Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be getting the new Kindle Oasis?
Definitely yes 63 18.16%
Probably yes 21 6.05%
Maybe 59 17.00%
No, nada, never 204 58.79%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
I have a total of 3 Kindles..including one of the originals. They are all working fine. The price on this new ereader is a strong put off for me. I can't justify it until one or more of my other Kindles stops working and even then I will probably go with a PW instead. I really don't need the lights.
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #17
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
It´s fair as people point out that the Paperwhite 3 represents better value for money, and most people would want to buy that.

I´m fine with having a more expensive e-reader width slightly better ergonomics than what most people would want to buy.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #18
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
It costs about twice a reasonable price and it's definitely ugly, IMHO.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I voted "probably yes". I rather like the design, weird as it is, and I might get the Oasis sometime in the future. The price is offputting, though. I cannot afford it right now, and my Voyage is still new and perfectly satisfying. So I won't think about buying the Oasis before the end of summer, at the earliest.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #20
el_topo50
Connoisseur
el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.el_topo50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (5.7.2.1. JB)
$290??? Really??? Thanks Amazon, but I'll pass on this one..
el_topo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #21
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I have several generations of Kindle paperwhites and my wife has a Voyager. About a year and a half ago I switched to the KOBO H2O and have been very happy with the reader software and screen. Nevertheless I was hoping the Oasis would give me a reason to jump back to the Kindle. No go. Very disappointing. I wish the market could support more competition so Amazon would have to offer more at a better price.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:58 PM   #22
Stwor
Stwor began at the beginning.

Device: PW 3
I feel like Amazon somehow disconnected itself from the market with this device. Don't see any reason to ask for such a price. Also, I prefer to read in horizontal mode and with Oasis it would be rather inconvenient.

So, big no from me. I hoped to see some technology advancement, like faster screen or even color. But technically Oasis is just a KV with different form factor and even more expensive.
Stwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #23
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
As long as my PW2 and my voyage is working I cannot see it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I answered maybe, because I can't say never.

At this time though I have no intention of purchasing a new reader at all. I bought my Aura HD when it was released in April of 2013 and have found no compelling need to replace it after reading many hundreds of titles on it. There have been some semi-interesting upgrades to come out since then (H20, Voyage, etc.), but nothing that made me feel I'd get some kind of huge boost to the reading experience. After upgrading often in the early days (Sony 505, K2, Cybook Opus, K3, Kindle Touch...). I've gotten to the point where while I find some new features interesting they aren't that interesting.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #25
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Absolutely I'll give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen? I don't like it and return it for a refund. That's not a big deal.

Many of the things people all over the internet are complaining about seem blown out of proportion.

Price - yes, it's expensive. $290. Voyage with a leather cover is $260. Barely an increase for a new premium e-reader. Maybe amazon screwed up by including the cover and giving the illusion that it costs drastically more than the other options, but when you add 1st party cover to the voyage, the price of the Oasis really isn't that far out of whack.

Ergonomics / look and feel - for one thing, change makes people uncomfortable, but I approach the new kindle with an open mind. It's very possible that it may just plain suck. But I'll give amazon the benefit of the doubt on this one. If you read the early reviews from people who have actually used it, I don't think I've found any that say it's weird or awkward to use. In fact, several of them say that it feels amazing and that you shouldn't judge the Oasis from pictures and really have to try it to see how great it feels in your hand.

$290 is no big deal if it's really an improvement over the Voyage. I'm optimistic. Early reviews are very positive. Between the drastic reduction in weight, improvement in ergonomics (this coming from people who have used it), and more even lighting, I'm excited to give it a whirl.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #26
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Probably yes.

My Voyage is still wonderful, even though I got it a month after they came out. I love the resolution. BUT I am developing arthritis issues, and fingertip sensitivity issues, and lots of health issues .... so ergonomics is a huge draw. And I read voraciously. I'll wait a month or two, since that's what the wait time is anyway, but I might very well get one.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #27
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i responded with a maybe. if i could sell my voyage for at least $150.00, i will use that to offset the cost of the oasis. otherwise, it's not worth it for me to buy this particular model.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #28
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Does amazon's trade-in page list a value for voyages? It may not be very high, though.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #29
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Does amazon's trade-in page list a value for voyages? It may not be very high, though.
I don't see the Voyage on the Kindle trade-in page.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
They don't seem to accept trade-ins for devices they still sell. The highest trade-in value I saw there was $55 for Paperwhite (6th gen) with 3G+WiFi.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote