Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Blimey ... Ask and they all come out of the woodwork !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
It arrived today. The instruction sheet says this:

"Thank you for purchasing the TruePower U-Socket! U-Socket is a duplex AC receptacle with built-in USB ports that can power any device that is capable of being charged via USB, including iPods, iPhones & iPads at their full charge rate. Designed to replace a traditional 3-prong AC wall outlet, U-Socket eliminates the clutter of AC Adapters that hang from the wall, stick out & take up space in your home or office. In addition to keeping things neat & organized, U-Socket reduces your energy costs dramatically thanks to its 5-star energy efficient design that auto senses the required wattage & only outputs full power if something is connected to it."

I've examined it and read the instructions, and it installs exactly the same as any other outlet. The stuff that's behind the plate isn't much bulkier either - I don't think I'll have any trouble fitting it into the box in the wall. I can't install it right now because I can't turn off the power right now, but I will install it tomorrow and give a full report.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #18
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
"organized, U-Socket reduces your energy costs dramatically thanks to its 5-star energy efficient design that auto senses the required wattage & only outputs full power if something is connected to it."

Hmm. "full power" when connected - does that mean it is using power, even low power, when nothing is connected, like a wall wart?

I'm trying to think where I have a socket where this could be of use. My desk's outlet is already fully occupied by tons of stuff and that feeds a power strip with plenty of wall warts. And since the socket is on the floor level under the desk, it would not be very convenient to get to it. I do like the idea.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #19
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
This might make more sense:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...c434222b5f0e70

Assuming the sun shines where you live.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:04 AM   #20
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I've been rather naively topping up my Kindle 3 WiFi with the Belkin recharger for my (standard) iPod.

It seems to work, and the Kindle doesn't seem to have suffered - yet. Should I be worried?

Last edited by chamekke; 02-12-2011 at 02:09 AM.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #21
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
iGo - www.igo.com

Their Charge Anywhere is a wall wart, with two USB outlets. YOu buy tips to fit your devices to charge them. It also has a built in battery to charge when you don't have access to an outlet. I just carry mine with me, so when I am not charging, it is not plugged in.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #22
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Yes, there are a zillion wall wart solutions. I have a whole pile of them. I guess I am just a freak, that not needing them seems so spiffy.

I still haven't installed it. I was crazy busy all day yesterday and then it got dark before I found time. I should do it today before it gets dark again.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #23
Miserlou57
Miserlou57 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Seems there's a new player on the block with the USB outlets... and they've got two versions.

Can't say I'd mind having one of the quattros.

The CurrentWerks
Miserlou57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserlou57 View Post
Seems there's a new player on the block with the USB outlets... and they've got two versions.

Can't say I'd mind having one of the quattros.

The CurrentWerks
Because they show these USB ports with Apple products, I'm weary or it working with non-Apple products. It doesn't say it does.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #25
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today I leafed through a folder of Jung (manufacturer of wall sockets, switches, etc) and saw they now have a wall socket with 2 USB outlets, there's also one with a single USB outlet. As far as I know Jung is available in Holland and Germany, I don't know about other countries.

I'm going to see if I can get my father to order one and put it in one of the displays, I think people might be interested in it since more electronics can be charges with USB.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because they show these USB ports with Apple products, I'm weary or it working with non-Apple products. It doesn't say it does.
It does, Jon. I bought the same thing from BestBuy Canada and it works with all of my devices. The USB end is the same across platforms; it is the device end that is different.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...c03f321260en02

Last edited by taming; 12-18-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: link
taming is offline   Reply With Quote