Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Shame really, it was one of my preffered formats, but then I think we knew the writing was on the wall for it a long time ago.

One of the things I liked about it was the ease of converting it, I know that Calibre would create an epub for me that matched the original content of the LIT. A well-formatted LIT would make a well-formatted epub which needed a minimum of tweeking afterwards. Not something I could say about some other formats (I'm looking at you PDF).
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
One of the things I liked about it was the ease of converting it, I know that Calibre would create an epub for me that matched the original content of the LIT. A well-formatted LIT would make a well-formatted epub which needed a minimum of tweeking afterwards. Not something I could say about some other formats (I'm looking at you PDF).
So true. Prior to ADEPT being cracked, LIT was my format of choice (of course, immediately decrypted with ConvertLIT and converted with Calibre to ePub).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually thank god for clit.exe and the backing up of old key-files.
If it hadn't been for this I wouldn't have jumped into ebooks as heavily as I did years ago, at the time it was the only format that could be uninfected.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The same is true of Mobipocket. Both Mobi and LIT are based on the OEB (open eBook) standard. LIT and Mobi can both be losslessly converted to ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #20
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The same is true of Mobipocket. Both Mobi and LIT are based on the OEB (open eBook) standard. LIT and Mobi can both be losslessly converted to ePub.
The only issue that may come in with conversion is in regards to DRM. If you are of the type to break the DRM, I've heard people complain that random characters get added to LIT and words duplicated in Mobi. I've no first hand experience of this (I've never bought in either format, just PDFs, and ePubs), so I may be talking completely out of my ass on this. YMMV
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark
The only issue that may come in with conversion is in regards to DRM. If you are of the type to break the DRM, I've heard people complain that random characters get added to LIT and words duplicated in Mobi. I've no first hand experience of this (I've never bought in either format, just PDFs, and ePubs), so I may be talking completely out of my ass on this. YMMV
This is rare, but altogether possible. Keep in mind that there is no complete manual for the mobi format or its DRM. New ways that certain "trailing data"—in the mobi format especially—is handled are discovered all the time. Most of the facts are in, but certainly not all of them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-18-2011 at 11:34 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I've certainly heard that said (about problems, I mean ), but I can only go from my own experience. I used to buy all my eBook in LIT format from FictionWise (this was in "pre-Geographical-Restrictions" days, of course), remove the DRM, and convert to Mobi. I did that with well over 100 books, which I now have on my Kindle, and they're absolutely fine. No problems that I've noticed. I bought over 50 Agatha Christie books that way, and they're ones I re-read regularly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've certainly heard that said (about problems, I mean ), but I can only go from my own experience. I used to buy all my eBook in LIT format from FictionWise (this was in "pre-Geographical-Restrictions" days, of course), remove the DRM, and convert to Mobi. I did that with well over 100 books, which I now have on my Kindle, and they're absolutely fine. No problems that I've noticed. I bought over 50 Agatha Christie books that way, and they're ones I re-read regularly.

I have to agree with Harry here I've never had any issues with converting LIT files. All errors I observed where tracked back to the original file--as in publishers errors.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Shame really, it was one of my preffered formats, but then I think we knew the writing was on the wall for it a long time ago.

Take a look at Mobipocket as well. Sometimes the code under the hood is awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All the errors in LIT convert/DRM stripping have to do with using an older version of ConvertLIT or using ABC Amber LIT Converter. ABC uses older CLIT code that majorly messes up italics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #26
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I have fond memories of reading .LIT books on MS Reader on my old iPaq.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #27
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Yes LIT was good because it was easily crackable and convertible, ie, made irrelevant.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #28
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just ran across this. The pack continues to thin....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote