Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I read somewhere that amazon was experimenting with a light sensor that would turn on the light when the light in your environment fell below a certain point and would turn it up to a certain level. One could over ride the light setting but it would be a nice addition to the paper white in my opinion.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #17
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Already in HDX 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I read somewhere that amazon was experimenting with a light sensor that would turn on the light when the light in your environment fell below a certain point and would turn it up to a certain level. One could over ride the light setting but it would be a nice addition to the paper white in my opinion.
That feature is already in the Fire HDX 2013. However, I turned it off and prefer my own settings which I keep under all light conditions.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Waterproof is never going to happen on a standard device (unless it is about 25 years from now), far too expensive to implement.
It can be added as a third-party enhancement for $100.

Surely including it as part of the manufacturing process couldn't add more than $50 to the retail price, and probably closer to $25.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #19
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Since that feature is available on the fire then amazon will not have any problem adapting it to the paper white.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:27 AM   #20
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
In order of importance:

- higher DPI.
- faster processor.
- larger screen.
- improved margin/line spacing options.
- better support for PDF (the current support is absolutely pathetic).
- support for ePub (probably not gonna happen...).
- support for CBR/CBZ formats.
- up to 16 GB storage (to accommodate for the above formats).
- better image viewer.
- wireless charging and comes with a Bluetooth adapter for transferring files, making it completely air-tight/waterproof. Or, instead of wireless charging, they could implement solar cells into the screen (or at least on the back, on the opposite top margin, etc), and never have to charge the device again!

Last edited by DSpider; 08-20-2014 at 04:51 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #21
xibalban
Connoisseur
xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.xibalban knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
In order of importance:

- higher DPI.
- faster processor.
- larger screen.
- improved margin/line spacing options.
- better support for PDF (the current support is absolutely pathetic).
- support for ePub (probably not gonna happen...).
- support for CBR/CBZ formats.
- up to 16 GB storage (to accommodate for the above formats).
- better image viewer.
- wireless charging and comes with a Bluetooth adapter for transferring files, making it completely air-tight/waterproof. Or, instead of wireless charging, they could implement solar cells into the screen (or at least on the back, on the opposite top margin, etc), and never have to charge the device again!
+1

I'd add expandable memory support & higher RAM too.
xibalban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
- No recessed bezel. The only reader I know which has no recessed bezel is the kobo aura, it's not that nice actually but I think it's a design problem.
- more reactive device. I'm curious about how fast a eInk device can be...PW2 is supposed to be faster than PW1, is it because of the faster processor or did they improve the screen ? I guess the screen technology sets a limit very below LCDs, not much a problem when your're just reading but accessing notes, dictionary, etc is still a pain.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I won't be unhappy if they make no changes at all. I like the Paperwhite as it is. However, I would like a smaller body with the same size screen, as in the Kobo Aura. For me the screen size is just right.
I wouldn't want the "flush screen" that the Kobo Aura has. A raised bezel makes turning the page a lot easier because you can feel where the edge of the screen is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I wouldn't want the "flush screen" that the Kobo Aura has. A raised bezel makes turning the page a lot easier because you can feel where the edge of the screen is.
The kobo Aura flush screen just seems to me to be another layer between us and the screen. I don't see how a flush screen is possible without doing that, so I'd settle for a much smaller recess, say 0.25mm.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #25
Tiburscyo
Tiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTiburscyo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Larger screen

In my opinion a new kindle paperwhite would only make sense if it came with two major changes:

Color screen;
Larger screen;

I don't know if it is possible to have an e-ink color screen, but my biggest dream is a kindle paperwhite with 8", with better support for PDF and CBR/CBZ files.
Tiburscyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A raised bezel makes turning the page a lot easier because you can feel where the edge of the screen is.
This is true. Lots of accidental brushing of the screen with this device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The kobo Aura flush screen just seems to me to be another layer between us and the screen.
Also true, which makes this device much less sharp than most of my other readers.

I do love the size and weight. I would consider a Kindle of this size and weight.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #27
Statch
Connoisseur
Statch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it isStatch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Galaxy 3, Kindle Fire HD
Physical page turn buttons. That's the only thing I miss from the device I had before the PW.
Statch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #28
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Generally, I am very happy with my pw2, so I would say make one of those again, but do it better even if it is only incrementally so in many areas.

I would keep the size the same as its a comfortable one, but I would make the screen taller and reduce the top and bottom bezel, that screen should also be higher resolution assuming that colour still isn't an option.

I would improve the lighting, it got better in the pw2, but improve it again this time too.

Software should be improved both in performance and functionality, other regions should get stuff like goodreads too.

If they are going to push this whispersync for voice stuff more now its rolling out in more regions then maybe they need to bring back audio on the reader too and up the storage accordingly.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #29
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
My wish list:
  • Amazon, please open the device for custom modifications and stop treating it as your property !
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #30
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I'd like a more rugged reader--water resistant is fine. Also, the ability to set the lock screen to the cover of the current book. I hate having to constantly reapply the jailbreak whenever there's an update.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote