Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by akleiw View Post
I've downloaded a sample of "I do" and while it's a KF8 file I can't see any custom fonts in it. If you want to verify if everything is OK with your Kindle, here's a book that should give you an option to turn publisher font on and off - The Waste Land by T. S. Eliot (it's in the public domain).
It uses Times Roman and the other book uses Minion Pro and both fonts both are ugly! Yes I picked them apart to see what font I was stuck with. Minion isn't too bad but the words are spaced too far apart. I can fix this by converting them to mobi but other then editing them I am stuck with the font.

Okay Added the book. The option there's now but it doesn't work on other KF8s I have. I have quite a few but only two with ugly fonts I don't like and would like to turn them off.

It also doesn't work with my custom font. I am stuck with Caecilia if I turn off the font on the book I just downloaded. Yuk!

I just notice the book above is a mobi. I am guessing the new version of mobi. The books I am talking about are AZW3. I wonder if that makes a difference?

Last edited by Blossom; 09-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Okay Added the book. The option there's now but it doesn't work on other KF8s I have. I have quite a few but only two with ugly fonts I don't like and would like to turn them off.
This is why it's called "embedded" - the font is embedded in the book, and of course, it only affects that book, not others...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
This is why it's called "embedded" - the font is embedded in the book, and of course, it only affects that book, not others...
I know that. You misunderstood. I mean the Turn off option isn't there for my other KF8 books like it was for the one provided in this thread. Not all KF8 books I own have custom fonts but a few do. There is this one that just looks horrible. I like to turn off the font but I can't without making it a mobi in Calibre. The Turn off Publisher font option is missing.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah ok, sorry for the confusion.

BTW: On the K5 with the newest firmware, it seems like you can use custom fonts by creating a "fonts" folder in the root directory of the Kindle's USB storage, and putting .ttf files in there (and restarting the device). I've never actually done it, and I don't know if the K4 supports this, but you can just give it a try.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Ah ok, sorry for the confusion.

BTW: On the K5 with the newest firmware, it seems like you can use custom fonts by creating a "fonts" folder in the root directory of the Kindle's USB storage, and putting .ttf files in there (and restarting the device). I've never actually done it, and I don't know if the K4 supports this, but you can just give it a try.
Really! No Jailbreak or patch needed now? If that's true I would buy a KT finally. I love my modified font that a member here did and I can't see using anything else. It's perfect! This is why I don't like KF8 having embedded fonts I can't get rid of.

The K4 does support custom fonts I use a plugin to change the pref file to use a custom font that is put in a folder on the K4's usb drive. It works the same way on the K3.
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Really! No Jailbreak or patch needed now? If that's true I would buy a KT finally. I love my modified font that a member here did and I can't see using anything else. It's perfect! This is why I don't like KF8 having embedded fonts I can't get rid of.

The K4 does support custom fonts I use a plugin to change the pref file to use a custom font that is put in a folder on the K4's usb drive. It works the same way on the K3.
Yep, no jailbreak or patch needed. (Even if the jailbreak is nothing to be afraid of, and makes the device much more usable... but that's a different story).

Anyway, everything indicates that there will be a new Kindle Touch soon, so I suggest to just wait for that one.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yep, no jailbreak or patch needed. (Even if the jailbreak is nothing to be afraid of, and makes the device much more usable... but that's a different story).

Anyway, everything indicates that there will be a new Kindle Touch soon, so I suggest to just wait for that one.
Yeah I want a lighted one so I hope it has similar firmware. This is great news! I need to re correct a post from the other day because I was not aware custom fonts now work on a KT without hacking.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #23
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Yeah I want a lighted one so I hope it has similar firmware. This is great news! I need to re correct a post from the other day because I was not aware custom fonts now work on a KT without hacking.
This is of course just speculation, but I suppose the new devices will come with firmware 5.2.0.

Even the current firmware (5.1.2) already has software support for turning on/off the light, and for higher resolution displays. All of this is of course inactive on the current K5s, as the device's hardware doesn't support it - but the features are there, which means that Amazon must have tested the new devices with the current FW - which in turn means that they will probably come with an updated version of the FW that can work on both the current and the new models.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
This is of course just speculation, but I suppose the new devices will come with firmware 5.2.0.

Even the current firmware (5.1.2) already has software support for turning on/off the light, and for higher resolution displays. All of this is of course inactive on the current K5s, as the device's hardware doesn't support it - but the features are there, which means that Amazon must have tested the new devices with the current FW - which in turn means that they will probably come with an updated version of the FW that can work on both the current and the new models.
Awesome! Let's hope this is the case because I know the K4 uses similar firmware that was from the K3. It would make sense the new Kindle do the same off the other Touch model. I told hubby if he lets me get the new Kindle I wont ask for the new Kindle Fire coming out.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I don't have that option on my menu.

This is from my Archive Items. It hasn't touch Calibre.
It just isn't this book either.
I have another KF8 where I can't change the font.
Download a 'Game of Thrones' sample. These use an embedded font and should give you an option to turn it on|off. At least it is so on my KT.

I would say that at this point most KF8 books don't use embedded fonts, so there is no Publisher Font option.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-04-2012 at 08:25 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I think it's more that the publisher isn't doing something right. MY KF8 books show the embedded font okay but they must of forgot to include a line of code that allows you to turn it off These are Azw3 files.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Blossom: I'm intrigued. All the KF8 files I have seen with embedded fonts defaults to *NOT* using the embedded fonts, and show the 'Publisher's Fonts' toggle (unless they were built by Calibre before the fix, but that doesn't change the fact that they don't use the embedded fonts by default).

Keep in mind that I don't have a K4, so that's with a Touch...

Could you check if one of those 'embedded fonts forced on' files exhibit the same behavior in the sample? And if so, point me to the Amazon page for one of these books?

Thanks!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Blossom: I'm intrigued. All the KF8 files I have seen with embedded fonts defaults to *NOT* using the embedded fonts, and show the 'Publisher's Fonts' toggle (unless they were built by Calibre before the fix, but that doesn't change the fact that they don't use the embedded fonts by default).

Keep in mind that I don't have a K4, so that's with a Touch...

Could you check if one of those 'embedded fonts forced on' files exhibit the same behavior in the sample? And if so, point me to the Amazon page for one of these books?

Thanks!
I went through my KF8s and found one that does show the option!
So it looks like it's working if coded right. The two I am having trouble with I picked them apart again. It seems to be missing some of the fonts define in the style sheets so I am getting half embedded and half Caecilia. No wonder it looks odd. One thing I have learn since yesterday is the default custom font does not work with KF8 you are stuck with Caecilia. Oh well it's back to using Mobi because I need my custom font!

The samples don't seem to include any fonts. Maybe they fixed it, I had these since July but I don't see any updates in MYK page.

I am thinking the two KF8s weren't coded correctly so I assume all KF8s were like that but I found one that is coded right and it works as it should I can turn the font on/off. I'm going to pick it apart and see if I can find the difference.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #29
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Blossom: If you're willing (because I'm assuming these are copyrighted works), contact me via PM and I'll try to take a look at one of the 'broken' one .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font, kindle