Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Some of the claims made, though, were wrong. Even before the MP3 ID3-tag scripting exploit was fixed, you couldn't "infect" a Kindle by visiting a site which played an MP3 as background music, as claimed, for the simple reason that the Kindle's browser doesn't play music, and will make no attempt to load such a file.
Yep yifanlu covered that.

I just wanted to point out to the OP that chances are every device will have some kind of flaw either known or waiting to be found. So long as they're fixed in a reasonable time limit and a device doesn't have a disproportionate number, it shouldn't really impact a purchase decision.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I just wanted to point out to the OP that chances are every device will have some kind of flaw either known or waiting to be found. So long as they're fixed in a reasonable time limit and a device doesn't have a disproportionate number, it shouldn't really impact a purchase decision.
Yes, I agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Well, finally I was right:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...41&postcount=2

rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
The bug used in the MP3 hack could not be triggered by a web page. The bug discovered in 5.1.0 CAN be triggered by a web page. That is a big step down in security, and amazon was notified immediately (with a plea to fix that bug but NOT to try to lock down the kindle firmware so we cannot run custom code that WE want on OUR kindles).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
@yifanlu, I'm the developer has said KT is unsecure, based in reading your messages.

If you read in depth my messages in Spanish, I'm talking about potential problems, not true and real ones.

Hypotetically talking, one malicious website can take control of your Kindle using some Webkit vulnerability allowing write into user partition the tar update file that will install whatever thing website wants.
Quote:
Don't fool yourself. Firstly, mentioned security flaw doesn't use any Webkit vulnerability. As yifanlu said, Webkit is a pretty secure web browser engine and it really is. Then, if you'll dig down to original thread about this exploit, you'll find a simple command that fix it without any negative consequences.

Anyway, I'm welcoming public discussion of this subject. It is really serious breach and Amazon doesn't do anything to fix it (for all users) for about of two weeks.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert