Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #16
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
so the machine learning is looking at our to-read-piles instead of (or in addition to?) our reading history. At first glance, that seems reasonable, but I tend to be more ambitious when planning what future me should read than when deciding what current me is going to read So I have a lot more non-fiction books and heavy-ish books in my to-read-pile than in my reading history.
I see. Yes, that way of finding recommendations is not going to work that well for me either. I have books on my to-read list that go way, way back and don't really reflect my reading preferences now. And I'm sloppy. Some of my to-reads are on GR/SG, and some just go right onto my Amazon wishlist.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:03 AM   #17
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you do this again with my books added please? It should be possible to tell the system to ignore specific recommendations so can you ignore any that are not English? Thanks.
I did all of them with you included. Or do you mean that you added more books yesterday, so that the results should be different now?

The way it works is that I get three suggestions, and I can refresh the page to get others. There's no feature for telling the algorithm to ignore specific books.

@UncleRobin: Sure, I can do that

Last edited by hildea; 11-09-2022 at 02:14 AM.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2022, 02:35 AM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

It's possibly the BIGGEST difference between TSG and GR - although TSG has only TWO tech staff (out of 3 in total), one or or other of them will answer every query like this
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 04:43 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I did all of them with you included. Or do you mean that you added more books yesterday, so that the results should be different now?

The way it works is that I get three suggestions, and I can refresh the page to get others. There's no feature for telling the algorithm to ignore specific books.

With regular recommendations, you can remove books from being shown. So I thought maybe it's the same with the Plus buddy read recommendations.

Thanks for doing the recommendations. Some odd results (IMHO). I am surprised that there are no mystery books as I do have a lot of mystery type books in my list as well as SF and fantasy.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-09-2022 at 04:47 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:43 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
so the machine learning is looking at our to-read-piles instead of (or in addition to?) our reading history. At first glance, that seems reasonable, but I tend to be more ambitious when planning what future me should read than when deciding what current me is going to read So I have a lot more non-fiction books and heavy-ish books in my to-read-pile than in my reading history.

<SNIP>

I guess I should suggest that they use reading history instead for the buddy read suggestions. Unless I'm atypical in being overly ambitious on behalf of future me...
Disclosure: I’m StoryGraph curious, but every time I think of porting my data from GR and getting up to speed I feel tired.

That said, using wishlists for anything at all predictive can’t go well. One of my pet peeves at GR and it’s down to the users, not the site, are people’s overwhelming WTR lists. I have friends with WTR lists in the several thousands, even in the five figures, which is ridiculous. I know the GR mantra is that people use the site to their own ends and generally I’m on board, but what possible use is a wishlist of such gargantuan length? And annoying to me to the extent that when I try to compare my own books to someone else’s wishlist books are included. Clearly it should only be books that have actually been read and rated.

StoryGraph really needs to rethink this.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #21
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Disclosure: I’m StoryGraph curious, but every time I think of porting my data from GR and getting up to speed I feel tired.

/SNIP/

StoryGraph really needs to rethink this.
Issy - it is very little to get up to speed with, honestly. Just come in and wander around some of our pages and see if it strikes you.

I am only getting used to it in terms of remember where to go to see a view that I was used to using on GR and small stuff like that. I never used the GR social aspects and I am more likely to talk to a librarian or indie bookseller about book recs than I am folks on a website. But I love the clean, ad-free interface and the focus just on books.

I had a few false starts before I went all-in, but I am quite pleased now.

I agree, however, with your point about where the "recommended reads" comes from. I would definitely prefer it review the categories in my read, which is in the thousands, as opposed to the 10-15 on my TBR list.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #22
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do we know if SG considers genre tags when making recommendations?

Last edited by Desertway; 11-09-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:41 PM   #23
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
Do we know if SG considers genre tags when making recommendations?
I don't know if there is a difference between reading recommendations for buddy reads versus individual recommendations.

In the case of individual recs, the answer is definitely "yes" - the reading preferences survey asks for genres you like and dislike, along with many other perferences and dislikes. The individual recs are generated from the responses to that survey, not from the TBR - as can be seen in that it will generate recs with a zero-length TBR and the recs will change if the survey responses are changed, with no change to the TBR.

The caveat is that the above applies to one's own recommendations, I don't know how the buddy read recommendation algorithm works

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-09-2022 at 08:02 PM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:57 PM   #24
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I don't know if there is a difference between reading recommendations for buddy reads versus individual recommendations.

In the case of individual recs, the answer is definitely "yes" - the reading preferences survey asks for genres you like and dislike, along with many other perferences and dislikes. The individual recs are generated from the responses to that survey, not from the TBR - as can be seen in that it will generate recs with a zero-length TBR and the recs will change if the survey responses are changed, with no change to the TBR.

The caveat is that the above applies to one's one recommendations, I don't know how the buddy read recommendation algorithm works
Thanks very much for that explanation. I do find the individual recommendations are pretty spot on. As for the buddy read recommendations, I was thinking about the genre tags that TSG applies, because they aren't always the tags that I would apply. For instance, many books in my TSG lists are tagged as "fantasy", though that isn't how I would use that tag. This might result in group recommendations that don't really work. Not that I object to the way the tag is being applied, there are no hard and fast rules here.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:05 AM   #25
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I do find the individual recommendations are pretty spot on.
I agree, and since the individual recommendations are so good, it surprised me that the buddy read recommendations seem so unimaginative. I also find that if I refresh the buddy read recommendations a few times, I get a lot of repeating suggestions.
Old 11-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #26
hildea
Wizard

Some info from StoryGraph:
Quote:
​Yes for Buddy Read suggestions, we look at the books on the group's to-read piles and suggest the books we think they will like the best. We thought there'd be a higher chance that people would be excited to pick things up they've already earmarked to read - but thank you for the feedback, we will certainly keep this in mind!

Individual recommendations are driven by a range of things, but the primary force is the reading preferences survey. :-)
Old 11-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Some info from StoryGraph:
That makes sense why the recommendations don't make sense. I would rather they used the book in my list of books I've already read and gave a 3+ star rating to.
Old 11-13-2022, 04:05 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have my own TBR list, but I don't want such on SG or GR.

So that means that for me, a buddy read recommendation on SG is out. We'd have to figure another way to do it.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-13-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:00 AM   #29
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I have my own TBR list, but I don't want such on SG or GR.

So that means that for me, a buddy read recommendation on SG is out. We'd have to figure another way to do it.
The most effective buddy reads are literally just inviting users with similar books to you. I don't view buddy reads as a book club. Its more a "I am going to read this book, would anyone like to read it with me?"
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 03:10 PM   #30
hildea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
The most effective buddy reads are literally just inviting users with similar books to you. I don't view buddy reads as a book club. Its more a "I am going to read this book, would anyone like to read it with me?"
Yes, that seems much more likely to be successful.

Quote:
Heh, I guess when people have very different tastes, the old fashioned way of starting a thread and trying to find something in common works better. Or seeking out a book club with people with similar tastes.