Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
ConstantineXVI
ConstantineXVI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2I
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoesecond View Post
The new Kindle seems to have some exciting new PDF features (hightlights and note taking, among others).

Could you please check if these come with 2.5.6?

Thanks.
They don't. According to the K3 manual, it will ship with 3.0. Hopefully they'll be gracing the current models (both K2 and DX) with 3.0 as well.
ConstantineXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Amen.

P.S. Where did you get the K3 manual from?
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
No, no higlighting or notes with PDF & 2.5.6
Tested with 2 PDF-Files on my Kindle...
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #19
ConstantineXVI
ConstantineXVI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2I
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoesecond View Post
Amen.

P.S. Where did you get the K3 manual from?
Right here.
ConstantineXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Thanks.

I'm reading some truly exciting things about new PDF features:

"While reading a PDF document, you can zoom in or adjust the contrast to make the document easier to read"

"Place Cursor in Page — displays a blinking cursor on the page. Use this option when you are zoomed in to a PDF page and you want to create a note or highlight, or use the dictionary lookup. Move the cursor to a location on the page, then begin typing to create a note or click to start a highlight."

"Native PDF support via Adobe® Reader® technology."

"Your Kindle is able to display most PDF documents, including password protected PDFs."

Wow, just wow!
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #21
haylocki
haylocki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
Autoupdate is the problem... If anyone of the more tech savvy users could look into disabling autoupdates on the Kindle 2i 2.5.3, it would help out many of us...

Technically it seems possible.

Hi, I believe installing a patch for fonts or screen savers will prevent the auto update feature working.

See this post :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

Of course you apply the patches at your own risk.

Though I have applied the fonts, screensaver and usbnetwork patches with no problem

They are actually very easy to install.

Cheers, Ian
haylocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Except that they're now update-safe, so that won't 'block' updates anymore . You'd have to patch it a little bit to behave like older fonts/ss hacks in order to actually make updates fail. (It's not exactly a 'block', it'll just make the update fail to install).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #23
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Had my wireless on for about 24 hours now and still not updated to 2.5.6
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #24
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
I had 2.5.3 on my K2i. I downloaded 2.5.4 from Amazon's site and manually updated to it. It then immediately downloaded the 2.5.6 update which I then updated to Yeah!!!! Up to date again
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #25
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Automagically updated to 2.5.6 with NiLuJe's hacks and (yes) still have internet in Brazil country.
So, good news up here!
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #26
johnpdoe
johnpdoe began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi,

Is this update only for the K2 or does it work for the DXG (and every other kindle)?

I am in the UK and my kindle has not said anything about any update...
johnpdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #27
avinatbezeq
Connoisseur
avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.avinatbezeq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KDXG
DXG in Israel - Still 2.5.5 (even after sync)
avinatbezeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #28
myral
Enthusiast
myral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PocketBook 360, Kindle 2, CyBook gen 3
my Ê2i has not updated since 2.5.3 and I've still lost internet access in Greece. This first occurred when I turned on wireless during a trip to Austria and Sweden. Any ideas?
myral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #29
haylocki
haylocki began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Hi,

I have the jailbreak, screensaver, fonts and usb network patches installed on my kindle 2i

I have just tried manually upgrading the firmware from 2.5.2 to 2.5.5. (twice)

It failed to upgrade both times. So it appears that at least one of these patches will stop the firmware from upgrading, at least on mine it does.

Blocking, failing to install, same end result no ?

Cheers, Ian
haylocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Depending on which specific ss/fonts hack you have installed, they may prevent official updates, yes. Others, (ie. check the dev subforum) don't .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote