Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
alaya129
alaya129 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/Axim X50V
I tried in 2 ways :with full charged battery and with the charger connected.

I copied the image file (new_opt.img) in the root of my sd-card and then press 4 then 6 when flasher's menu appears.After that , I verified the OS and the version , there is no problem.

Then I changed some settings in main.xml and kconfig.xml , after that the reader can pass "Starting up ..." screen until the book list screen , and after a reset , it stopped at the "Starting up ..." screen , till now .
alaya129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #17
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaya129
I tried in 2 ways :with full charged battery and with the charger connected.

I copied the image file (new_opt.img) in the root of my sd-card and then press 4 then 6 when flasher's menu appears.After that , I verified the OS and the version , there is no problem.

Then I changed some settings in main.xml and kconfig.xml , after that the reader can pass "Starting up ..." screen until the book list screen , and after a reset , it stopped at the "Starting up ..." screen , till now .

Where do you have the kconfig.xml because I don't have it.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #18
alaya129

it's in \opt\sony\ebook\application\kconfig.xml
Old 05-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

I don't have it. Maybe Igor can help out here because he made the Universal Flasher.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #20
alaya129

it's not included in Universal Flasher , it's in the reader.

diabloNL , thank you for your helping . I will ask Igor for some help.
Advert
Old 05-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #21
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaya129
it's not included in Universal Flasher , it's in the reader.

diabloNL , thank you for your helping . I will ask Igor for some help.

Your welcome. Sorry I couldn't help you.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:18 AM   #22
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Did you try to change your fonts? If you didn't rename them correctly (not just the file name, but some internal names as well) then the reader will not go past the startup screen...
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:46 AM   #23
alaya129

pitolee , I think you are right , that's the problem . . .

but why unbricking mode is not woking ? I don't understand
Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 AM   #24
pitolee
Connoisseur
pitolee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
because it cannot find the font names it is looking for, it is simply stopping. It has replaced the original fonts with your new fonts but because of the naming problem it cannot continue so it just stops. I couldnt get it to do the hard reset or the ten times reset either.

The only way i found to fix it was to do what post#6 says. I downloaded the update program, unzipped and made the changes to the file. Like I think you already tried.

Then I ran the updater FIRST on the computer - THEN when it was looking for a reader i hooked it up to my reader. It found the reader no problem and started doing the update by itself.

The one think i did notice is the first time my power was also low - so even this failed. I suggest having the reader plugged in to the wall when doing this.

To recap - download the update and fix the file as per instructions in post #6.

Double click the update program on the computer. You will have to accept the agreement then you will get to the menu you took a picture of.

Plug your reader into the wall electrical outlet. Then, turn the Reader on so it gets to the starting up screen (it actually goes beyond that - but it cannot find the right fonts to draw more screens).

Now - and only now - plug the USB cord into the reader. The computer should establish a connection and update itself back to its original state.

That's what worked for me...

Good Luck!
pitolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #25
alaya129

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitolee
because it cannot find the font names it is looking for, it is simply stopping. It has replaced the original fonts with your new fonts but because of the naming problem it cannot continue so it just stops. I couldnt get it to do the hard reset or the ten times reset either.

The only way i found to fix it was to do what post#6 says. I downloaded the update program, unzipped and made the changes to the file. Like I think you already tried.

Then I ran the updater FIRST on the computer - THEN when it was looking for a reader i hooked it up to my reader. It found the reader no problem and started doing the update by itself.

The one think i did notice is the first time my power was also low - so even this failed. I suggest having the reader plugged in to the wall when doing this.

To recap - download the update and fix the file as per instructions in post #6.

Double click the update program on the computer. You will have to accept the agreement then you will get to the menu you took a picture of.

Plug your reader into the wall electrical outlet. Then, turn the Reader on so it gets to the starting up screen (it actually goes beyond that - but it cannot find the right fonts to draw more screens).

Now - and only now - plug the USB cord into the reader. The computer should establish a connection and update itself back to its original state.

That's what worked for me...

Good Luck!

Thanks , I tried , but not woking

What should I do , send it to SONY to repair ?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #26
dare99
dare99 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Woooo! I just unbricked my PRS-500 after more than a year!

Quiet Sunday here and I just came across my bricked reader where I'd slung it in the draw after trying everything (it bricked while I was trying a firmware update over with VM ware as I have vista x64).

I've just done a rebuild of my sons computer, putting a fresh install of XP on their and thought I'd give the latest firmware update a go AND IT WORKED!

No I just have to refresh the screen lots to get rid of the ghost sony symbol and "Unit is starting up".
dare99 is offline   Reply With Quote