Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2024, 08:16 PM   #16
Kayaditi
Kayaditi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Thank you. I went ahead & matched mine to yours but it still doesn't update in Calibre. It worked once May 26 and never again. Thought maybe the 2nd image may mean something to you since it shows something "corrupt". (Those settings were before I changed to match yours.)

(I don't have a paperclip. There's an image button to attach an image & I thought I put the URL there but it appears I messed up. First time I've had to share an image that way so not surprised I didn't get something right.)

Kayaditi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 08:17 PM   #17
Kayaditi

ok the images did not appear to work with the "add image" button. This is supposed to be the public link. I tested it here & it worked.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QsKqVmcq8i3ULT218
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d8LNyZSQKCYyfGac8
Advert
Old 06-01-2024, 04:09 AM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
That image suggests that your KoboReader.sqlite database has been corrupted. This can happen when your Kobo is not safely ejected. Generally, I wait until the connected and charging screen disappears before disconnecting. Unless you did a signout/signin or other action to clear up the corruption, it's probable that your Libra Colour automatically did that for you. It seems that you have 7 successful database/config backups from 2024-May-30 and 1 from 2024-May-31. The sucessful backups are the .zip files with the filename looking like:

KoboReader-KoboLibraColour-N428123456789-20240530-214521.zip

The N428 is the serial number prefix, 20240530 is the date (yyyy-mm-dd), 214521 is the time (hh-mm-ss).

I've attached an image of what files you will see if you open that file in an archive utility (my preference is 7-Zip). To do a database restore, copy the BookReader.sqlite and KoboReader.sqlite files to the .kobo directory on your Kobo.

To get the paperclip icon and the Manage Attachments button, click on Go Advanced. Most sites these days do not allow other sites to proxy content so the Insert Image is pretty much a dead letter.

Personally, I only backup the database once per day and keep the latest 5 backups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-01 010650.png
Views:	62
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	208622  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:46 AM   #19
Kayaditi

I appreciate your help so much. Can't say it enough.
I moved the files you mentioned and no longer saw a corrupted piece of backup happening. Yay! But then when I connected to Calibre I got this error (see pic). The main point being that it still doesn't backup annotations, reading progress etc. So I'm unclear what I corrected. (that error only popped up the 1st time I connected though)

To avoid issues in the future... I'm very careful to disconnect from the PC but you mentioned waiting for the "connected and charging" screen to disappear from the Kobo. This doesn't happen on mine. PC says it's safe to disconnect and I can wait for 5 minutes even and the Kobo "connected..." screen never leaves. (Kindle was instant so surely I'm waiting long enough) Naturally I thought that screen simply stays in Kobos.

(Paperclip is very handy. Shame it's hidden. I like your settings for once a day5 copies & switched. I'd followed the advice of someone online when I first set it up. They did 10 a day so I went down the middle. LOL)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kobo error 2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	208628  
Old 06-01-2024, 10:01 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaditi View Post

To avoid issues in the future... I'm very careful to disconnect from the PC but you mentioned waiting for the "connected and charging" screen to disappear from the Kobo. This doesn't happen on mine. PC says it's safe to disconnect and I can wait for 5 minutes even and the Kobo "connected..." screen never leaves. (Kindle was instant so surely I'm waiting long enough) Naturally I thought that screen simply stays in Kobos.

How are you disconnecting? Use calibre's disconnect.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2024, 10:28 AM   #21
Kayaditi

14 years using Calibre and never knew you could or should eject directly in Calibre. I've always done it at the PC like with any phone or tablet. Learn something new every day. Thanks
Old 06-01-2024, 11:02 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you. I went ahead & matched mine to yours but it still doesn't update in Calibre. It worked once May 26 and never again. Thought maybe the 2nd image may mean something to you since it shows something "corrupt". (Those settings were before I changed to match yours.)

(I don't have a paperclip. There's an image button to attach an image & I thought I put the URL there but it appears I messed up. First time I've had to share an image that way so not surprised I didn't get something right.)

You need to attach your images to make sure they show up and are always available. Posting a link will not always work as eventually it will expire. So please attach your images and delete the links.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:04 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
After an eject in calibre, I wait until I am back to the home screen before I pull the USB cable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:05 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How are you disconnecting? Use calibre's disconnect.
Especially in some versions of Windows that have more than one eject location and where eject may not happen, even though it claims it has.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:44 AM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Especially in some versions of Windows that have more than one eject location and where eject may not happen, even though it claims it has.
When using calibre, I use calibre's eject. Otherwise, I use file explorer's eject. I think I've sometimes had unreliable results using the system tray eject.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 02:09 PM   #26
Kayaditi

DNSB did explain how to find the better way to attach images since the one in this forum isn't ideal it seems (it only accepts a URL). They saw them and gave me some advice. Unfortunately I still can't get the Kobo to back up reading position, notes and the like. I'm not sure what else to try to get it to work. (it's the new Libra Colour)
Old 06-01-2024, 02:24 PM   #27
Kayaditi

i don't know if this image is useful. The highlighted book is the example. I've read the book days past May 26. I've made notes & highlights but the columns are empty or wrong. Where does Calibre back up the annotations?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	208637  
Old 06-01-2024, 11:19 PM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've found that disconnecting from calibre (I use the Smart Eject plugin) or by right clicking on the drive in File Explorer and then clicking on eject work reliably. Using the system tray's USB icon to eject is very unreliable and all too often does not even go far enough in the disconnect to trigger my Kobo to continue on.
Old 06-01-2024, 11:27 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
i don't know if this image is useful. The highlighted book is the example. I've read the book days past May 26. I've made notes & highlights but the columns are empty or wrong. Where does Calibre back up the annotations?
Have you configured the columns for the annotations and other optional bits? I've attached an image of the columns I've set up. The Annotations column is, obviously, for annotations, the rest are reading status, word count and page count.

I've added images for some of the setup items I use. I use the Annotations plugin to fetch annotations and store them in the custom Annotations column.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-01 202007.png
Views:	58
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	208643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-01 202212.png
Views:	54
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	208644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-01 202555.png
Views:	56
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	208645  
Old 06-02-2024, 04:59 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
There are several methods for Annotations between Calibre or PC and Kobo. Maybe 6.

You have to manually select import. One method stores the annotations in Calibre. The method I use is in Kobo Utilities. I don't keep the annotations in Calibre as they are used part of a proof/edit cycle with version control. So I select the ebook when Kobo connected and jobs=0 and Kobo Utilities, read annotations and tap copy (to clipboard) on the popup window. Then paste to a new file in a text editor. The Calibre built method suits just one version, rather than my workflow where I might have over 40 versions over an 8 year period.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote