Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
My local library system (the Mid-Hudson Library) is one of the few in New York state that doesn't offer ebooks. i called them and discovered they hadn't a clue as to what I was talking about. Makes me wonder why I always vote to pay more taxes for them .
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #17
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
hey, just kind of happened upon this thread today after a Google search and I just wanted to post to all of you living out in Nowheresville Illinois that you can get a Free Chicago Public Library card if your local library is part of their reciprocal program. If you live in Nowhere, Illinois but NOT in a reciprocal area, you can get a card for $100. I think their selection is about fair. I was actually a little surprised that such a large library system doesn't have a better ebook selection.

But -- I have cards for both the South Suburban library system and the CPL and I've gotten ebooks from both. My Mom is down in Central Illinois and we're going to be setting her up with a Chicago Pub Library account soon since her library also has no ebooks and she's really interested.

http://www.chipublib.org/aboutcpl/cp...ocalborrow.php
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #18
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
I live on the Mississippi Gulf coast. AKA right in the middle of no-library-eBook-checkout-country. Mississippi doesn't lead the bottom of just about every national poll by accident.

I've been looking at the various libraries that sell non-resident cards. Several of them looked promising. Unfortunately, all of them I've - with some difficulty - checked out require you to physically show up at the library to either apply for a card, or pick the card up.

I think I understand their reasoning for wanting to physically see the applicant - check ID, etc. - for patrons wanting to sign out pBooks. They have a responsibility to protect the library's assets, and have to do all they can to ensure the borrower returns the media. However, there's really no risk to the library if you're only signing out eBooks. It's already DRM protected and time limited. What are you going to do - sell the book, tear it up, not return it?

I'd be happy if I could get an eBook only library card at one of these libraries - even if I had to pay a (reasonable) annual fee.

Last edited by MSJim; 10-12-2009 at 08:34 PM.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #19
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I'm planning a road trip to Sacramento, California so I can get a card there.
I don't know where you live, but I believe that being a resident of California is the only requirement. I live in Amador County and have a library card from Sacramento and have borrowed books. I don't feel the website is the most user friendly though.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #20
Jerboa
Jerboa began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
According to the Sony Library Finder, no libary in Oregon has ebooks through Overdrive. My local one offers audiobooks and video downloads.

Oregon isn't even on the pull-down menu.
Neither is Maine. Audio books only.

Or New Hampshire.

I thought about using a relative's library card..but they are all in no-ebook zones. grrrrrr......
Jerboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #21
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
THANKS for the link! I have 23 libraries!
How does THAT work? Is Alabama inundated with online libraries? My search comes up with about 10-12 online libraries, only 2 of which I'm eligible for (NYPL and Brooklyn). Makes NYC feel like the boonies.

Last edited by DrMoze; 10-14-2009 at 10:37 AM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #22
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
How does THAT work? Is Alabama inundated with online libraries? My search comes up with about 10-12 online libraries, only 2 of which I'm eligible for (NYPL and Brooklyn). Makes NYC feel like the boonies.

She lives in BIRMINGHAM - that's only in Alabama geographically. In every other sense, it's another planet.

khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #23
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
But, looking at the link in the search tool, there are actually only two online libraries available to Alabama. (All of the libraries listed used either Camiella Net or DMZ). And Cameilla net has only 3(!!) ePub books and 60 PDF books, while DMZ doesn't have any ePubs and only 41 PDF books.

I still think you come out way ahead! NYPL currently has 848 ePub books and 12,865 PDF books.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #24
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
As of my last check we don't have OD in Palm Beach County, which is a shame. They touted that they had an ebook library and I got a digital library card to find -nothing-

Oh well =)

Just checked again. Only library that offers OD is North Palm Beach, which isn't part of the county library system for some reason. And they only have 148 fiction books available. Most are public domain.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 10-15-2009 at 10:09 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #25
melissainsc
melissainsc began at the beginning.

Device: none
It's not a matter of supporting Overdrive, it's a matter of being able to afford the set-up.maintenance fee and purchasing titles beyond that. Love the service, though. As far as those libraries that offer audiobooks only, the e-book market has been slower to get a reader that really will attract the masses. We have had the Kindle for a few years now but it is proprietary and the TOU is restrictive. I think the Nook is going to inject the right amount of competition into the mix and attract a lot more people to purchase a device. Compatibility will follow. I'm ready to jump on the e-book shelf at my library to get a collection of e-books going for all of our patrons who will be unwrapping a Nook this Christmas.
melissainsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #26
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Brevard County, Florida doesn't seem to have digital books
although Orange County, next door, does....
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #27
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
I live in Jefferson County, Missouri which is about 20 miles south of St Louis.

Local library does not have overdrive books. I went to the St Louis County library and for $50 a year I am able to purchase a card which gives access to the overdrive ebooks.

I borrow the business type of books and read them during lunch time. Once the year is over I will need to evaluate the cost to books read.

Or take a coworker out to lunch in order to bribe them for their library card number!
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #28
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Texas has 18 in overdrive, however, most of those are the same area. San Antonio has several libraries listed, but it's all the same website. Harris County has a lot as does the Houston County Digital catalog. So, there aren't really that many spots. And since San Antonio is a 4 hour drive from me, and I would have to go there and pay $100 for a year card, I think I will pass.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 AM   #29
dweller
dweller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle DXi, Apple iPad 64GB 3G
All of Australia... but then again, according to Sony I shouldn't even be owning a PRS-600 or using the Sony ebookstore
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 PM   #30
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Hodad,

Brevard and Orange county are two completely different animals
Orange county kind of has that hip metro area wannabe vibe. Brevard is pretty much content to be the better place, but doesnt really challenge O-Town and orange county much in that sense.

It's like West Palm and Ft Lauderdale. Or Ft Lauderdale and Miami

For the record, I love Rockledge Never been up to your town. I only passed thru Cocoa and I haven't seen the space ship since I was ten...But RL is super pretty in that old florida kinda way

Last edited by jaxx6166; 11-04-2009 at 08:50 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote