Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-07-2024, 07:41 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I wonder is Vellum really bad or are they just clueless at using it?
Vellum takes a docx input file (Word, LO Writer, Scrivener, Pages, etc.) and converts it to an ePub file (I think mobi is an alternate output but don't actually know anyone who has used it). The major issues some people seem to have with it is that it has two stylesheets, one of which is dedicated to media queries and that it loves using masses of <div>s. OTOH, it is pretty consistent and so easy to clean up. I have a collection of saved searches which automate pretty much the whole procedure.

The ePub output can be aimed at Kindle for upload to Amazon or ePub for everywhere else. The main difference being that the Amazon specific media queries are not present in the ePub for elsewhere.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-07-2024 at 07:46 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 12:19 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My main complaints:
Huge spacing on titlepage (overflows onto second screen. design for Print or Hires screens?)
Uses letterspacing which kepub mishandles the space between words (makes it really small)
Chapter43 not Chapter 43
I have saved searches to correct both (I just comment out that in the CSS)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2024, 11:33 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I wonder is Vellum really bad or are they just clueless at using it?
Vellum really is that bad. It should be banned.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 02:58 PM   #19
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Vellum drives me nuts. If there is an easy way to get rid of the excessive divs with the multitude of classes and what that does to the css stylesheet, I would love

I use Sigil with TagMechanic to manually reduce the number of divs one by one and cssRemoveUnusedSelectors to clean up the css, but it's an arduous, manual process for me.

I'm also perplexed by the media queries. I usually just delete the entire media query stylesheet then manually edit the main stylesheet to my liking. Again, an arduous, manual process.

Advice, recommendations, instruction, tips — all greatly appreciated.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 03:03 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Vellum drives me nuts. If there is an easy way to get rid of the excessive divs with the multitude of classes and what that does to the css stylesheet, I would love

I use Sigil with TagMechanic to manually reduce the number of divs one by one and cssRemoveUnusedSelectors to clean up the css, but it's an arduous, manual process for me.

I'm also perplexed by the media queries. I usually just delete the entire media query stylesheet then manually edit the main stylesheet to my liking. Again, an arduous, manual process.

I do it similarly with Vellum made eBooks. As for the excessive chapter header divs, I dump them all as they aren't needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2024, 03:27 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post

Since Vellum is pretty consistent, I have a collection of saved searches and automations in Sigil to do the clean up.
  1. Replace the media queries stylesheet with a stylesheet with about 5 entries
  2. Run the HTML saved search/replace set
  3. Run the first automation collection
  4. Run the CSS cleanup saved search/replace set
  5. Manually run CSS reformat (multiple lines per style) to clean up the blank lines in the stylesheet
  6. Run the second automation collection
  7. Run the Afters saved search/replace set
  8. Use Tag Mechanic to remove blank <div> and <span>
  9. Run the second automation to check everything is okay

Some oddities are that the HTML search/replace set replaces any &lt; and &gt; in the HTML files with #lt; and #gt; since the CustomCleanerPlus plugin I use with Sigil is not happy with them. The Afters reverses that change. One author loves using "&lt;&lt; text string &gt;&gt;" in their books to indicate non-verbal communication between two characters. << do you believe in telepathy? >>

Last edited by DNSB; 06-08-2024 at 03:29 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 04:22 PM   #22
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do it similarly with Vellum made eBooks. As for the excessive chapter header divs, I dump them all as they aren't needed.
Yes, those chapter header divs are ones that I delete, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since Vellum is pretty consistent, I have a collection of saved searches and automations in Sigil to do the clean up.
  1. Replace the media queries stylesheet with a stylesheet with about 5 entries
  2. Run the HTML saved search/replace set
  3. Run the first automation collection
  4. Run the CSS cleanup saved search/replace set
  5. Manually run CSS reformat (multiple lines per style) to clean up the blank lines in the stylesheet
  6. Run the second automation collection
  7. Run the Afters saved search/replace set
  8. Use Tag Mechanic to remove blank <div> and <span>
  9. Run the second automation to check everything is okay

Some oddities are that the HTML search/replace set replaces any &lt; and &gt; in the HTML files with #lt; and #gt; since the CustomCleanerPlus plugin I use with Sigil is not happy with them. The Afters reverses that change. One author loves using "&lt;&lt; text string &gt;&gt;" in their books to indicate non-verbal communication between two characters. << do you believe in telepathy? >>
Thanks DNSB. I must admit that's pretty overwhelming to me, but I appreciate the roadmap
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edit book details