Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #16
iceman00
iceman00 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Regarding your last point. Is there any way of retaining the matadata that I've manually updated. If I transfer my library from my laptop to the PC I'll lose the metdata that I've manually corrected. Can I simply keep the metadata.db and overwrite the new one once copied across?
iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman00 View Post
Regarding your last point. Is there any way of retaining the matadata that I've manually updated.
I believe you can use save to disk to back up your files. I think when these are added back into Calibre they retain all previous metadata. Save to disk from one machine, clean up the duplicates, then import/add those to Calibre on a second computer or to a different library location on the same machine.

Quote:
If I transfer my library from my laptop to the PC I'll lose the metdata that I've manually corrected. Can I simply keep the metadata.db and overwrite the new one once copied across?
You are correct you would lose your previously edited metadata.

No you can not just copy over the new metadata.db with the old. I believe the metadata.db file contains within it your entire structure indexed including metadata so you could not do the latter.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Regarding your last point. Is there any way of retaining the matadata that I've manually updated. If I transfer my library from my laptop to the PC I'll lose the metdata that I've manually corrected. Can I simply keep the metadata.db and overwrite the new one once copied across?
If you copy the whole calibre librqry folder over then it will include the metadata.db file. Note that the metadata.db file is synchronised with the folder/file names that are in the current calibre library, so you cannot simply copy it to another library unless you also copy all the other files as well.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #19
iceman00
iceman00 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Tried to scan onto my laptop but it came up with an error message saying it had hung. I'm just going to try and remove the duplicates manually.

Thanks for all your help.
iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote