Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #16
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
There has to be something different. I was at Staples yesterday where they had the Nook side by side with the Kindle 3. The Nook had far more contrast.
I remember when I first looked at ebook readers last December or January at Best Buy, and for whatever reason, the Nook text looked much sharper to me than the Kindle. (That was the non-touch version.) I wonder if it was the difference in fonts?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
nesler
Zealot
nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nesler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
I remember when I first looked at ebook readers last December or January at Best Buy, and for whatever reason, the Nook text looked much sharper to me than the Kindle. (That was the non-touch version.) I wonder if it was the difference in fonts?
Tricky, given that the first generation Nook used the screen that the Kindle 2 had.
nesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Was the Nook Touch at Staples in demo mode only where it cycles through preset screens? That's how the one that I saw at Best Buy was. The preset screens look very good. Then I went across the street to B&N where I could play with one that wasn't in demo mode. I was less impressed once I was able to test how the screen refresh every 6 pages works and change the different fonts etc. I prefer the Kindle.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I compared my Kindle 3 to my brother in law's Nook touch on the weekend. The screens looked the same. I didn't notice any better contrast on one or the other.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

I compared my K3 with my Sony 350 and Kobo Touch. I used fonts that were as close to the same as I could find. The text was sharper on the K3. This comparison was in my home and not in a retail store. If you compare devices in a retail store you might be surprised that they look different in your home. Retail stores tend to have a lot of fluorescent lights and can have a lot of natural light as well which tends to be much brighter than the typical home.

So two points to making good comparisons: 1. Use the same or very similar fonts, and 2. Compare in lighting that is very similar to where you read most of the time. Otherwise you are wasting your efforts.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-22-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
Tricky, given that the first generation Nook used the screen that the Kindle 2 had.
It was a while ago, but it seems as though the Nook screen was whiter than the Kindle which improved the contrast to my eyes. Or maybe it was just the preset pages which others suggested.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #22
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
I have both the nook str and the kindle 3 and I can say from real world usage that the screens are indeed identical. I am actually having someone see both this weekend to decide their choice for a first ereader and will be sure to ask if they see a difference. For me personally, I reach for the kindle 95% of the time
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote