Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One problem with first person narration is that it spoils any spoils any sort of cliff-hangers involving the narrator as you know the narrator has to survive otherwise, the narration would not be happening.

I agree with that..to a certain extent. At one, there was this circulating Sea Hunt joke, starring Lloyd Bridges: "Glub, glub. The giant shark approached closer and closer. Would I survive? Glub, glub." [Well, something to that extent.]

One of the benefits of first-person narration is that we are able to be closer to the protagonist - we experience her/his fears, frustrations, love, etc.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I didn't care for it, but Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun series, starting with Shadow of the Torturer, is quite popular.
Yeah, those came to mind first for me. Weird, weird books like most of Wolfe's writing. I'm not sure if I'm a fan yet or not.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One problem with first person narration is that it spoils any spoils any sort of cliff-hangers involving the narrator as you know the narrator has to survive otherwise, the narration would not be happening.
Well, we you assume that all cliff-hangers have to involve life or death.

Also, fantasy and science fiction stories can have dead narrators through several possible devices.

The final thought is that the first person narrative could end right before the resolution to the cliff hanger (maybe have several different people tell the first person narrative.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I read a book just last year where the first-person narrator died before the end. Another character took over the narration. I won't say which book it was.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I enjoyed "The Book of Lies" by Mary Horlock, though the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads are mixed.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
What gets even more interesting is when you have a third person POV unreliable narrator....
Bill
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson could qualify since the story is told through Eleanor's point of view.
Spoiler:
You start to suspect she is a little mentally unstable. I found myself checking the other characters' reactions to events to confirm that things were as they seemed to Eleanor. It remained ambiguous.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Henry James' The Turn of the Screw possibly has an unreliable narrator, but the book ends without the reader knowing for certain.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
People make a big fuss about Book of the New Sun, but the narrator being reliable or not barely changes anything. It's overrated, and often questionable. It's the same thing as many characters in the book being named after saints. So what ? "Umm... Errr.... Nothing I guess. It just makes me feel better, a part of an erudite circle. I praise the book because it makes me feel superior to others."

A much better example is Flowers For Algernon by Keyes. In the book, you can clearly see the narrator interpreting the same events differently as his understanding changes.

Another example is Canticle for Leibowitz by Miller. It's a book about people trying to recover from a nuclear holocaust. A war that destroyed nearly all traces of civilization, reducing humanity to illiteracy, swords and bows. A monastery is scrambling to find and preserve any bits of knowledge. Their understanding of the past is very limited, and they often interpret remains incorrectly.

Last edited by b0rsuk; 04-22-2012 at 11:33 AM.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #24
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I read a book just last year where the first-person narrator died before the end. Another character took over the narration. I won't say which book it was.
Ooooh, I read that book too. It was what first came to mind when I saw the thread title. Good book, one of my three best reads last year. Have you read the sequel yet? I haven't, but I'm really looking forward to it.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #25
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Ooooh, I read that book too. It was what first came to mind when I saw the thread title. Good book, one of my three best reads last year. Have you read the sequel yet? I haven't, but I'm really looking forward to it.
Oh darn it, now I'm really intrigued.

and also: Flowers for Algernon is another of my faves!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #26
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
The "Red Mars" trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson is another example.
WARNING: It's hard SF, and each of the 3 parts is brick-sized. Narration is dry, pacing very slow. The first book is largely about Earth-like issues and motivations in Martian setting. Expect to learn a lot about Mars, politics, geology, technology, astrophysics. Keep a sheet of paper and a pen with you, you'll be checking out many terms.

Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different scientist or other major person. They differ in their knowledge, goals, motivations, etc. They perceive the same events differently and might be even ignorant of some of them. Each chapter shows things in a different light. Events on the Earth are poorly known, they are reported by news agencies. Despite the entire world being connected, uneven flow of information is important to the events in the book.

The book reminds me of:
- Dune by Frank Herbert
- Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, fractions and major figures leading them
- hard SF classics, of course

Last edited by b0rsuk; 04-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
I started reading The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie with the presumption That anyone other than Hercule Poirot was wrong. I'll just say the narrator changes his opinion several times.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote