Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo firmware.
...and Amazon screens on Kobo hardware. Isn't that what you meant to add?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
...and Amazon screens on Kobo hardware. Isn't that what you meant to add?
Nope. I mean ditch the Amazon firmware for Kobo firmware.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #18
Solo1959
Connoisseur
Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 5th gen, and many in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
You only have to tap about ½" from the left edge to page forward, you don't have to swipe. I have small hands and can do that easily while holding the Paperwhite in my left hand.
Yes, I know this works, but for me it's not the BEST option.
Solo1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope. I mean ditch the Amazon firmware for Kobo firmware.

Sounds good. I'll toss them all in the trash now. Oh, wait! One is stuck in Customs due to the virus issue. What should I do, Jon?

Old 03-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #20
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The biggest enhancement the Oasis should have come with is a lower price. Just to get one in 7 days requires ordering a bundle priced at $319.97 (with leather case, charger, 32 GB, etc.). Lack of epub compatibility at this price is also annoying. I like the buttons for page turning, but the amount of space devoted to the buttons and whatever lies underneath is criminal. Why can't they learn from Apple? Final concern is reliability, which I have to say is not one of Amazon's strengths.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Sounds good. I'll toss them all in the trash now. Oh, wait! One is stuck in Customs due to the virus issue. What should I do, Jon?

Wait for it to arrive and then refuse to accept it.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:24 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
The biggest enhancement the Oasis should have come with is a lower price. Just to get one in 7 days requires ordering a bundle priced at $319.97 (with leather case, charger, 32 GB, etc.). Lack of epub compatibility at this price is also annoying. I like the buttons for page turning, but the amount of space devoted to the buttons and whatever lies underneath is criminal. Why can't they learn from Apple? Final concern is reliability, which I have to say is not one of Amazon's strengths.
So buy a Kobo Forma which has a similar design and it does support ePub.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #23
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Off subject but I got my Oasis during the Black Friday period sale and got the Gen 10 32 GB Oasis version with WiFi and cellular communications for $80 off the normal price, $270 + Tax. I agree though that the high end Kindle readers have not been cheap which is why I bought my Gen 4 PW as a so called refurbished version. $160 for the maxed out version, 32 GB, WiFi and cellular and no ads rather than $250. Received unit looks unused.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Wait for it to arrive and then refuse to accept it.

Awwwkkk!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:04 PM   #25
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
So buy a Kobo Forma which has a similar design and it does support ePub.
Amazon Kindles support Epub files too indirectly (not documented by Amazon). Change the file extension to .PNG and email it to your Kindle device as an attachment with "convert" in the email title and the file will be converted to Kindle format and delivered to your device. Sender email address must be in your Amazon approved sender email list. I have used this method without a problem. BTW I have both the Kobo Forma and Aura One 32 GB too. I also have Sony and B&N readers so I think my Epub reading capability is well covered.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Amazon Kindles support Epub files too indirectly (not documented by Amazon). Change the file extension to .PNG and email it to your Kindle device as an attachment with "convert" in the email title and the file will be converted to Kindle format and delivered to your device. Sender email address must be in your Amazon approved sender email list. I have used this method without a problem. BTW I have both the Kobo Forma and Aura One 32 GB too. I also have Sony and B&N readers so I think my Epub reading capability is well covered.
That's a really good idea to convert ePub to Mobi. NOT!
Old 03-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #27
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Keep the waterproofing but go back to the clarity/crispness of the PW3 or Voyage when it comes to the screen.

I don't mind buttons but would like them to be incorporated in a way where they are a choice but don't necessarily hog real estate or make the device larger/awkward shaped.

I'd like the color adjusting feature.

Better processing speed, it's still too slow.

Keep the power button on the bottom or the side (the current Fire has on the top and I hate that).

More customizable software. (Ex: Customizable screen savers, able to create collections with more ease and speed (processor), customize the home menu with options, perhaps series sorting of some kind.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #28
Solo1959
Connoisseur
Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Solo1959 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 5th gen, and many in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Keep the power button on the bottom or the side (the current Fire has on the top and I hate that).
The button on the bottom isn't a great idea. My Oasis has that. When I read, I keep the page turn buttons on the left. The power button is always turning off my device. It needs to either be recessed or moved to the side.
Solo1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1959 View Post
The button on the bottom isn't a great idea. My Oasis has that. When I read, I keep the page turn buttons on the left. The power button is always turning off my device. It needs to either be recessed or moved to the side.
The power button on the Oasis is one of the reasons I read on my Voyage more often than I read on my Oasis.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #30
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I like the buttons for page turning, but the amount of space devoted to the buttons and whatever lies underneath is criminal.
You mean the bezel on one side? For me, it's just right: big enough that my thumb fits over it to sit on top of the topmost button without obscuring the screen. Asymmetry is definitely the right thing to do here, for a device like the Oasis intended for one-handed usage.

They can make the side bezel whatever size they like, but they obviously can't shrink what lies beneath too much, since what lies in the "spine" beneath is 100% of the Kindle's non-screen electronics, including battery. (However, as the Oasis 2 and 3 show, the spine beneath need not be the same width as the bezel above.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote