Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #16
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I would also recommend an Onyx or a Likebook device... either the Likebook Mars that has been suggested already or the Onyx Boox Nova. Either would meet most - and maybe even all - of your criteria. WiFi and Bluetooth can always be turned off and left off if you want no "phoning home". Turning them off also increases battery life! These are 7.8 inch display devices, so they'd cost a bit more than a 6 inch display device, but they will give you a better pdf experience. A 10 inch device is still better for pdf, but is more expensive. in my experience, 7.8 inches is a very good compromise - big enough to handle text pdfs well, but small enough to be comfortable for longer periods of reading.

You can add books to either device through a USB cable from a computer if you wish. You can use the device's own reading app or install one you like better. Android gives you some added versatility.

You'll hear different kinds of advice from different people, but from what you say, this seems to be the best fit for you, as far as I can see!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:52 AM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I would also recommend an Onyx or a Likebook device... either the Likebook Mars that has been suggested already or the Onyx Boox Nova.
Likebook Mars differs from Likebook Ares in that the Ares is a Note device that is equipped with a Wacom layer and has a flat front.

Boox Nova devices are more expensive, have a bit more powerful hardware (stronger CPU, 1 GB more RAM) and slightly better grade software (which I don't need) but are far inferior in the file system area - they also have no SD option.

Likebook has Android 8.1, Boox Nova 2 has 9, Boox Nova 3 has 10.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 05:44 AM   #18
hurikanc
hurikanc began at the beginning.

Device: none
(apologies if this is a duplicate, I'm getting strange error messages when posting, but I don't see my posts being published)

Hi everyone!

Thank you all,
I watched a bunch of reviews now and searched for mods/tips/tricks for devices you recommend... and as a result I do feel that I really might want a device that handle PDFs better, is more powerful...

I'll have to decide if I want to go Android (Onyx, Likebook,...) or something "dumber" like Kobo Forma.

- Androids would probably be hard to tame if even doable (in terms of calling home - that's based on what I had to do with my smartphone - and to me privacy is high on priority list)
- Kobo's Forma (or similar) devices are not really cheaper ~270€ but apparently struggle with PDFs.
Does anyone have experience with PDFs on Kobos?

It will be a hard decision for sure...
hurikanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:22 AM   #19
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
EDIT. NOOK Refurb / new on ebay. I'm not in the USA and can get them.
They're way too expensive for what they're worth
You can get here new Likebook devices for these prices including transport and VAT.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:27 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurikanc View Post
(apologies if this is a duplicate, I'm getting strange error messages when posting, but I don't see my posts being published)
New members’ posts can be subject to approval. A mod will get to them as soon as possible.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
- Androids would probably be hard to tame if even doable (in terms of calling home - that's based on what I had to do with my smartphone - and to me privacy is high on priority list)
No device makes calls when WiFi is turned off.
You can also use Boox, Likebook devices without an account (limited) - Kobo devices not at all.
The price of the Kobo Forma is due to the special Mobius-based screen (flexible)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #22
hurikanc
hurikanc began at the beginning.

Device: none
ottischwenk how long does the battery last on your Likebook, when reading... let's say PDF's with 50% lit display, google services off (or specify under which conditions you use it..)?
hurikanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #23
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
ottischwenk how long does the battery last on your Likebook, when reading... let's say PDF's with 50% lit display, google services off (or specify under which conditions you use it..)?
I didnt test it, but some days - certainly longer than your desired 8 hours.
It is (noticeably) longer with the Likebook Alita.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
No device makes calls when WiFi is turned off.
Kindle with cellular connectivity.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kindle with cellular connectivity.
There is some way to turn wifi and cellular off separately? I am only aware of airplane mode on/off for controlling the radios on kindles.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:44 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
There is some way to turn wifi and cellular off separately? I am only aware of airplane mode on/off for controlling the radios on kindles.
I know one person who got rather upset when he found out that his WAN enabled Paperwhite 4 was happily calling home despite him not configuring WiFi. I still have trouble understanding why he thought buying a WAN enabled Paperwhite 4 for a $70 Cdn. premium was a good idea when he tends to the aluminum foil level of wanting privacy.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
I know one person who got rather upset when he found out that his WAN enabled Paperwhite 4 was happily calling home despite him not configuring WiFi. I still have trouble understanding why he thought buying a WAN enabled Paperwhite 4 for a $70 Cdn. premium was a good idea when he tends to the aluminum foil level of wanting privacy.
Whether a kindle will connect to an unlocked wifi access point on its own volition is still an open question so he might have had the same problem with a wifi only model. If he had put it in airplane mode there would have been no phoning home or amazon would have been risking the wrath of aviation authorities back when cellular use in flight was banned.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:01 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Whether a kindle will connect to an unlocked wifi access point on its own volition is still an open question so he might have had the same problem with a wifi only model. If he had put it in airplane mode there would have been no phoning home or amazon would have been risking the wrath of aviation authorities back when cellular use in flight was banned.
I haven't seen or heard of a Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook, Tolino, whatever connecting to an unlocked WiFi access point without manually selecting the SSID.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #29
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I haven't seen or heard of a Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook, Tolino, whatever connecting to an unlocked WiFi access point without manually selecting the SSID.
I am only aware of unverified reports of mysterious firmware updates. From my POV, insufficient evidence one way or other, so can't dismiss out of hand.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I am only aware of unverified reports of mysterious firmware updates. From my POV, insufficient evidence one way or other, so can't dismiss out of hand.
I have never heard of that with Kobo devices. People are surprised, but, they all realise they had WiFi on. And there have been plenty of people who ask for help and discover that there have been many updates that they haven't received.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
note taking, offline, private, reading, simple