Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 PM   #16
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygirl351 View Post
Oh, I am an animal lover so naturally like to read books with pets in it. I guess the most recent animal story I've read was Marley and me. That one sticks with me because I have an old dog and it sorta hits home. The movie even made my dad sniffle which is saying something.
Lots of books I read as a child though have sad endings. Most famous are Old Yeller and Black Beauty. I also loved Where the Red Fern Grows. My next read will be Alex and Me which is about the famous talking parrot that died a few years ago.
Wouldn't watch/read Marley and Me. I just knew I would cry from the very beginning cause I knew what happens. Too sad.

I saw Old Yeller at the theater as a kid and bawled my eyes out.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #17
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
I think we don't like animals, kids, old people getting killed/hurt is because they are for the most part defenseless and mean no harm.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
KC Hughes
Author, Man in the Mirror
KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.KC Hughes has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I think we don't like animals, kids, old people getting killed/hurt is because they are for the most part defenseless and mean no harm.

Carol
And totally innocent.

KC
KC Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
"Kid, we all got it coming." Clint Eastwood as Will Munny, in Unforgiven.

Whatever harm animals do they do out of instinct, training, or reflex.
Whatever harm humans do they do out of malice, ignorance, or indifference.
Animals don't know better, humans should.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I swear if Dean Koontz makes another book with a damn dog in it Im coming to his house and punching him in the face lol. I like his books enough but Im tired of the dogs.....I get it, you love your dog...ajd immortalized your dead one.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I also find it inordinately upsetting when the pet is killed in a book. I don't know why, it's much worse than a person getting killed. That was a big problem I had with

Spoiler:
The Knife of Never Letting Go

As far as "dog books" I think Marley and Me is a really good read for any dog-lover. But I think that The Art of Racing in the Rain is just a great book. You don't have to be interested in dogs or car-racing. The writing is just excellent, and the POV is fresh.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm still creeped out by the plot-twist with the cat in Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenberger. It's a ghost story set in London. Very disturbing!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #23
Jeremiah.L.Burns
Jeremiah.L.Burns doesn't litterJeremiah.L.Burns doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
Pets make a charming addition to stories if they play an integral part rather than a distraction. I'm on book VI / VII of the "Dark Tower" series by Stephen King and Oy is an absolute joy. I want a billy-bumbler of my own!

Don't know if he makes it to the end of the series or not...so those who've finished the series please don't spoil it for me!
Jeremiah.L.Burns is offline   Reply With Quote