Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #16
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast
soundsfromsound began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is no setting needed. Embedded fonts in the input document are always embedded in the output document, unless you have asked calibre to subset embedded fonts, in which case unused fonts are removed.
I appreciate you trying to help me, but I'm afraid it's simply not working.

I used the demo docx file, and downloaded it onto my Windows 7 PC here. In order to save time - and in case I needed to make a screencast, if needed, to show my issue - I fired up a virtual Linux machine here on this Win7 PC. I transferred the demo docx file that you linked to and opened it in calibre on my Debian virtual machine. From there, I just converted it to epub and left all default options as they were, I didn't modify anything. Simple docx to epub via calibre on Debian.

I then opened the epub in calibre and made a screencast of what it looks like. Please tell me if this looks correct. I think the fonts and dropcaps don't quite match what the docx file contains, although much of the formatting looks ok.

Could it be that LibreOffice is not 'truly' embedding the fonts correctly, maybe? Though that wouldn't come into play with the demo docx file (that has me stumped), but I'm just trying to brainstorm what I could be missing.

Sorry. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

calibre Video:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...nt%20video.mp4

LibreOffice / MS Office "correct" appearance:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cx%20Video.mp4

Last edited by soundsfromsound; 10-04-2013 at 02:16 AM.
soundsfromsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no need to try to eyeball text to find if a font has been embedded, simplyuse the tweak book feature in calibre to explode the epub file and see if the font files are present.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #18
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast

Ok, thank you for that tip. I tried unzipping the epub before and no fonts were found where I would expect them to be.

What did you make of the videos I posted? I followed your instructions but it's not looking correct.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no idea how you are getting the results you are getting, since you say you are doing it in Debian make sure you are using the official calibre binary not the one provided by Debian, which will be both out of date and deliberately broken.

Attached is an epub resulting from conversion of the demo docx file by the current calibre release and all default options.
Attached Files
File Type: epub demo.epub (942.0 KB, 231 views)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
soundsfromsound
Enthusiast

Yup, I used the terminal and downloaded the binary direct from the calibre website.
Thanks for sharing the epub demo, I'll check it out.
*edit*
Wow, that epub looks perfect. Yea, mine just won't cooperate. I'm stumped.

Last edited by soundsfromsound; 10-04-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Advert

Tags
embedding, epub, fonts