Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
PDowns
Enthusiast
PDowns doesn't litterPDowns doesn't litter

Device: (jetBook)lost in mail;(Kobo;ipod touch;Samsung S
Thank you! I am new! Kobo reader that is....
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
I have EXACTLY the same problem. I sent an email to the kobo helpdesk noting those three problems. Here is their response:

"We have known issues with our recent update. We do apologize for any inconveniences this is causing.

Our team is currently in the process of resolving these issues. hey anticipate this to be resolved by today and you can anticipate a new update.

Sincerely,

The Kobo Team"

I did find that by doing a hard reset and reloading your ePubs using calibre, I have been able to fix problems 1 and 2, but I could not fix problem 3. I suppose the desktop app update will fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
First gen Kobo fresh out of the box. I had some sideloaded epubs. With the latest promotion I bought a book from kobobooks. I downloaded the 1.7.1 desktop app cleaned out my library (i.e. deleted everything from I'm reading except what I wanted to load on my Kobo) and then synced. Big mistake.

Three major problems now.

1) I can't hide my preloaded books. What is funny is that when I switch to show preloaded they are the only books that show but both "show all books" and "show my books" show everything.

2) My sideloaded books show up in the library but will not load.

3) and to add insult to injury the sync will not add the book I bought from Kobo onto my read.

Needless to say I am not very happy. I know how to rebuild the database from a time when I mucked it up but this time I didn't do anything strange or unusual. I bought a book and tried to sync.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstar View Post
I did find that by doing a hard reset and reloading your ePubs using calibre, I have been able to fix problems 1 and 2, but I could not fix problem 3. I suppose the desktop app update will fix that.
I ended up rebuilding the database, removing desktop 1.71 replacing it with 1.6, and then syncing which solved all three problems. Still annoyed about having the new desktop app corrupt my database but now I can read everything again...
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #19
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
I ended up rebuilding the database, removing desktop 1.71 replacing it with 1.6, and then syncing which solved all three problems. Still annoyed about having the new desktop app corrupt my database but now I can read everything again...
I did find that. Suddenly I couldn't read any of the side loaded books. What I did was to pull them all off, using Calibre, and then reload them. I tested it on one book first though.

It all works fine now.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Hopefully, the fixed up desktop application will make that kind of shtuff unnecessary.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Hopefully, the fixed up desktop application will make that kind of shtuff unnecessary.
Hopefully, but it's still not clear that it will fix a database mucked up by the last desktop app.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #22
thepossum
Zealot
thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.thepossum can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

My problem was similar -- I upgraded to Desktop 1.7.1 and after I synced my Kobo, none of my sideloaded epub files would open. I could select them from the list, and when I clicked on one to read it nothing happened. I hadn't (yet) purchased any books, except for some free ones I'd pretty much only put on for testing, so I didn't really bother trying to debug that.

The solution was fairly simple for me: Plug the Kobo in to my USB, delete all the epub files, unplug it and wait for it to process the content, and then reverse the process. After I plugged it back in, copied the epub files back on, unplugged it again and waited for it to reprocess the files, I could again open the epub files.

Fortunately for me I only read one book at a time and knew which chapter I was on. Also fortunately I hadn't yet purchased anything online.
thepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #23
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
OK...just installed the new desktop ver 1.7.3. However, in addition to not being able to access side-loaded epubs, I have lost the ability to hide the preloaded books. Was this supposed to be fixed in the update, or is my only solution to reset the device and reload all my books? Also, mine is the orginal Kobo and I updated the firmware when it was pushed to us earlier this year. Does, reseting the device return it to the original firmware, or will it bring me back to the latest update? I'd really hate to have to go through all that again! Anybody...?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
A reset to factory will get you the version of the firmware that is currently on your Kobo, not the original 1.0. As JC stated, the newest firmware for the original Kobo is in closed beta, even as we speak.

My general sense is that we are in an in-between stage--with the new version of the desktop really built around a firmware version that we have not yet seen (but should shortly if the beta goes well). I can hide preloaded books on my WiFi Kobo, but not currently on the original. I expect that to change.

I can sideload through Calibre just fine using the original Kobo and the WiFi, so i am not really sure what is up with your reader, jimr.

Last edited by taming; 11-04-2010 at 06:58 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 AM   #25
creenzie
creenzie began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Myself and some friends have the same problem the sync will not load the books and we just spent over 150.00 on books to not get anything..why do they change websites to "fix them and make them better" when there is nothing wrong with the web page to start with all they end up doing is upsetting their loyal kobo owners who after 2 days of mind games with kobo have decided NOT to buy the new kobo touch and buy nook or kindle instead.
creenzie is offline   Reply With Quote