Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-28-2024, 04:13 PM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Windows users: Is "the newer Kindle for PC app available in the app store for Windows 11" still a thing? Is it still helpful to reference this in the original post or is it sufficient to say the latest Kindle for PC app available directly from Amazon is the one you need?
Amazon and Microsoft have decided to discontinue the Amazon app store and its Kindle app in Windows 11. It is no longer available for download.

In my opinion there is no need to mention that app.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 04:18 PM   #17
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon and Microsoft have decided to discontinue the Amazon app store and its Kindle app in Windows 11. It is no longer available for download.

In my opinion there is no need to mention that app.
Great, thank you. I will update the original post.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2024, 08:25 AM   #18
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If it really is a book of images, then it cannot be converted to KFX. The eBook shows Enhanced Typesetting as Not Enabled.
Then wouldn't it download as kf8?

Nevermind, I see jhowell has replied that it can still be kfx.

Last edited by lkmiller; 05-29-2024 at 08:28 AM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 08:38 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Windows users: Is "the newer Kindle for PC app available in the app store for Windows 11" still a thing? Is it still helpful to reference this in the original post or is it sufficient to say the latest Kindle for PC app available directly from Amazon is the one you need?
I've never seen Kindle for PC in the Windows Store. I just had a look and it's still not there. If you want Kindle for PC, it will have to be downloaded form Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:06 AM   #20
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never seen Kindle for PC in the Windows Store. I just had a look and it's still not there. If you want Kindle for PC, it will have to be downloaded form Amazon.
The way it worked on Windows 11 is you would download the Amazon Appstore app from within the Microsoft Store app and then download the Kindle app for Windows 11 from Amazon's store app. That Kindle app was actually the Kindle for Android app running in the WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android) emulator.

The whole process was convoluted and buggy. Microsoft and Amazon gave up on that idea and the Amazon Appstore is no longer available in Windows 11 as of March 6 of this year.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2024, 07:59 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The way it worked on Windows 11 is you would download the Amazon Appstore app from within the Microsoft Store app and then download the Kindle app for Windows 11 from Amazon's store app. That Kindle app was actually the Kindle for Android app running in the WSA (Windows Subsystem for Android) emulator.

The whole process was convoluted and buggy. Microsoft and Amazon gave up on that idea and the Amazon Appstore is no longer available in Windows 11 as of March 6 of this year.
Too bad that's gone knowing that we get full size graphics with the Android Kindle app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 09:23 AM   #22
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There was a Windows Store Kindle app, but it was dropped years ago.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:47 AM   #23
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
(Sorry, just posting this so as to receive notifications about new posts in the new thread...)
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 07:06 AM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
(Sorry, just posting this so as to receive notifications about new posts in the new thread...)
FYI - the Thread tools menu has a Subscribe to thread option.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:56 PM   #25
somerandomreader
somerandomreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (eInk)
I've been attempting to get Calibre/DeDRM working with Kindle for PC 2.3.5 (2.3.70840) which I gather, based on the OP should work. But I'm only seeing limited success, of the 39 books I have in Kindle only two were successfully converted, according to the debug log for the other books DeDRM is failing to find a suitable key to decrypt the contents.

Since I upgraded from 1.17 to 2.3.5 I thought maybe the key had changed so I removed and re-installed the DeDRM plugin in an attempt to get it to update the default key but that made no difference.

Rolling back to Kindle for PC 1.17 allowed me to successfully convert all 39 books but I'm looking for a sustainable solution going forward as I gather 1.17 won't work for anything published after 2022.

Plan B will be to but an eInk Kindle but as I already own an eInk Kobo reader I'd prefer not to if I can avoid it.

Thanks
somerandomreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:03 PM   #26
somerandomreader

Hmm, maybe scratch that, I just realised that I'm using the old unmaintained version of DeDRM.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:50 PM   #27
somerandomreader

yeah, still no dice, updated to DeDRM 10.0.3, did the remove/readd plugin and remove key/remove plugin/readd plugin/readd key dance but still getting the same errors
Old 06-12-2024, 11:46 PM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandomreader View Post
yeah, still no dice, updated to DeDRM 10.0.3, did the remove/readd plugin and remove key/remove plugin/readd plugin/readd key dance but still getting the same errors
You need 10.0.9
https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...es/tag/v10.0.9

Note that you need to re-import your books as well. DRM is removed when importing, not when converting.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-12-2024 at 11:59 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 12:37 AM   #29
somerandomreader

Smile

Ah, didn't see that there was a beta version available.

Yeah, I thought it stripped the DRM on import but it threw me that the import seemed to be working fine, I only got an error when I attempted to convert. But I suppose the basic metadata ISN'T encrypted so it only throws the error when it tries to open *content* of the file.

The good news is, 10.0.9 appears to work.

Thank you for your assistance.

Last edited by somerandomreader; 06-13-2024 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 05:03 AM   #30
lkmiller
Laura

You'll only see the error with failure to remove DRM on import if you run calibre in debug mode. Calibre doesn't care if you put DRMed books in your catalog. It just can't convert or open them.