Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Try KompoZer, it's a WYSIWYG editor and a html editor (Open Source).
I myself am a fan of Bluefish, but I'm afraid it's Linux/MacOSX only.

Thanks! Kompozer is great! Much easier to use than Dreamweaver when all I need to do is to make corections to an html ebook.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #17
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
Can you guys ( & gals) recommend me a good html editor. Preferably lightweight and free/OS (since I only need to edit ebooks, not design websites). It doesn't have to be WYSIWYG, but I do need good find & replace capabilties.
How about Nvu?

Nvu is the Mozilla HTML editor component, broken out as a stand-alone product.

Cross-platform, free, and open source.

http://nvudev.com/index.php
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 AM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
How about Nvu?
KompoZer claims to be "Nvu's unofficial bug-fix release". According to KompoZer's web page, Linspire has stopped the development of Nvu.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:34 AM   #19
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
KompoZer claims to be "Nvu's unofficial bug-fix release". According to KompoZer's web page, Linspire has stopped the development of Nvu.
I'm not certain that's accurate.

There has been sniping back and forth between Daniel Glazman, principal author of Nvu, and the Kompozer team. Part of the issue is that Glazman has stopped development on Nvu, but I don't believe that was Linspire's doing.

The Mozilla roadmap is to break the Gecko rendering engine out as a stand-alone runtime called XULRunner, with things like Firefox, Thunderbird, and Nvu being simply instances of things XULRunner would render. There are already a few things out there going in that direction, like the Songbird cross-platform media player, currently in beta, and the ActiveState Komodo programmer's IDE, both of which are based on Mozilla code.

The last I knew, Glazman had shifted his efforts to development of an HTML editor that would be a pure XULRunner app.

That said, yes, Kompozer is also a good thing to look at. I've use both Kompozer and Nvu.
______
Dennis
Old 02-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #20
Puffball
Puffball doesn't litterPuffball doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
If you use MS Windows (2000 or XP; not sure sure about Vista), have a look at Trellian WebPage. It is a bit like NVu and SeaMonkey, and very easy to learn.
Puffball is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #21
DMcCunney
New York Editor

And for a few more choices, see http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HTMLEditorFamily

______
Dennis
Old 02-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #22
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Thanks for all the info. I've used Composer, but in the end gave it up.
Not because it's a bad program but because it was too much of a hassle to try and edit Mistborn, even after it came out of PDFtoHTML. I think I will wait till they release it as html. PDF is a no go for me.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #23
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Amaya is a very good (Wysiwyg) HTML editor. It is free and has been designed by W3C with the primary purpose of generating valid HTML.

There is no need to use the wysiwyg part -- you can use the code page only.

I find it a little sluggish when using for large ebooks so I actually use FrontPage for my HTML but I never allow FrontPage to write my code for me. I use its codepage only. I then open the resulting HTML document in Amaya and it will find and advise any errors in the code.

I always have Amaya on my PC because I find it invaluable for validating code.
Since using it I have been aware of how much horrendous HTML code is out there on the Web and in ebooks in general.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #24
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Just tried KompoZer and created a few files with data from different sources, and it seems quite good and fit for my purpose.

And my purpose is that I have a large bunch of html files in variable code quality and some rtf and doc files - actually it's *cough* fanfiction *cough* - I know we don't mention it
I need to able to read those on my CyBook - which can't handle html tables for instance, or rtf files, etc. And lots of my html files don't show up well in general on CyBook, because the code is not being interpreted correctly.

Now I've tried copying and pasting text into the WYSIWYG editor. Works fine for doc and rtf - not for html, though, but then I can just copy it into Word or Pages and from there into KompoZer, and then it's fine. It all seem to look the same in the end, in KompoZer that seem to prefer line breaks (br) to paragraph tags, but so far, the files I've tried it with, looks nice on the CyBook, with minimal fuss and work. At least I find it a lot less work overall than editing the code directly. As you (probably) know, there's a lot of web pages out there with crappy code *eurgh*
With copying and pasting, KompoZer cleans it up nicely in a way that fits my purpose; displaying it on CyBook in a reasonable way.

Actually I've been looking for a WYSIWYG editor for MAc for a while, and this one seems to be good - thanks! to whoever recommended this initially.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This question sure has evolved. I remember when this question was in search of just 1 decent HTML editor. Now the question has really evolved to "OF ALL the HTML editors which one is the best"

The really answer really stems from what you are trying to accomplish there are now tons of really good choices and you just need to decide what fit's your use the best
Here is a list

OpenOffice: Is a WSYWIG editor AND an HTML syntax editor build in. In addition it is a great office suite for FREE. It also does not add a lot of garbage MSWord puts into their HTML(CROSS PLATFORM)

Word: Much like open office but their HTML has lots of other garbage inserted that it is not very portable w/o other editors browser complaining about something in the file
(Windows/MAC)

Nvu: Good editor but I find this too buggy and sluggish for me. (CROSS PLATFORM)

VI(VIM/Elvis): I still use this editor more than any other editor. Once your fingers remember the VI commands there is nothing faster than this editor. (CROSS PLATFORM).
There are also some VI editors (elvis/vim) that allow you to toggle between HTML WSYSWIG and Syntax.

BIGGER BUT BETTER
There are also free development studios out there that do a great job of editing HTML code

NetBeans: This is a Web/Java development suite that has an excellent HTML editor and great Search & Replace functionality. You can even user regular expressions in their tool

Eclipse: (Same as above) but I find Netbeans much easer to use.

MS Express IDE(J++/C#/etc..): You can find their IDE editor "express" version for free on the net. Their editor have greatly evolved. If you are on an MS Windows platform this is probably one of the best editors out there.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Also Framemaker from Adobe. It can do a very professional job of html file creation.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #27
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I used to favor UltraEdit before it became too bloated. Then I switched to the free Notepad++. Unfortunately, Notepad++ does not have any auto-recovery functionality, and it cost me quite a lot nerves whenever Windows crashed on me (believe me, it can happen!). So a few months ago I discovered EmEditor which feels like UltraEdit, but without the bloated. Highly recommended!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #28
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
On Windows, I use Notepad++ (free) and on the Mac I use Smultron.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editor, emeditor, html editor, notepad, notepad plus, ultraedit