Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-07-2022, 05:57 PM   #16
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you're looking for a recommendation, look no further than Marshall Thornton's Never Rest. At first the ending bothered me; it's reminiscent of the ending to the movie The Sixth Sense in that it's unexpected. After thinking about it for a day or two I realized that it was the perfect ending.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am reading Stephen King's Night Shift.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2022, 04:46 AM   #18
Kieran Seymour
Addict
Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kieran Seymour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've got two books on the go - one novel, one anthology.

The novel's Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. Never read it before, although I did listen to a BBC radio drama adaptation a few years back.

And the anthology... is a beast. The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories, edited by Anne and Jeff VanderMeer. 110 pieces of weird fiction from 1907 up to 2011, ranging from short stories to novellas.

https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?380838

It's technically 1,126 pages in it's physical form. But in reality it's an oversized volume with double columns on each page, so on the Kobo eBook copy I've got it weighs in at 2,272 pages.

To be followed by The Apparition Phase by Will Maclean, and Rod Serling's The Season to Be Wary.
Kieran Seymour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am reading Stephen King's Night Shift.
For me, that book represents the strongest collection of his short stories. A classic short story collection.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:00 AM   #20
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have never enjoyed the Horror Genre. They just don't scare me (movies either). If I want that kind of scare, I will just have to watch the news.
Apache
I tend to agree with this assessment. I read Harrow County as part of my challenge to read 12 books this year recommended by my wife. She really enjoyed it and it felt like the right season.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
For me, that book represents the strongest collection of his short stories. A classic short story collection.
The Mangler is a really good story.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:51 AM   #22
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I rarely read Horror, but a BookTuber recommended a horror book. I read it purely because of its title. I gave it 5 stars. It is called Darkness on the Edge of Town, by Brian Keene.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:16 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm reading our two hardcover omnibus editions of Cullen Bunn's Harrow County comic.
Oh! I have that, but haven't read it yet. I'd highly recommend Bunn's The Sixth Gun horror/western mash-up.

I also read his The Empty Man, which I remember liking, but not loving.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:19 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with that author.
Dr., go to Amazon and search Cullen Bunn (here, I did it for you). Not everything he writes is horror, but much of it is.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Dr., go to Amazon and search Cullen Bunn (here, I did it for you). Not everything he writes is horror, but much of it is.

I'm not too much into comics, but I may have to give it a try. What reader/tablet do you use for this type of format?

Thank you for the link.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:56 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I'm not too much into comics, but I may have to give it a try. What reader/tablet do you use for this type of format?

Thank you for the link.
I started reading comics on a 10" Android tablet. But now I read them on either a Surface Pro or an old Samsung 12.2" Galaxy Note Pro SM-P900. The large screens on these devices display the pages at about the same size as a physical copy.

If you don't read comics, it may not be worth investing. The Sixth Gun is a great read, but it's pretty long. There was a pilot episode for a proposed NBC television series, but it was never shown
Old 10-10-2022, 03:07 PM   #27
walldecor
walldecor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
On someone's recommendation, I picked up House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It is supposed to actually be creepy, but I haven't started it yet and therefore can't comment, haha.
walldecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:50 PM   #28
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I plan on reading Shadowland by Peter Straub. I wanted to read this since I haven't read anything of his before and his passing. It is just a coincidence that it is close to halloween.
Great book. And I don't like horror.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:51 PM   #29
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I rarely read Horror, but a BookTuber recommended a horror book. I read it purely because of its title. I gave it 5 stars. It is called Darkness on the Edge of Town, by Brian Keene.
I found it well written, but very very bleak. And no real ending. I feel who could have done more with it. But I don't like horror.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:53 PM   #30
Pajamaman
Wizard

I may re-read A Thief of Always by Barker. I found it a good read, and not bleak at all. Very Haloween. I may read some Bradbury, or maybe I'll try the Dark Tower again.

I may also reread William Gay's Nocturne. Southern Gothic literary. An incredible book by an incredible writer.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 10-10-2022 at 08:03 PM.