Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-03-2024, 04:43 PM   #16
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, I confirm.
Newest, fresh build from github.

I did more tests.
The problem only occurs if the entries in the OPF file (manifest + spine) exist, but the NCX file itself is missing.

If the NCX file is not there and the OPF file is totally cleared then Sigil handles it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	noncx1.png
Views:	59
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	210593   Click image for larger version

Name:	noncx2.png
Views:	58
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	210594  
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 04:50 PM   #17
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
But no actual crash, just an uncaught exception thrown. That is how it is supposed to work.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2024, 04:50 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Also if the toc.ncx is present in the epub but is not referenced in the content.opf, Sigil will offer to create a toc.ncx and then complain about an unmanifested file for the original toc.ncx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-03 135014.png
Views:	12
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	210595  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 04:53 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
But no actual crash, just an uncaught exception thrown. That is how it is supposed to work.
In the first case that BeckyeBook mentions where the toc.ncx is not present but is referenced in the content.opf, I get the show details/close popup but Sigil closes in a second or so.
Old 09-03-2024, 04:56 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My Sigil doesn't close. It claims it may need to close, but ultimately, it just opens to a default empty epub.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2024, 04:58 PM   #21
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am seeing the following.
(because the epub is corrupt and claims a file in the manifest that does not exist).

Sigil detects that and throws an exception resulting in the need for Sigil to close.

Here is the message I am seeing:

Sigil has encountered a problem.
Sigil may need to close.

Details:
Error info: Cannot load file /Users/kbhend/Desktop/Dummy2.epub: /Users/kbhend/Library/Application Support/sigil-ebook/sigil/workspace/Sigil-ReZIKE/OEBPS/toc.ncx: No such file or directory
Sigil version: 2.3.1
Runtime Qt: 6.7.2
Compiled Qt: 6.7.2
System: macOS Ventura (13.6)
Architecture: x86_64

I do not get Sigil closing but that epub will not open resulting in a new empty window.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:00 PM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My Sigil doesn't close. It claims it may need to close, but ultimately, it just opens to a default empty epub.
Yes, that is expected behaviour. The exception may be able to be caught and recovered but it not Sigil will abort. This is *not* the same things as a crash.

An actual crash will result in a segfault with abrupt shutdown, not being caught and later shutting down if needed.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-03-2024 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:03 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Interesting. With my build, Sigil closes by itself in a couple of seconds.

Event viewer shows:

Spoiler:
Quote:
Faulting application name: Sigil.exe, version: 2.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x66d76ded
Faulting module name: Sigil.exe, version: 2.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x66d76ded
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002e963e
Faulting process id: 0x0x1EB4
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DAFE440AFA59D6
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Sigil\Sigil.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Sigil\Sigil.exe
Report Id: 557e3528-3514-414d-8e11-939072538e0f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Quote:
Problem signature:
P1: Sigil.exe
P2: 2.3.1.0
P3: 66d76ded
P4: Sigil.exe
P5: 2.3.1.0
P6: 66d76ded
P7: c0000005
P8: 00000000002e963e
P9:
P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQue ue\AppCrash_Sigil.exe_22321189464b23e39bb45bb11425 1da377f2b6e_f4a0cf93_d31eaead-3c61-4389-a87c-d52b45f4572d

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: ab618614-e0db-4011-8856-bec9fc4d0506
Report Status: 4
Hashed bucket:
Cab Guid: 0
Attached Files
File Type: zip Report.zip (4.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 09-03-2024, 05:04 PM   #24
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm… On my system (Windows 10 Pro) Sigil closes totally.

I am not able to click the “Show Details...” button because Sigil just shuts down.

Tested on 2.3.0 original + 2.3.1 my build.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:05 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Also if the toc.ncx is present in the epub but is not referenced in the content.opf, Sigil will offer to create a toc.ncx and then complain about an unmanifested file for the original toc.ncx.
Yes that is expected behaviour.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:11 PM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Hmmm… On my system (Windows 10 Pro) Sigil closes totally.

I am not able to click the “Show Details...” button because Sigil just shuts down.

Tested on 2.3.0 original + 2.3.1 my build.
Sigil 2.3.0 will segfault due to the warning message causing a crash. Sigil 2.3.1 caught the exception, warning you that it may need to close. Having a corrupt (missing files) in the manifest but one that is referenced from elsewhere will do that.

It is not a bug as far as I am concerned as once the manifest can not be trusted, what can you do but error out letting the user know. My guess if you enable the Sigil DEBUG log file using an environment variable you might hopefully get more information.

I am nicely seeing the reason in the details and no closing at all.

Last edited by KevinH; 09-03-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:19 PM   #27
BeckyEbook
Guru

The problem occurs for me when I run Sigil with the parameter. Then and only then I have a crash.

If Sigil is opened and I manually select the problematic epub file from disk - I can click the “Show Details...” button. In that case no crash.

Code:
Error info: Cannot load file d:\Download\Dummy2.epub: C:/Users/Becky/AppData/Local/sigil-ebook/sigil/workspace/Sigil-gBnKeE/OEBPS/toc.ncx: Nie można odnaleźć określonego pliku.
Sigil version: 2.3.1
Runtime Qt: 6.7.2
Compiled Qt: 6.7.2
System: Windows 10 Version 22H2
Architecture: x86_64
Old 09-03-2024, 05:19 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But I think they are saying the Sigil IS abruptly closing on them. Even 2.3.1.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:22 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Ahh... maybe another case of a problem stemming from double-clicking an epub rather using File->Open from a running Sigil?
Old 09-03-2024, 05:31 PM   #30
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Either way you end up in the LoadFile() routine in MainWindow.cpp and the exception (a runtime exception) is caught here:

Code:
  } catch (const std::runtime_error &e) {
       ShowMessageOnStatusBar();
       // ImportHTML/ImportEPUB use wait cursor and can throw exceptions caught here
       QApplication::restoreOverrideCursor();
       Utility::DisplayExceptionErrorDialog(tr("Cannot load file %1: %2")
                                             .arg(QDir::toNativeSeparators(fullfilepath))
                                             .arg(e.what()));
   } catch (QString& err) {
       ShowMessageOnStatusBar();
       // ImportHTML/ImportEPUB use wait cursor and can throw exceptions caught here
       QApplication::restoreOverrideCursor();
       Utility::DisplayStdErrorDialog(err);
   }

// If we got to here some sort of error occurred while loading the file
    // and potentially has left the GUI in a nasty state (like on initial startup)
    // Fallback to displaying a new book instead so GUI integrity is maintained.
    CreateNewBook();
    return false;
}

And a new empty epub is created as a result in an attempt to keep going.

So for some reason, this code is not happening when launching sigil by double-clicking on a epub on Windows?