Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall be the selection for our April Book Club Classic?
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway 11 32.35%
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells 13 38.24%
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck 14 41.18%
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson 10 29.41%
Shōgun by James Clavell 8 23.53%
Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett 8 23.53%
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde 5 14.71%
Manhattan Transfer by John Dos Passos 5 14.71%
Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry 8 23.53%
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens 5 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #16
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
You can count on me joining you this month (and not forgetting to comment afterwards as I did last year ) if the book is one of those (these???):
Cannery Row, Shōgun, Under the Volcano.
If another book is picked, I think I'll read Cannery Row in April anyway.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
You can count on me joining you this month (and not forgetting to comment afterwards as I did last year ) if the book is one of those (these???):
Cannery Row, Shōgun, Under the Volcano.
If another book is picked, I think I'll read Cannery Row in April anyway.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The good news for me is that Cannery Row is literally on my TBR pile for this year. I have a table where I've stacked all the paperbacks I want to read this year and Cannery Row is at the top of the pile.

Hemmingway is also there (this year and next), but not this specific title. I'm very interested though as the title reminds me of my Dad. He would always quote those lines from Donne's poem:

Quote:
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.
I can always afford to dive into another Wells novel and I haven't read The Invisible Man so that was a no-brainer and Treasure Island? Yep.

Great selections this month.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #19
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Don't forget that Hemingway is public domain in Canada!
Does anyone have a link for this? I didn't see it at http://www.gutenberg.ca/.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I found a couple of read-online sites; better than that, both Kobo and Amazon have it for 99¢ and I assume it's couponable at Kobo.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
The place to look for PD books in Canada is Faded Page. They currently only have 5 of the Hemingway books, and For Whom the Bell Tolls isn't one of them, yet.

The main work of proofreading and preparing the ebooks is done by DPC (Distributed Proofreaders of Canada), and they haven't gotten to it yet. (Project Gutenberg in Canada pulls from a variety of sources, but the primary Canadian one is FadedPage. )

There are, however, inexpensive versions on both Amazon and Kobo.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They have most of Hemingway's other books at my library with the exception of For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #23
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The place to look for PD books in Canada is Faded Page. They currently only have 5 of the Hemingway books, and For Whom the Bell Tolls isn't one of them, yet.

The main work of proofreading and preparing the ebooks is done by DPC (Distributed Proofreaders of Canada), and they haven't gotten to it yet. (Project Gutenberg in Canada pulls from a variety of sources, but the primary Canadian one is FadedPage. )

There are, however, inexpensive versions on both Amazon and Kobo.
Thanks for the link.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And while we're talking about PD books, the folks at DPC can always use more volunteer proofreaders. They have a huge backlog of books, and if you have time, they can use the help. You don't need to know much about proofreading, and you don't have to commit to a huge amount of time, but if you think what they're trying to do is valuable, and you have any time at all, consider joining. (There are similar efforts in other countries, but Canada's is one of the better organized and especially important because we're a Life+50 country.)
Old 03-25-2015, 04:24 PM   #25
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Don't forget that Hemingway is public domain in Canada!
True, but I've read it and based on the posts here it's not available at the PD sites (although it is indeed cheap to buy in Canada).

With the dreaded (I tried and failed to read this last year) Cannery Row in the lead I'll have to do strategic non-Steinbeck voting so Hemingway might get a vote anyway.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
True, but I've read it and based on the posts here it's not available at the PD sites (although it is indeed cheap to buy in Canada).

With the dreaded (I tried and failed to read this last year) Cannery Row in the lead I'll have to do strategic non-Steinbeck voting so Hemingway might get a vote anyway.
Hey! Stop that!!!

Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #27
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
I didn't vote for Cannery Row since I've probably read it a dozen times over many years, but today I am delighted that it is leading, and I'm ready to read it again. I just spent a happy day on Cannery Row in Monterey, California where the buildings mostly still exist that were described by Steinbeck. Here are photos I snapped today of three historical markers and a bust of Steinbeck that some may find interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-3-25 (6).jpg
Views:	348
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	136382   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-3-25 (4).jpg
Views:	328
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	136383   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-3-25 (3).jpg
Views:	337
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	136384   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-3-25 (7).JPG
Views:	339
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	136385  
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
April 2015 Book Club Vote

On my daily walk with Norton today I finished an audiobook version of Well's The Invisible Man. It was a thoroughly entertaining adventure that I don't think anyone would regret reading, but I'm not sure how much discussion it world generate. On the other hand, it is fun to speculate what each of us might do if we were in the title character's predicament.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I didn't vote for Cannery Row since I've probably read it a dozen times over many years, but today I am delighted that it is leading, and I'm ready to read it again. I just spent a happy day on Cannery Row in Monterey, California where the buildings mostly still exist that were described by Steinbeck. Here are photos I snapped today of three historical markers and a bust of Steinbeck that some may find interesting.
Excellent! Love that photo with the locations pointed out. I guess I didn't realize they were are REAL. I just assumed he'd taking liberties, but apparently not.

I did know about Ed Ricketts/Doc and assumed the Cannery was real, but beyond that I figured it was mostly fiction....
Old 03-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I've walked the streets many times, and much of it is still there, though it has been "renovated" (cleaned up) for the tourist trade. Still, you can see the bones of a working coast with canneries and the businesses to support them and their workers.

I honestly didn't see a single book in this month's list that I wouldn't want to read.