Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2022, 01:16 AM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It costs more for less storage than a Libra 2.

I liked the looks of the Era. But I couldn't see choosing it over the Libra 2 if I were looking at both.
For me 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB don't mean much. I don't think I've ever put more than 2 GBs of books on any reader — so that's not really a consideration. I like the built-in speaker. When my eyes were tired I used to like following along to to the TTS voice on my Kindle 3. I also like the ability to download a book from about any ePub seller (or Overdrive) on the Era, and that it can handle DRM on its own. I used to be big on the flat surface screen, but that's no longer a huge game changer for me either way. I also like the slightly smaller size of the Era. Not sure about the key placement. And the Era has a bigger battery (probably partly why it's heavier) and a dual core CPU. (I still don't understand why the Libra 2 didn't get that — its cousin, the Tolino Vision 6, got a quad core CPU.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:19 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
RMSDK 11 has more features and does support ePub 3 better.Supposedly RMSDK 11 uses Readium. So I would hope that RMSDK 11 would be pretty good for ePub 3.
Now I've got to look up "Readium."
Advert
Old 06-03-2022, 06:12 AM   #18
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
You can put an additional standard sd card in the era.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:22 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
You can put an additional standard sd card in the era.
According to the German site, there is no microSD slot in the Era. That seems to be the pattern with PocketBook, the higher end readers don't have microSD slots, while the lower cost ones do. My Touch HD 3 doesn't have a microSD slot either (though the Basic Lux 3 does).
Old 06-03-2022, 04:04 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:

I liked the looks of the Era. But I couldn't see choosing it over the Libra 2 if I were looking at both.
I'd be tempted just to try out a PocketBook reader. Have never owned one, but flush front, TTS, and built-in speaker, could be fun. I don't NEED a new device, but the curious side of me is intrigued, as I don't have anything with the new Carta 1200 screen yet. However, if I did want the newer screen, the Kobo Sage would make more sense.

Last edited by graycyn; 06-03-2022 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2022, 07:34 PM   #21
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
FWIW, Barnes & Noble products are stuck in the land of RMSDK 9.
The last that I checked the latest "Glow 4" (2021) is RMSDK 9.3.1.449
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:18 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
FWIW, Barnes & Noble products are stuck in the land of RMSDK 9. The last that I checked the latest "Glow 4" (2021) is RMSDK 9.3.1.449
Just out of curiosity, how do you check this? Are Kobos stuck at 10?
Old 06-04-2022, 07:14 AM   #23
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
According to the German site, there is no microSD slot in the Era. That seems to be the pattern with PocketBook, the higher end readers don't have microSD slots, while the lower cost ones do. My Touch HD 3 doesn't have a microSD slot either (though the Basic Lux 3 does).
Damn, that's a big letdown if true.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:33 AM   #24
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
B&N uses /system.lib/libpdfhost.so which is a Java wrapper around the RMSDK and exposes com.bravo.util.AdobeNativeInterface Java class.
You can just call AdobeNativeInterface.getRmsdkVersion()
You can also just look through that file for version strings.

I just have a Kobo Aura 2 which uses /usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0 and exports the C++ class pxf::PXFRenderer
I don't see explictly a version string, but there are file paths in there like "/export/jenkins/workspace/Devices-Adobe10-SDK-gcc49/Adobe-Reader-Mobile-SDK/t3/source/thirdparty/jp2k/source/common/src/jp2klib.cpp".
I believe that it is version 10.0.4 although that string is floating and not part of a banner.
I was trying to dummy up a call to the library.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:22 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Kobo use the RMSDK v10. My understanding is that moving beyond 10 has issues due to the need to sign the RMSDK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
For me 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB don't mean much. I don't think I've ever put more than 2 GBs of books on any reader — so that's not really a consideration. I like the built-in speaker. When my eyes were tired I used to like following along to to the TTS voice on my Kindle 3. I also like the ability to download a book from about any ePub seller (or Overdrive) on the Era, and that it can handle DRM on its own. I used to be big on the flat surface screen, but that's no longer a huge game changer for me either way. I also like the slightly smaller size of the Era. Not sure about the key placement. And the Era has a bigger battery (probably partly why it's heavier) and a dual core CPU. (I still don't understand why the Libra 2 didn't get that — its cousin, the Tolino Vision 6, got a quad core CPU.)
Yeah, I wrote that post quickly, as I'm on vacation.

I'd prefer the Kobo software to what I have seen of Pocketbook, I never buy books directly from my reader (I don't even turn on the WiFi) and it costs more for less storage. So as a whole the Pocketbook Era just doesn't have an upside to me.

I do like the look of it, though I couldn't figure out where the page turn buttons are.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:05 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I'd prefer the Kobo software to what I have seen of Pocketbook, I never buy books directly from my reader (I don't even turn on the WiFi) and it costs more for less storage. So as a whole the Pocketbook Era just doesn't have an upside to me.
Ditto.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:19 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo use the RMSDK v10. My understanding is that moving beyond 10 has issues due to the need to sign the RMSDK.
What needs to be done to use RMSDK 11.x? Whatever it is, Pocketbook are doing it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It probably relates to changes made by Kobo in their original implementation of RMSDK and the complexities of migrating them to a new code base.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:48 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:

I do like the look of it, though I couldn't figure out where the page turn buttons are.
I understand. The Kobo software is more sophisticated. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just saying why (personally) I like the PocketBook software better, mostly because of the way it handles ePub DRM on its own. I do download ePubs to my PocketBook (via its browser), but I do it mostly because I can and I like to try it out. But even when I don't download directly to the device, Send-to-PocketBook or just dropping the .ascm file into the PocketBook via the USB cable seems simpler to me. The PocketBooks are also less finicky about side-loaded fonts. And battery life is considerably better than on my Kobos. Probably because the default behavior for the PocketBook is to turn itself off completely instead of going into sleep mode.

The buttons on the Eras are right on the edge. I'm not sure how that's going to work out. It looks like it has four buttons (like their other touch screen readers). In the picture I've attached you can barely make out the buttons as the darker strip along the right edge. (Very thin buttons.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	era.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	194138