes for the patches you want.
Yes, thanks, I've got that far. My problem lies in understanding the descriptions. I don't find them as clear as I would like. I'm a total novice here, and am not sure what to look for.
Old 05-30-2024, 01:46 AM   #23
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Which patch descriptions are unclear?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 02:14 AM   #24
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Which patch descriptions are unclear?
None of them mean a lot to me.

I don't see one (or more) that I understand as meaning "get rid of the bottom line on the Home screen". I assume that I should be looking for something else that implies this, but my problem lies in that I don't know what that is. The language used is clearly not aimed at someone with as little understanding as I have of the way that Kobo firmware works.

Some are obviously not currently relevant, e.g., ones that appear to alter the presentation of text within books. But others might (or might not) be helpful. I simply don't know.

I suppose that all of this probably means that I shouldn't be trying to tinker with my device, and should just give up. There appears to be some really good stuff, but it's not designed for ordinary users (read "idiots" if you prefer) like me.

(It all reminds me of the enormous manual that came with my amplifier. It says things like "This option changes that", but doesn't explain what "that" is or why I might find it useful to change it.)
Old 05-30-2024, 02:44 AM   #25
hatuluang
Connoisseur
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepeter View Post
None of them mean a lot to me.

I don't see one (or more) that I understand as meaning "get rid of the bottom line on the Home screen". I assume that I should be looking for something else that implies this, but my problem lies in that I don't know what that is. The language used is clearly not aimed at someone with as little understanding as I have of the way that Kobo firmware works.
Please find the sample of kobopatch.yaml,

You will find "get rid of the bottom line on the Home screen" under libnickel
Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: yes
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobopatch.zip (2.4 KB, 15 views)
hatuluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 04:06 AM   #26
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatuluang View Post
Please find the sample of kobopatch.yaml,

You will find "get rid of the bottom line on the Home screen" under libnickel
Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: yes
Thanks, but these seem to be two different things.

I see "Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen", and can set this to "yes". That's good, but doesn't appear to be what I was looking for. AIUI, that affects only the top right of the Home screen, and not the bottom.

A search of libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml doesn't reveal anything that I can see along the lines of "get rid of the bottom line on the Home screen".
Old 05-30-2024, 04:28 AM   #27
hatuluang
Connoisseur
hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hatuluang ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Thanks, but these seem to be two different things.

I see "Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen", and can set this to "yes". That's good, but doesn't appear to be what I was looking for. AIUI, that affects only the top right of the Home screen, and not the bottom.

A search of libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml doesn't reveal anything that I can see along the lines of "get rid of the bottom line on the Home screen".
I'm sorry, I was mistaken for the patch.

The patch is under nickel:
1. Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen: no
2. Remove footer (row3) on new home screen: yes
Note: Only pick one to patch (yes)

Please find new kobopatch.zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobopatch.zip (2.4 KB, 35 views)
hatuluang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 05:07 AM   #28
bluepeter
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatuluang View Post
I'm sorry, I was mistaken for the patch.

The patch is under nickel:
1. Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen: no
2. Remove footer (row3) on new home screen: yes
Note: Only pick one to patch (yes)

Please find new kobopatch.zip
Thank you very much for your help.

Job done - I no longer have that irritating bottom line on the home screen of my Clara 2E. The remaining content of that screen has been respaced, so that the missing row isn't obvious. It looks good.

Now, if I'd gone with

Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen: yes
Remove footer (row3) on new home screen: no

instead, I take it that I'd have larger images and less white space? That might look better if I do the same to my Mini (which is also running v. 4.38 firmware).
Old 05-30-2024, 05:53 AM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now, if I'd gone with

Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen: yes
Remove footer (row3) on new home screen: no

instead, I take it that I'd have larger images and less white space? That might look better if I do the same to my Mini (which is also running v. 4.38 firmware).
Yes, I actually use this option on both of my Kobos.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:56 AM   #30
Falafelteller
Enthusiast
Falafelteller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Tolino Vision Color
Thank you all for the information. I think I understand the basic process of kobo patching now.
Falafelteller is offline   Reply With Quote