Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-16-2024, 09:17 PM   #16
quocsan
Enthusiast
quocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FWIW, I took a peek at the code in MainWindow related to saving and restoring toolbar state in Sigil's v6 ini file and nothing changed with SaveState and RestoreState in this release compared to the previous one. So I do think there is a bug in macOS Sequoia Beta related to saving state.
Thank you very much for your useful information, KevinH.
quocsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 01:10 PM   #17
wildfire070
Enthusiast
wildfire070 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Scribe, Paperwhite // Boox Palma
In the previous version of Sigil, the "automatic file fix" pop-up had "Yes" as the default highlighted selection. This current update defaults to highlight "No" instead. Is it possible to have that revert back so that "Yes" is the default?

With my workflow, I open a batch of epubs at a time that need to be automatically fixed and it's much faster for me to hit the return key instead of now having to use the cursor to select and click "Yes".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 1.02.30 PM.png
Views:	26
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	208951  
wildfire070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2024, 02:43 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There is only one commit to the source code file that contains that messagebox since the last version of Sigil, and I see no changes that would alter which button that particular messagebox would default to. Kevin may have more of an idea on that, though.

Perhaps the widget highlight code?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 03:07 PM   #19
Violand
Violand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello, and thank you for your great work.

I wanted to ask if this is a bug in the new version. That is, when I rename the xhtml files in the "Book Browser" window, now the "id" and "idref" are no longer renamed in the content.ops file, as happened in previous versions.

Ah, I have windows 11 64 bit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-17 203646.png
Views:	26
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	208952  
Violand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 03:29 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violand View Post
Hello, and thank you for your great work.

I wanted to ask if this is a bug in the new version. That is, when I rename the xhtml files in the "Book Browser" window, now the "id" and "idref" are no longer renamed in the content.ops file, as happened in previous versions.
I checked with Sigil 2.10 and it did not rename the id and idref items in the .opf file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2024, 03:44 PM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes we never modified the idref/id in the manifest on rename as all they need to be is unique, so no need to ever change them. The user is free to pick and set his own unique id in the opf after a rename. The id need never match the file name. That was just an expedient to generate unique ids (since the filename must be unique, we used that).

Last edited by KevinH; 06-17-2024 at 04:01 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 03:46 PM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire070 View Post
In the previous version of Sigil, the "automatic file fix" pop-up had "Yes" as the default highlighted selection. This current update defaults to highlight "No" instead. Is it possible to have that revert back so that "Yes" is the default?

With my workflow, I open a batch of epubs at a time that need to be automatically fixed and it's much faster for me to hit the return key instead of now having to use the cursor to select and click "Yes".
This change is due to a change in how Qt determines which button should have the default setting. They have gone back and forth on this with one fix changing it one way and one fix changing it back.

We can try to work around this by specifying which one we want to the default button instead of allowing Qt to choose. I will add that for the next release.

PS, Use the Tab key to shift focus to the Yes button, no cursor needed.

PPS, I have now pushed a fix for this to master. The fix will appear in the next release.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-17-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:08 PM   #23
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I checked with Sigil 2.10 and it did not rename the id and idref items in the .opf file.
I also tested this with Sigil 0.9.8 and it actually renamed the id and idref items in the .opf file. The OP must have previously used a rather old Sigil version.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:14 PM   #24
Violand
Violand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Yes we never modified the idref/id in the manifest on rename as all they need to be is unique, so no need to ever change them. The user is free to pick and set his own unique id in the opf after a rename. The id need never match the file name. That was just an expedient to generate unique ids (since the filename must be unique, we used that).
I had guessed the expedient and found it brilliant precisely because in this way I could also rename the id/idref items.

Doing it manually for so many files will now be complicated

I'll just say it: it might be useful to insert an alternative option "rename the id/idref too"
Violand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:17 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, Sigil has never done that since we moved away from that horrid old xml processor way back before Sigil 1.0.

As for id strings being named after the file itself, there is no need to do this, no one reading it will ever see it and the only thing to use it is the opf internally. All it has to be is unique.

Any "new feature" to re-id all files in the OPF would have to be done by a Sigil plugin, as it is not suitable for Sigil itself.

Perhaps you can convince a Sigil plugin developer to help you create one. Do not forget to properly update the spine if needed and to watch for smil and other things that use the ids for references such as metadata elements in the form of refines.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-17-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 04:22 PM   #26
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Just gets better and better, thanks. I do still wish there was a horizontal scroll at the top for tabs, but I understand it's not gonna be a thing.

Well done, thank you.
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 07:11 PM   #27
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.msla View Post
Just gets better and better, thanks. I do still wish there was a horizontal scroll at the top for tabs, but I understand it's not gonna be a thing.

Well done, thank you.
Unless your platform disallows them, there are scroll buttons that should automatically appear when there are too many tabs open than the tabbar can handle. Those buttons should respond to the scroll wheel of your mouse as well.

Sorry but Qt's QTabBar does not directly support using a scrollbar to scroll across tabs.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-17-2024 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:10 PM   #28
wildfire070
Enthusiast
wildfire070 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Scribe, Paperwhite // Boox Palma
Quote:
This change is due to a change in how Qt determines which button should have the default setting. They have gone back and forth on this with one fix changing it one way and one fix changing it back.

We can try to work around this by specifying which one we want to the default button instead of allowing Qt to choose. I will add that for the next release.

PS, Use the Tab key to shift focus to the Yes button, no cursor needed.

PPS, I have now pushed a fix for this to master. The fix will appear in the next release.

Awesome work! Unfortunately, tab key doesn't shift selection to the Yes button for me. Could be because I'm on macOS? Not sure. But I'll look forward to the next release. Thanks!

Last edited by wildfire070; 06-17-2024 at 10:15 PM.
wildfire070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 07:38 AM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer

It used to work for me and I am on macOS. Tab and Shift-Tab is supposed to move the focus forward and back (respectively) in the focus chain on all platforms. So something is strange. Perhaps the QMessageBox is more broken or finicky than I thought.

Using the tab key should always move focus in a Qt app among buttons even on macOS systems.

I just tried on my macOS machine and tab did nothing. Seems, I need to do more work here.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-18-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:57 AM   #30
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire070 View Post
Awesome work! Unfortunately, tab key doesn't shift selection to the Yes button for me. Could be because I'm on macOS? Not sure. But I'll look forward to the next release. Thanks!
Okay, I just read that newer Qt disables the Tab to shift focus feature on macOS unless the macOS User has enabled it in their System Settings.

So exit completely out of Sigil.

Then go to your MacOS System Settings -> Keyboard Then look for "Keyboard Navigation" and turn it on using the slide button on the far right.

This will allow you to use Tab and Shift-Tab to move focus forward and back on macOS across the buttons using just the tab key.

This will save you from having to use the mouse to click on the Yes button until a new version is released.

Just tested this on my mac and it works just fine.