Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-01-2024, 06:07 PM   #16
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
And there are no new directories anywhere?
And the count of files is exactly two different? (dir /s)

Then it's an outage. Their authorization infrastructure bit it.

I know nobody said anything about libraries/OverDrive, but that checks out ok.

Are there any free books available now through B&N (with DRM)?

$0.99 is too rich for my blood.
There's a whole section for free books - I think this one was one of the weekend freebies.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-01-2024 at 06:12 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 06:12 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have a $20 BN gift card and it seems I waited too long. I have only myself to blame. I have the Nook app on my Windows 11 computer and I thought I had time.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2024, 06:13 PM   #18
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I have a $20 BN gift card and it seems I waited too long. I have only myself to blame. I have the Nook app on my Windows 11 computer and I thought I had time.
Splurge on a physical book, perhaps? At least until they figure out a way to DRM those.
Old 06-01-2024, 06:21 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Splurge on a physical book, perhaps? At least until they figure out a way to DRM those.
Or gift wrap or greeting cards or sumthin. It can be used. Just the same, I’m hoping they’ll crack the DRM one more time and then I’ll leap on it. But as you say, the gift card can be used. It would have been nice to treat myself to a wishlist book that’s never gone on sale, but as I said, I have only myself to blame. I’m in wait and see mode.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 06:31 PM   #20
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Hey ownedbycats

Your new book is just a train wreck.
It has "compression" on encrypted files.
The order of everything is different and sizes of things are different.

Are there other books with a problem or is this a one off?
Or is it "creation on the fly" that is broken?

Wow, what a cumbersome way to run a business.
They are "processing" my order.

How the heck do you download???

Even for free I spent too much.

Last edited by Renate; 06-01-2024 at 06:44 PM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2024, 06:47 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I used the Windows Nook app - unfortunately it's no longer available, but I had it already installed and it still worked. It downloads a book somewhere 50 subfolders into one of the appdata folders.
Old 06-01-2024, 06:53 PM   #22
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I used the Windows Nook app - unfortunately it's no longer available...
Lol! Bite me, B&N.
Quote:
We're sorry, but the ability to sideload NOOK purchased content has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience.

—NOOK Customer Care (@NOOK_Care) September 17, 2014
I guess that I'm just a decade too late.

I guess that screwing up the DRM is just their way of putting a nail in the coffin.

Last edited by Renate; 06-01-2024 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 07:06 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Honestly, them killing off the Nook app probably should've been a warning sign that something like this would happen - assuming its not just some outage or whatever.
Old 06-01-2024, 07:14 PM   #24
Renate
Wizard

Or maybe your Windows app is stripping the rights so as to allow you only to save non-DRM files?
That would jive with everything (attempted to) compress.

Did it update itself recently?
Old 06-01-2024, 07:17 PM   #25
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I haven't noticed any update. I failed to mention that it error'd the first time I tried to download the book but the second time worked.
Old 06-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #26
Renate
Wizard

Hmm, you need WireShark to see what it was asking of B&N.
Old 06-01-2024, 07:24 PM   #27
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
I stand corrected. There is a difference.

Old titles, in their rights.xml have
Quote:
<encryptedKey keyInfo=\"passHash\">XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</encryptedKey>
New titles:
Quote:
<encryptedKey>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</encryptedKey>
This seems to be a new change to downloaded books. The tools should fail to extract a book key, since the key is no longer encrypted using the per-user key and the padding will be incorrect.
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:43 PM   #28
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeYellow View Post
This seems to be a new change to downloaded books.
I'm not saying that you're wrong, but how do you know that they just didn't drop (intentionally or otherwise) the XML attribute keyInfo="passHash" ?

Have you tried just writing that in?
Old 06-01-2024, 09:06 PM   #29
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I'm not saying that you're wrong, but how do you know that they just didn't drop (intentionally or otherwise) the XML attribute keyInfo="passHash" ?

Have you tried just writing that in?
The point is that indicates a new key encryption.

The "passHash" encryption is publicly documented, and is rather simple.
It's AES-CBC-128, and the key is the first 16 bytes of the 20 byte base64-decoded 'cchashdata', with an IV of all 0's.

The new 'rights.xml' keys cannot not be decrypted with this key.
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 02:59 AM   #30
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Odd that I didn't get a rights.xml at all. The only thing I can think of is that I'm in Canada - considering that I had to use a workaround to access the app in the first place.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 06-02-2024 at 03:02 AM.