Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #16
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs
For me scp works without problems on the device...
I have this symlink:
/usr/bin/scp -> /usr/sbin/dropbearmulti

Do you guys want the dropbear IPK file I use?
Install with "ipkg install"
Uh folks I think M is pulling your leg.

The iLiad runs a script on startup that specifically removes his dropbear from the iLiad. So I think you'd have to re-install it every time you boot your iLiad.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #17
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
I have ipkg install-ed this particular dropbear.ipk onto my device dozens and dozens of times,
I rest my case.

By the way, I recommend Samba. This lets you mount your iLiad from Windows, Mac and Linux and use your normal GUI/command line tools to copy/delete/update files. Much easier than SCP et al.
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 02:29 AM   #18
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
Please be informed before you make such accusations. This removal dropbear code is no longer part of 2.8.
I installed dropbear dozens of times, because I update my software to internal test builds (which don't include dropbear by default) several times a week.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 AM   #19
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Please be informed before you make such accusations. This removal dropbear code is no longer part of 2.8.
I installed dropbear dozens of times, because I update my software to internal test builds (which don't include dropbear by default) several times a week.
Somehow I assumed that -- no developer reinstalls software dozens and dozens of times unless it is necessary for some reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
By the way, I recommend Samba. This lets you mount your iLiad from Windows, Mac and Linux and use your normal GUI/command line tools to copy/delete/update files. Much easier than SCP et al.
Samba would be perfect! Are there any howtos on this? I have had problems enough getting samba to work properly on our debian file server, I haven't even tried on the iLiad...
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:25 AM   #20
Sergeij2000
Sergeij2000 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Treo T650
Quote:
Originally Posted by narve
Samba would be perfect! Are there any howtos on this? I have had problems enough getting samba to work properly on our debian file server, I haven't even tried on the iLiad...
I'm running samba on several machines (my Debian file servers - and last but not least on my Macs) - so installing samba it is only the matter of getting the correct packages for the ARM architecture and adding some entries to smb.conf.

Nevertheless i'm seconding dropbear, because you need it anyway to get a more comfortable secure shell access to the iLiad. And i regard a connection using ssh or scp as much more secure than a samba session, as ssh/scp uses a very strong encryption (i usually have all my machines configured so i can access them from the internet).

@Scotty1024: I didn't see the dropbear-removal-issue on my iLiad (2.8).

@Mathijs: I was refering to the bricking issue when installing dropbear from scratch without the help of a convenient package. I used your package to install dropbear: No bricking

cu/

Sergeij
Sergeij2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 03:46 AM   #21
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
I have a samba(-server) ipk here too, but I don't dare to post it, because installing it to your root filesystem will fill it to the last byte and then fail (e.g. samba is bigger than the amount of free diskspace).
If you know what you're doing you can install it to f.i. a SD/CF card, but I'm not sure I should risk this...
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #22
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
I am informed: most folks doing development are using 2.7! It would have been useful if you had reminded everyone about that script when you handed out the ipkg.

I'm very happy to hear this repressive bit of script code has been removed from 2.8. It seems as though a new day is dawning at iRex.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #23
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I am informed: most folks doing development are using 2.7!...
How do you work that out...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #24
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
I have a samba(-server) ipk here too, but I don't dare to post it, because installing it to your root filesystem will fill it to the last byte and then fail (e.g. samba is bigger than the amount of free diskspace).
If you know what you're doing you can install it to f.i. a SD/CF card, but I'm not sure I should risk this...
The days of installing software into / via ipkg are rapidly closing. We need to get things setup so there is a /opt that can be configured in some standard way to a SD/CF card.

Or you need to give up ipkg and join with us to produce stand alone archives that have an icon and run out of a directory like Gnu Chess, x48 et al.

If you post your ipkg I'll wrap it.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #25
jls
jls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud of

I finally got mil iLiad. It's great! The shell extension was ready for download within a few
hours. So I am pleased with that. I installed the FBReader, dillo and dropbear from the ipkg file Matthijs posted. (v46 could'nt find the newer one only references to it) Still I am not able to login remotely because I do not know the root password of my device. I tried "rootme" which I found in some mailing but it does not work. Can I change it or will I brick my device if I do that ?

jls
jls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #26
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jls
I finally got mil iLiad. It's great! The shell extension was ready for download within a few
hours. So I am pleased with that. I installed the FBReader, dillo and dropbear from the ipkg file Matthijs posted. (v46 could'nt find the newer one only references to it) Still I am not able to login remotely because I do not know the root password of my device. I tried "rootme" which I found in some mailing but it does not work. Can I change it or will I brick my device if I do that ?

jls
rootme is for something else.

You don't need the root password, you can generate a ssh keypair. There is a howto somewhere in the forums (that is how I made it).
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It might be time to gather together all those bits and pieces and put together a list of instructions for those who want to set up to do more with their iLiad.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #28
jls
jls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud ofjls has much to be proud of

authorized_keys did the job. Perfect! Thank you.
What is rootme for ? Can I change the password? It does not ask for the old one. But I did not dare to.
jls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #29
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jls
authorized_keys did the job. Perfect! Thank you.
What is rootme for ? Can I change the password? It does not ask for the old one. But I did not dare to.
Rootme is for the unbrickable package: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10225

It starts SSH and networking with the iLiad so that if a configuration file is broken, you will still be able to access the device and fix it.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #30
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I have started dropbear on iLiad. When I used WinSCP to connect to Iliad, I can browse file system, create and delete a directory, but I can't download (copy) file to my PC. An error message told me to make sure SCP server is installed and PATH set. However, I amd sure that scp is installed and PATH is set on iLiad.
Any suggestions?
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote