Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #16
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
His stories will be read for many generations... I guess that is as close to immortality as we can get.

Rest in peace Arthur C. Clarke.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #17
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Let us not forget his contributions to science in general. Satellite communications, anyone? Literature not only reflects, but informs, society, and this is particularly true in SF and was typified by Clarke.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #18
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
What can one say that has not already been said? A great man and "Thinker".......Other than Heinlein no other SF author had as much influence on my Reading habits as a youth, and I think I have re read every one of his works several times.

Last edited by wmrawls; 03-19-2008 at 12:53 PM.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #19
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
Clarke

My first was "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" by Jules Verne. Nearly everything in the book has now been invented including the nuclear submarine and the electric underwater rifle. On the other hand dragging a balloon to the moon with geese was a bit far fetched.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I loved his books but after I would read a couple I found that I had to stop and read something else. There's something unusual about his writing that I could never put my finger on. Once I had recovered, I was always anxious to jump back in. I'd love to read some now but unfortunately Sony has only 6 or 7 of his titles available.
Personally, I'd love to see some of his old classics, especially Childhood's End, appear as e-books. There may be rights tied up in that one, however... I know NBC or Universal optioned it once... though it only ended up as V. Imagine my disappointment, turning one of the great SF works of all time into invading lizards.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #21
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Hey, it just so turns out that "NASA has detected the brightest cosmic explosion ever recorded -- a massive burst of energy 7.5 billion light years away that could be seen with the naked eye from Earth" on the same day that Arthur C. Clarke passed away.

That seems a pretty fitting tribute. Here's the news article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080321...qyaZ5hsGlxieAA
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Hey, it just so turns out that "NASA has detected the brightest cosmic explosion ever recorded -- a massive burst of energy 7.5 billion light years away that could be seen with the naked eye from Earth" on the same day that Arthur C. Clarke passed away.

That seems a pretty fitting tribute. Here's the news article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080321...qyaZ5hsGlxieAA
Interesting: As I seem to remember, one of Clarke's short stories was about a future planetary survey team that discovered the remains of a dead civilization, which apparently thrived until its star went nova. After some date-checking, they realized that the light from the star's explosion would have reached Earth just in time to have guided a certain three wise men to Jerusalem...
Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Indeed yes. "The Star" was its title.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #24
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
He only married once, to Marilyn Mayfield in 1953. According to his entry on Who's Who, the marriage was dissolved in 1964, and Sir Arthur never had children.
Morally, shouldn't his books now be considered public domain?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #25
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Morally, shouldn't his books now be considered public domain?
Hey, let the dust settle over his bones a bit, why dontcha? Ghoul.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #26
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Hey, let the dust settle over his bones a bit, why dontcha? Ghoul.
That's harsh Steve, but I'll assume that you left the smiley after Ghoul off by accident

Still, it's worth some thought that AC's works won't be freely available (in the USA) until 2076. Cui bono ?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Don't you mean 2078?

P.S. The soonest it will be out of copyright anywhere is 2058 (in the death+50 countries).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #28
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

No, I didn't leave it off by accident. When I called you a Ghoul, I was being exceedingly generous.

A great man is dead, and the first thing you want to do is rip the bedcurtains down. I guess it's a shame you weren't there when he died... you lost the chance to go through his pockets and look for loose change. But since now you may get a chance to rifle his estate, it's all good.

Want a smiley face? Here ya go.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #29
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Don't you mean 2078?

P.S. The soonest it will be out of copyright anywhere is 2058 (in the death+50 countries).
Thanks for the correction!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #30
JeffElkins
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
No, I didn't leave it off by accident. When I called you a Ghoul, I was being exceedingly generous.

A great man is dead, and the first thing you want to do is rip the bedcurtains down. I guess it's a shame you weren't there when he died... you lost the chance to go through his pockets and look for loose change. But since now you may get a chance to rifle his estate, it's all good.

Want a smiley face? Here ya go.
Your hostility doesn't invalidate my question. I do appreciate your generosity though. Thanks!