Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2022, 01:02 AM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Note that it is opt-in, because while a Sage takes < 10ms to resume, an older device will take ~200ms!

Spoiler alert: this is (part) of why page turns feel atrociously slow in nickel.

(In my book, that makes it a terrible trade on older devices: you tank UI latency for meager power efficiency gains (because nxp SoCs are fairly power efficient to begin with). On sunxi, not so much ;p).
Seeing the screenshots in the link above explain why after enabling autostandby as suggested in response to my "constant crash" thread My battery life indicator now barely seems to move after a few hours reading, as opposed to deflating at an appreciable fraction of c as it used to. THANK YOU
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:12 AM   #17
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Seeing the screenshots in the link above explain why after enabling autostandby as suggested in response to my "constant crash" thread My battery life indicator now barely seems to move after a few hours reading, as opposed to deflating at an appreciable fraction of c as it used to. THANK YOU
This is good news to me as well I’ll give KOReader another shot.

My remaining gripe is how long it takes to open large ebooks and make changes to them. But at least with the settings I can open a small ebook set everything up set it as default and then move along.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2022, 01:23 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
My remaining gripe is how long it takes to open large ebooks and make changes to them.
This was one of the reasons I quit KOReader after trying it for a couple of days. I have many large omnibuses and I don't want to split them up. Much easier to make changes in the Calibre editor and read with the default reader after that.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:02 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Ahah, so maybe that's what's biting me. I'm on an Elipsa.
I went back to 4.28.x on the Elipsa because of bugs. But the Sage seems OK on 4.31.
I used Elipsa stylus and it immediately wanted WiFi so as to sync and download recognition SW.

Someone mentioned the Home Screen issue. I've noted that AFTER a USB connect that the Kobo ALWAYS returns to the Home Screen, even if no books added, so now I go to Home before connecting USB.
I always connect the gadget end first & disconnect last and disconnect-reconnect the USB Host end if needed for Calibre Series update as that's easy & not fiddly.

From new the Sage had to connect 4 times:
1) Initial power on. It didn't ask for sign in but downloaded on WiFi after connect.
2) Rebooted after download and needed the WiFi password again. This time it asked for a sign-in. I used the same working email I used for maybe 5 years for Kob. Other than my own test email it's never ever received email, not even spam (I have no spam blocker on Internet mail box supplier, just local Thunderbird).
3) It then updated to 4.31.x
4) I turned off WiFi and auto sync.
5) Had to turn it on & sync to get the Dictionaries.
6) Turned if off, but found even looking at Bluetooth setting page turns on WiFi.
7) Tried stylus off Elipsa, and it immediately wanted WiFi so as to sync and download recognition SW.

The recognition of text and screen response to fast handwriting seems faster than the Elipsa, but more tests needed. The Circle shapes shrink to a bold O size with this FW, the Elipsa circle input gives original drawn size.

So if you want Dictionaries & Handwriting, you need the WiFi for a while. Even a fake email address works. Possibly the Kobo Desktop program can be used, I don't know as I don't have that.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-11-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:09 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
This was one of the reasons I quit KOReader after trying it for a couple of days. I have many large omnibuses and I don't want to split them up. Much easier to make changes in the Calibre editor and read with the default reader after that.
I only use KOReader on Elipsa for PDFs. On the Boyue Mars I use KOReader only for epub as the stock PDF reader is fine with crop, contrast & brightness, but the stock epub reader is poor.
Advert
Old 04-15-2022, 06:55 AM   #21
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(In my book, that makes it a terrible trade on older devices: you tank UI latency for meager power efficiency gains.....
Can I take this to mean you do find Sage faster than Forma? Or expect it would be...

I admit I forgot that sage is heavier which is was probably the key reason I didn't get it.

Sadly Australian retailers have been hopeless at providing demo models so I can't even try one in store.

Maybe I will wait until Kobo provides a reader the same size as Forma and Sage that is fast but also light with a decent battery and power button.

IE I want a Forma that is faster with the better power button.

I don't care about reading Kobo-only audiobooks (?) or whatever it is Sage does with audio.

Come to think of it: perhaps a reader with a screen-size halfway between Forma and Elipsa would be great for PDFs.

Last edited by LivresInOz; 04-15-2022 at 07:01 AM.
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 07:01 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

The power button is fine on my Sage. Battery life seems OK, and with the 2A charger of my Lenovo tablet it charges very very fast.
I've not tried the 4.32.19501 April 2022 firmware yet.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:22 PM   #23
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The power button is fine on my Sage. Battery life seems OK, and with the 2A charger of my Lenovo tablet it charges very very fast.
This reminds me something I've been wondering about.

I got a phone recently that can take a super-fast charge, via a special charging unit (the block part), along with one of those new USB-C plugs.

Does anyone know:

1. Whether I could plug this charger into another appliance that takes a USB-C
a) without any damage
b) or even actually charging it faster?

2. Does the Sage specifically take a fast-charger?
a) If so, could I use any fast-charger?
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:27 PM   #24
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivresInOz View Post
This reminds me something I've been wondering about.

I got a phone recently that can take a super-fast charge, via a special charging unit (the block part), along with one of those new USB-C plugs.

Does anyone know:

1. Whether I could plug this charger into another appliance that takes a USB-C
a) without any damage
b) or even actually charging it faster?

2. Does the Sage specifically take a fast-charger?
a) If so, could I use any fast-charger?
Everything I've seen says the device being charged (i.e., the Sage) takes only what it's capable of from the charger. Higher rated chargers just CAN push more electrons down the cable. They don't unless the device negotiates for it.

So, yes, you should be able to use the fast charger with other devices without damage. It shouldn't make any difference to charging time unless the device was capable of higher charging rates than the original charger could provide. I don't know if the sage was designed for fast charging. But, theoretically, you could plug it into that fast charger and see.

Now, of course you've seen all my weasel-words in the above. IANAEE (I am not an electrical engineer (or anything similar)). So, I can't guarantee any of the above. But, that's what I keep reading. I guess, to be safe, you could chat with Kobo.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 02:04 AM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
Everything I've seen says the device being charged (i.e., the Sage) takes only what it's capable of from the charger. Higher rated chargers just CAN push more electrons down the cable. They don't unless the device negotiates for it.

So, yes, you should be able to use the fast charger with other devices without damage. It shouldn't make any difference to charging time unless the device was capable of higher charging rates than the original charger could provide. I don't know if the sage was designed for fast charging. But, theoretically, you could plug it into that fast charger and see.

Now, of course you've seen all my weasel-words in the above. IANAEE (I am not an electrical engineer (or anything similar)). So, I can't guarantee any of the above. But, that's what I keep reading. I guess, to be safe, you could chat with Kobo.
One friend of mine destroyed his new Onyx(?) by connecting it to a Huawei(?)cellphone quick charger. Evidently, the charger decided the Onyx could quick charge at 20V. The charger was not standards compliant.

The Sage will not charge faster by using a fast charger in my limited testing.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote