Serif - Crimson Pro
Sans - Verdana I've always loved Verdana
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:35 AM   #17
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
My favourite font when reading classical literature is Ibarra Real (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Ibarra+Real+Nova). Palatino or bookerly otherwise. And I don't change very often.
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2023, 06:07 AM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I keep going back to Gill Sans. I'll look at a font on a Windows PC, and it will look very appealing, but for some reason, when I try it on my Kobos, I end up preferring Gill Sans.

As far as the Char SIL variants, meh.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:29 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One of the problems I've noticed is that a lot of fonts are really expensive. I'd love to be able to try Monotype Baskerville eText but that's not happening at the price charged.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:04 AM   #20
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I am a long time Bookerly person. I did try Ember for a couple of months when I got a Scribe.
I use Ember for reading the Economist (pulled in via Calibre, natch) and nothing else. By this point I'm so used to it that the Economist's actual font looks wrong to me -- perhaps because a few years back the Economist dumped its lovely custom-designed font, which it'd used for decades, in favour of something IMHO much less readable. God knows why.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2023, 08:05 AM   #21
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quando. I have been using it for years now.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:26 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Quando. I have been using it for years now.
Why would you use a font that only has a regular version? What do you do for bold, italic, and bold italic?
Old 06-02-2023, 12:48 PM   #23
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I use Bookerly during the day. I have tried many fonts on Kindle, Kobo and various Android eReader apps, and never found one that I like as much. I use Literata Medium at night because it allows me to get exactly the level of bold text I want for my tired eyes.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:00 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I use Bookerly during the day. I have tried many fonts on Kindle, Kobo and various Android eReader apps, and never found one that I like as much. I use Literata Medium at night because it allows me to get exactly the level of bold text I want for my tired eyes.
You can up the weight of Bookerly if you use a Kobo or Kindle at night.
Old 06-02-2023, 04:26 PM   #25
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you use a font that only has a regular version? What do you do for bold, italic, and bold italic?
I have all 4. I can’t remember where I got them, but I have had all 4 for years now.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:37 PM   #26
escaner
escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th
I like to change fonts a lot, but in the end Baskerville is on about 80% of the time, especially for old/gothic books. It just renders so well in the Kindle PW...
Otherwise Palatino is fine (although no soo nice), Sabon OK too, and recently tried and loved Garamond with its triple ligatures, awesome!
I am not a lover of sans serif fonts for books but when reading classic scifi (Asimov, Clarke etc.) I find Futura gorgeous with its retro-futuristic look.
As for Bookerly or Caecilla, they remind me of old typewriters, never use them.
escaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:59 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I have all 4. I can’t remember where I got them, but I have had all 4 for years now.
That's odd. I can only find the regular version.
Old 06-03-2023, 05:00 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaner View Post
I like to change fonts a lot, but in the end Baskerville is on about 80% of the time, especially for old/gothic books. It just renders so well in the Kindle PW...
Otherwise Palatino is fine (although no soo nice), Sabon OK too, and recently tried and loved Garamond with its triple ligatures, awesome!
I am not a lover of sans serif fonts for books but when reading classic scifi (Asimov, Clarke etc.) I find Futura gorgeous with its retro-futuristic look.
As for Bookerly or Caecilla, they remind me of old typewriters, never use them.
The best version of Baskerville is Baskerville eText. But it costs and is rather expensive.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:31 AM   #29
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
ChareInk size 2 is my sweet spot ever since I first found it here. I've just added the 6SP to my library of kindles!
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:32 AM   #30
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
Please excuse a question from a font neophyte. I love to swap fonts on my ebooks and love to read about new options. But I know little about fonts themselves, how they are designed, etc. Right now I'm confused about font weighting. I understand what this means, but I also see reference to 'hinting' and I'm unclear on whether this is the same thing as 'weighting' or something else. Any clarification much appreciated! -- Paul
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite, favorite font, font