Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #16
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Hi Roderick,

Great work, I however have a problem if I try to reproduce the steps. I copied the _usbnet and your g_ether.ko.
However, I get:
FATAL: Module arcotg_udc not found.
Then it continues creating keys etc, but ifconfig does not show any extra network adapter (only loopback).
(Note that it now does more then it did previously with the original g_ether.ko)

My DR also does a little strange, it does not connect to the PC (before installing usbnet), so maybe it is my problem...

I will try again later.

Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
That's really strange. Have you done a modprobe -l to see if it's there?
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #18
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs View Post
I've got it working on my DR1000

For anyone else interested, just use the instructions from Gregor Richards (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81699), but change his g_ether.ko to the one attached here.

I got it working simply by following the instructions from dima_tr and Gregor Richards. I used the config file located on the DR1000 (/proc/config.gz).

To set this up on the PC (linux): (from Inigo on the other thread)
$ sudo modprobe usbnet
$ sudo ifconfig usb0 192.168.200.1

Then to ssh...
$ ssh root@192.168.200.2

Best regards,

Roderick

Edit: btw, you don't need to set up a password on the DR. You can just skip through it when asked.
Edit2: It might be necessary to also modprobe cdc_subset when setting things up on the host side.
Congratulations!
It's a very good helper to hack the DR.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #19
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Today installation worked OK. I connected the DR to PC via USB, copied the usbnet stuff and 'ejected' the DR.
When starting UsbNet, all went OK and it reported its new IP-address.
On the PC (Win XP) I got a dialog that new hardware was found (RNDIS/Ethernet) and I just let it find the correct drivers. (I did not use the driver posted here in the other thread.)
Then I had to change the IP address in the Network Settings: Control Panel->Network Connections->USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget->Propeorties->Internet protocol TCP/IP.

I tried to login using putty, but unfortunately it asks for a password. It is described somewhere in the thread how to solve this, so I do this later.

Since my normal internet connection somehow got confused (and I am doing this on my work PC) I stopped my experiments for now.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #20
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Today installation worked OK. I connected the DR to PC via USB, copied the usbnet stuff and 'ejected' the DR.
When starting UsbNet, all went OK and it reported its new IP-address.
On the PC (Win XP) I got a dialog that new hardware was found (RNDIS/Ethernet) and I just let it find the correct drivers. (I did not use the driver posted here in the other thread.)
Then I had to change the IP address in the Network Settings: Control Panel->Network Connections->USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget->Propeorties->Internet protocol TCP/IP.

I tried to login using putty, but unfortunately it asks for a password. It is described somewhere in the thread how to solve this, so I do this later.

Since my normal internet connection somehow got confused (and I am doing this on my work PC) I stopped my experiments for now.
Great to see it working. You can set a password on the DR using "passwd".
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 03:55 PM   #21
Mackx
Guru

Now I installed it at home (Windows 7):
- Install UsbNet as described
- Windows finds new hardware (RNDIs/Ethernet) but does not find driver
- Follow this instruction: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_RNDIS (I also installed Windows Mobile Device Center, but I am not sure if that is needed?)
- Go to Network Center->Adapter settings->Properties->Internet protocol version 4 set IP-address to 192.168.200.1 and mask to 255.255.255.0

I downloaded putty and could connect to the DR (although I first had to set a password for root)

Now I have to figure out what to do with it

Thanks again Roderick for the final steps on the DR1000
Old 04-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #22
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Now I have to figure out what to do with it
I've been trying to connect the DR1000 to the Internet, but setting this up on my Linux machine is proving to be very difficult for me.

If I do succeed, I might try to port a simple browser to the DR1000 (if this isn't too hard). This would probably be somewhere in the not so near future though.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #23
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
If I do succeed, I might try to port a simple browser to the DR1000 (if this isn't too hard). This would probably be somewhere in the not so near future though.
The firmware already contains a WebKit based browser called erbrowser. I think it has some build in limitations (in the published code!) that prevents proper browsing.
Midori has also been ported to the DR1000 (although it was for the old firmware, I think it will run also on R2.0.)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #24
rvs
Groupie

That's great! Saves me a lot of work
Old 04-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #25
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
I've been trying to connect the DR1000 to the Internet, but setting this up on my Linux machine is proving to be very difficult for me.

I wrote some instructions to make the DR800 browse internet in he old DR800 usbnet thread.

I can't remember completely, but I think I remove the limitations from the erbrowser in DR800+.

Inigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #26
rvs
Groupie

Thanks Inigo,

I'll have a look as soon I get Internet working.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #27
scotsman
Enthusiast
scotsman doesn't litterscotsman doesn't litter

Device: irex DR1000S
Hi all,
many thanks for tracking down the working g_ether, and many thanks for all who contributed to making g_ether work on the DR1000. This is awesome!
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote