Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-16-2022, 04:14 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
And the only reason I have been using GoodReads since I started my reading journey two years ago, was so I could fix and perfect the information in my Calibre library, but I soon discovered that not all the information in GoodReads is accurate and I would have to double check quite a lot using Wikipedia or the publishers and authors websites/blogs.
I've used GoodReads to get the correct series order. But I have no GoodReads account.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:14 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I get it. Most people like to talk about the books they read and swap recommendations. I'm weird because I don't.

(Actually I'm even weirder... I don't use any social media either. MR is the only place I regularly visit)

Nah, you're not weird, I'm more or less the exact same way. Once, for one year, a friend talked me into logging all my reading on GR.

But I hated it, didn't use recommendations. I mean seriously, in all my 60+ years on this planet, I have NEVER had trouble finding something to read. Not once!

All the experience taught me was what I already knew. I read a lot. Probably too much.

Time spent logging reads is that much time I'm *NOT* reading, so I promptly abandoned ship when the year was up to the dismay of my friend. Glad she enjoyed it, but it was not for me.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2022, 08:00 PM   #18
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Never used either and not planning to. I manage my library in Calibre on my PC and that's all I need. I don't want or need recommendations, journals, notes, statistics, nor any social activities. Reading, for me, is a private and solitary pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Nah, you're not weird, I'm more or less the exact same way. Once, for one year, a friend talked me into logging all my reading on GR.

But I hated it, didn't use recommendations. I mean seriously, in all my 60+ years on this planet, I have NEVER had trouble finding something to read. Not once!

All the experience taught me was what I already knew. I read a lot. Probably too much.

Time spent logging reads is that much time I'm *NOT* reading, so I promptly abandoned ship when the year was up to the dismay of my friend. Glad she enjoyed it, but it was not for me.
Add me to this group too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:36 PM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
It's been interesting to see how a thread about someone trying a new (for them) reading tracker site has been basically taken over by people outlining at great length and in some cases repeatedly, why they don't use such sites. A bit like a teetotaller crashing a "here's my fvaourite cocktiails" thread.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:59 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It's been interesting to see how a thread about someone trying a new (for them) reading tracker site has been basically taken over by people outlining at great length and in some cases repeatedly, why they don't use such sites. A bit like a teetotaller crashing a "here's my fvaourite cocktiails" thread.
Why do you wonder? "My way is better than yours" is a part of human psyche that's probably millions of years old.
Advert
Old 11-16-2022, 10:28 PM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why do you wonder? "My way is better than yours" is a part of human psyche that's probably millions of years old.
It's not an attitude I share. For example, I don't crash "I just bought a new Kindle" threads espousing the virtues of Kobo. Imo, it just dliutes the signal-to-noise ratio of the thread, and information helpful to the OP could get buried.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:54 PM   #22
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
This OP was sure surprised by the turn this thread took. I thought my initial inquiry was reasonably straightforward.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:57 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It's not an attitude I share. For example, I don't crash "I just bought a new Kindle" threads espousing the virtues of Kobo. Imo, it just dliutes the signal-to-noise ratio of the thread, and information helpful to the OP could get buried.
Good for you, but I'm not a particularly polite and well-behaved person, and if I want to crash, I'll crash. Yes, I do it in real life too. With pleasure.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:03 PM   #24
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
if I want to crash, I'll crash. Yes, I do it in real life too. With pleasure.
Why??
Old 11-16-2022, 11:15 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
Why??
I just don't get along with people and don't even want to get along. I'm pretty antisocial. Not in a criminal sense, and I'm not a psychopath either, but I generally want other people to keep their distance from me. It's also a personality trait and probably inborn, as I had a perfectly normal, happy childhood. Unfortunately for my parents, the material they had to work with resisted all their well-intentioned attempts to make a normal person out of me.

(I loved my parents and we got along better than I did with most other people. The last remark is not meant to be bitter or ironic. It's just a fact).
Old 11-17-2022, 12:11 AM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

And I apologize for hijacking your thread. I'll keep mum from now on, I promise.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:08 AM   #27
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Scribe, Libra Colour
Maybe to bring back the thread on track, I’ve been considering switching to StoryGraph for a while now but am experiencing hurdles on the GoodReads side with the library export - in many cases the Date Read field is not exported. This issue is indeed mentioned in the SG import instructions.

I’m not too keen on hunting down all the missing dates read in the GR GUI, so basically I’m held back by a bug on GR’s side.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:15 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One advantage to using SG and/or GR is that you can easily see what you've been reading and when when you don't have access to your spreadsheet or Calibre. I can easily access SG or GR from the cell phone while I am not at home in most cases.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #29
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Maybe to bring back the thread on track, I’ve been considering switching to StoryGraph for a while now but am experiencing hurdles on the GoodReads side with the library export - in many cases the Date Read field is not exported. This issue is indeed mentioned in the SG import instructions.

I’m not too keen on hunting down all the missing dates read in the GR GUI, so basically I’m held back by a bug on GR’s side.
I've read of others having that problem as well. I haven't noticed it in my exported books, but I haven't looked at them all. Like a lot of people I tag each book with "read 2021" or "re-read 2021", and that's probably good enough as a reference for me. But I get that people want ALL of their GR data to be properly imported. Hopefully, TSG will find a fix.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:15 PM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I've read of others having that problem as well. I haven't noticed it in my exported books, but I haven't looked at them all. Like a lot of people I tag each book with "read 2021" or "re-read 2021", and that's probably good enough as a reference for me. But I get that people want ALL of their GR data to be properly imported. Hopefully, TSG will find a fix.

I hope so, although it wouldn't surprise me if GR is quite happy that their data doesn't export cleanly