Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

The Princess Bride as a book sucked, IMHO, but they took everything that was good in the book and used it in the movie and then some. Made a fabulous movie.
I think The Princess Bride was a good book, but a much better movie.

Now, Psycho, that was a bad book that Hitchcock transformed into a fantastic movie.

(Could someone please fix the title of this thread? It's making me crazy to keep seeing "verses" for "versus.")
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Which version? The 5 hour 3 part tv adaption was quite well done - the single movie version not so much by comparison.
When I talk about the movie version of Dune, I of course mean the David Lynch film.

I appreciate that SyFy tried with the Dune miniseries. At least it wasn't put out by The Asylum (the studio responsible for Sharknado and so much other SyFy dreck). But the mini doesn't hold a candle to the film.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I think The Princess Bride was a good book, but a much better movie.

Now, Psycho, that was a bad book that Hitchcock transformed into a fantastic movie.

(Could someone please fix the title of this thread? It's making me crazy to keep seeing "verses" for "versus.")
I remember liking Robert Bloch's Psycho, though I read it years ago.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Which version? The 5 hour 3 part tv adaption was quite well done - the single movie version not so much by comparison.
I was going to ask the same Q,
I had the Movie on Laser disc and it did only fair to the book? (I read the serial version in Analog).
I got the DVD of the mini-series and I agree, a bit better.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:10 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hmmm... personally, I liked the book. Not Robert Bloch's greatest work but worth reading. Asides any author who coined the phrases: "He has the heart of a small boy—he keeps it on his desk in a jar of formaldehyde." and “So I had this problem -- work or starve. So I thought I'd combine the two and decided to become a writer.” gets my vote.

Quote:
Second the motion.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-05-2018 at 03:14 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I remember liking Robert Bloch's Psycho, though I read it years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... personally, I liked the book. Not Robert Bloch's greatest work but worth reading. Asides any author who coined the phrases: "He has the heart of a small boy—he keeps it on his desk in a jar of formaldehyde." and “So I had this problem -- work or starve. So I thought I'd combine the two and decided to become a writer.” gets my vote.
I reread Psycho a couple of years ago, and it seemed really creepy--not fun-creepy, but disgusting-creepy; Norman Bates is awful and unsympathetic. Whereas the film is a classic of the genre, and Tony Perkins's Norman is a complex and sympathetic character. Everything in the film is pitch-perfect.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I was going to ask the same Q,
I had the Movie on Laser disc and it did only fair to the book? (I read the serial version in Analog).
I got the DVD of the mini-series and I agree, a bit better.
I think the only way you could say the miniseries version of Dune is better than the film is if you are trying to compare their fidelity to the book. And even there, the movie remembered the difference between Muad'Dib and Usul.

Otherwise, there is no way the miniseries bests the film. Casting, production design, acting, directing? Come on, the movie version of Dune does it all better. Plus, David Lynch realized that if you're going to make a movie about a desert world, you probably ought to film in the desert.

I don't hate the miniseries. But better than the film? I don't think so.

I do hold out hope for Denis Villeneuve's take on Dune.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I think the only way you could say the miniseries version of Dune is better than the film is if you are trying to compare their fidelity to the book. And even there, the movie remembered the difference between Muad'Dib and Usul.
I meant how it portrays the book itself. The movie had to compress quite a bit more than the mini series. Usually the higher budget gives a little better result - the mini series wasn't meant for the big screen.

Now there is some Netflix and Amazon original movies that would do well on the big screen, but budget again decides - Amazon and Netflix can afford more, they can even afford to get red numbers occasionally.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I meant how it portrays the book itself. The movie had to compress quite a bit more than the mini series. Usually the higher budget gives a little better result - the mini series wasn't meant for the big screen.

Now there is some Netflix and Amazon original movies that would do well on the big screen, but budget again decides - Amazon and Netflix can afford more, they can even afford to get red numbers occasionally.
I do wish Netflix or Amazon would pick up Dune, as I think the book would translate better as a series ala Game of Thrones. But hey, they're proceeding with the Dune remake and I wish Denis all the best. (Though he got off to a rocky start by saying it would be 'like Star Wars for adults.' I agree with him, but don't upset the nerds, man!).
Old 07-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I do hold out hope for Denis Villeneuve's take on Dune.
I'm hoping for Jodorowsky's version of Dune to be made. Just flipping through the already existing storyboards would make a decent movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodorowsky%27s_Dune

I usually like David Lynch's work, but I didn't like his Dune.

I'm sure Villeneuve could make a great Dune.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #26
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Movies vs Books discussion always reminds me of the movie "Lost Horizon" (the 1937 version not the 1973 one). When asked about it, the book's author James Hilton, said the movie was better. And it was, it made a lot more sense plot-wise in many ways compared to the book.

The only other movie I've seen that springs to mind is The African Queen - I didn't enjoy the book at all but thought the movie was excellent (but not terribly true to the book).

I was impressed by the whizzbangery in the Harry Potter movies, but sad that they left important points out (IMO). But, big books, limited time movies. And a lot of people did enjoy them.

Now, with Tolkien, I loved the Hobbit book but was frankly bored by repetition the LofR and haven't seen any of the LotR movies for that reason (although I'm a big fan of Otago where they were filmed).
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #27
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
How about some mystery opinions?

How do the movie versions of Raymond Chandler's novel Farewell, My Lovely stack up? (The 1945 version Murder, My Sweet and/or the 1975 version Farewell, My Lovely)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm hoping for Jodorowsky's version of Dune to be made. Just flipping through the already existing storyboards would make a decent movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodorowsky%27s_Dune

I usually like David Lynch's work, but I didn't like his Dune.

I'm sure Villeneuve could make a great Dune.
Jodorowski's Dune is impossible, but it made for a great documentary (though I got the feeling he was making half his stories up) and gave us The Incal.

Even unmade, his Dune changed Hollywood.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #29
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Jodorowski's Dune is impossible, but it made for a great documentary (though I got the feeling he was making half his stories up) and gave us The Incal.

Even unmade, his Dune changed Hollywood.
I was a big fan of Lynch's Dune. Didn't follow the book too closely after Arrakis but I loved the costumes and set design.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #30
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
A movie that was based on a book that was much much much better than the book is "What Dreams May Come?" I was actually disappointed when I finished the book after seeing the movie.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote