Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
spleen
spleen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
I've bought a AR5B half-mini pci wifi card
wich has atheros chipset
I've installed on my kindle DXg, then make a reboot, but if I type lspci it didn't recognise it
I don't know if there's a bios block like for hp o IBM notebook on wifi card (on hw pid)
athk5 it's supported by kernel 2.6.26 (kindle 3 kernel)

../gplrelease-3.1/linux-2.6.26/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k

AR61026 it's only for embedded
spleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
I've bought a AR5B half-mini pci wifi card
wich has atheros chipset
I've installed on my kindle DXg, then make a reboot, but if I type lspci it didn't recognise it
I don't know if there's a bios block like for hp o IBM notebook on wifi card (on hw pid)
athk5 it's supported by kernel 2.6.26 (kindle 3 kernel)

../gplrelease-3.1/linux-2.6.26/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k

AR61026 it's only for embedded
You still need to recompile the linux kernel for Kindle (and add that module for support via menuconfig). It only comes with modules for stuff it has.

And FYI: When you recompile the kernel, you need to copy over all modules (not just the new ones), that's how I bricked my first Kindle.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
spleen
spleen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
You still need to recompile the linux kernel for Kindle (and add that module for support via menuconfig). It only comes with modules for stuff it has.

And FYI: When you recompile the kernel, you need to copy over all modules (not just the new ones), that's how I bricked my first Kindle.
there's a way to unbrik a kindle?

thanks
spleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #19
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Hm, but it should show up in lspci even if the Wifi driver isn't provided. lspci just scans the bus. So the PCI (-E) bus might be a bit picky about what devices it will accept (the "BIOS" block you mentioned, spleen)....

I'd be also veeeery interested in the outcome since here in Germany there's not much to gain from just 3G. A combined bluetooth/wifi card would be a lot better (even if I have to hack the config frontend myself...)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
Jethro
Jethro began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Any update on this? I'm very interested, I have a Kindle Dx in denmark, and the whispernet only works for shop and wikipedia, so if i could install a pci card for WiFi instead, that would be awesome. I've messed around with it a bit my self, put an intelWM3945ABG wireless card in my kindle, but i dont know enough about Linux to be able to get the proper drivers working...
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Me toooooo. Pretty interesting hack. Subscribed.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #22
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
Just give up
the kernel source code doesn't support wifi card we commonly used.
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #23
Jethro

What if the drivers were installed through doukan instead?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
What if the drivers were installed through doukan instead?
What? Duokan is software that runs on the Kindle's OS (Linux). You install drivers into the Kernel, which loads Linux, which loads Kindle Framework or Duokan. The ONLY way to do wifi support is to recompile the kernel (which is not hard, I've done it literally 17 times now).
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #25
mark03
Enthusiast
mark03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Don't forget that the mini pcie slot defines both USB and PCIe signals. Some cards only use USB, others PCIe, so if your new gizmo doesn't show up in lspci, try lsusb instead.

I think someone said the 3G in the Kindle 3 is a USB device. It wouldn't surprise me if those were the only signals active on the connector. I'd have to look at the i.MX535 datasheet again, but it may not even feature a PCI bus. In which case, if your shiny new WiFi card *does* have a PCIe interface, you're out of luck.
mark03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
What? Duokan is software that runs on the Kindle's OS (Linux). You install drivers into the Kernel, which loads Linux, which loads Kindle Framework or Duokan. The ONLY way to do wifi support is to recompile the kernel (which is not hard, I've done it literally 17 times now).
Okay. I've read your guide: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91862

I'm just a bit wary about doing it. If I get something wrong, won't i brick the device? And on a slightly related note, is there any chance that you could help me with the question i posted about restoring my 3.g after i screwed it up;
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...58#post1635258

Thank you
Old 07-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #27
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Okay. I've read your guide: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91862

I'm just a bit wary about doing it. If I get something wrong, won't i brick the device? And on a slightly related note, is there any chance that you could help me with the question i posted about restoring my 3.g after i screwed it up;
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...58#post1635258

Thank you
That's why you should always have the serial recovery port ready.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #28
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
What WiFi technology does the K3 use?

Couldn't people just buy one and put it in the KDX (and install FW3.1)
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #29
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
What WiFi technology does the K3 use?

Couldn't people just buy one and put it in the KDX (and install FW3.1)
It's a chip soldered to the main-board.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #30
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark03 View Post
I think someone said the 3G in the Kindle 3 is a USB device. It wouldn't surprise me if those were the only signals active on the connector. I'd have to look at the i.MX535 datasheet again, but it may not even feature a PCI bus. In which case, if your shiny new WiFi card *does* have a PCIe interface, you're out of luck.
I just checked and you're right that the anycom module is coupled via the USB pins on the mini-PCIe connector. And I also don't see a PCIe bridge in the Freescale documentation either, just the USB OTG and USB Host (the latter is probably coupled with the PCIe).

Toggling WAN state via the kindle FW does enable the USB bus, as it seems (not just switching device state).

Hopefully, tomorrow the postman will deliver a USB-based mini-PCIe Wifi card to my house. I'm planning to really give this a try :-) (well, I'll have to fiddle a bit with the antenna part, I guess)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx hack wifi